The Chainlink

Hey you.... out there in the cold.... are you on Chainlink?

Kind of missing a "who did you see on your commute" today but for people you are not able to identify.  So here goes. I know you nord' sidersss are swimming in random strangers on bikes, but where I live it's not quite a daily occurrence to see another cyclist on my way to/from work.

Views: 2806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I commute from Skokie to the Medical District via Pulaski-Elston-Odgen but I usually leave Skokie around 5am and so don't see too many fellow bikers on my commute other than Henry which I catch up with around Elston and Addison (although I haven't seen him in a few weeks). The return trip starts around 4pm. I'm usually in a blue jacket with a yellow backpack, helmet flashers as well as bike mounted lights.

hey - that is the west side ("the best side") - I live there ;-)

DB

Lisa Curcio said:

That is north of Madison, so that is the north side ;-).  

foofy q. said:

I ride damen to milwaukee to chicago mostly and have a pink backpack! LOVING RIDING IN THE COLD it's so much fun! wooooooo

It is the "west side" (I live there, too) but in the never ending Chicago battle between north and south anything north of Madison is the "north side" ;-).

dan brown said:

DB

Lisa Curcio said:

foofy q. said:

I ride damen to milwaukee to chicago mostly and have a pink backpack! LOVING RIDING IN THE COLD it's so much fun! wooooooo

I wish I could commute to work on my bike!

I commute from Harwood Heights everyday!  I take Narragansett > Berteau > Milwaukee > Des Plaines > Washington > Franklin.  I rarely see bikers except for a window washer here and there on N Mil. Maybe 2-3 other commuters N of Addison, but it's rare. There is a girl who i've see riding on a touring bike near Portage Park, but we haven't connected. Not sure if she is commuting or just joyriding.

I am usually wearing a grey cycling jacket, grey shorts and black long underwear, I ride a dark Grey Salsa touring bike w/ loaded black panniers. I have a beard, but quite a few of us do in the winter.  You can also see me running errands with my black '69 Schwinn Racer in that neighborhood. Or possibly on my tomato red Schwinn Homegrown with my daughter in tow.  I am what they call "bikesexual".

David crZven said:

I virtually never see other commuters on my route even at the height of the summer in perfect riding weather.    The Northwest Side out toward Harwood Heights and the like is a real ghost town for commuter bicyclists.    I finally saw someone last night, but I had to get all the way to Bryn Mawr and the North Branch Trail for it to happen.   I am the big person in the bright yellow upper garment and the blue tights and black bike shorts on the lower half on the old ancient breaking down 1980's road bike.

Technically you're correct, Lisa- But I'm originally from McKinley Park and my Pop always says that he gets a nosebleed whenever he has to cross Roosevelt Rd.. 

Lisa Curcio said:

It is the "west side" (I live there, too) but in the never ending Chicago battle between north and south anything north of Madison is the "north side" ;-).

dan brown said:

DB

Lisa Curcio said:

foofy q. said:

I see a ton of the same people on Lincoln>Wells (many on both AM & PM commute). I am not shy, but think I may just come off slightly creepy opening the conversation with "Hey, I seen you this morning & Last night/week/every day for the past couple months." 

It is hard to miss me since I got a wonder Hi-Viz Vest. Boy is it pretty (ugly)! 

Late morning today 12/6, Lakefront path Argyle to Monroe/Dearborn on red brompton, I saw 15 northbound riders -most looking very serious- and one other southbound- cheerful and smiling-....but didn't recognize anyone.  Nice ride, despite headwind all the way.

On Augusta just west of Noble, the fellow with the black and white checked scarf just coming out and then turning left on Noble to whom I said "good morning" because it is a good morning to be on our bikes--are you on the Chainlink?

It has been just over a week since I saw anyone on my inbound commute...Webster/Elston/Milwaukee/Kinzie.  Even at 230AM I usually see someone.  Can't miss me at that hour...twin flashing lights, twin bags on the back and a conspicuity vest that after 5 years finally looks lived in.

How about having a Wave Winter?  No large semiphores, just a couple of fingers off the bars and a nod?  Like Wave Wednesday of a couple of years ago.  From Solstice to Equinox?  The lower the temp,the higher the wave.

Just to notice someone who is as "off" as we are.

You'll see me M-F biking from Wicker Park to Millenium Park.  Milwaukee to Kinzie to Wells Clark to Washington to Michigan.

Black roll-up Chrome bag, billed helmet, bike tights and usually sunglasses on a single-speed.

I ride in about once a week sometimes twice. I wear different clothes, take different routes from Skokie to the loop but am often on Lincoln, and ride different bikes.  I have a black helmet with a blinkie attached to the back with clear duct tape and stop at red lights. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service