The Chainlink

Ever since I started riding in Chicago over two years ago I've been careful to ride that fine line between moving traffic and parked cars. Yesterday that all went to pot when someone didn't look and opened their car door right into my hip. Luckly I walked away injury free, but stunned none the less. At the time I didn't even think to get the lady's info, I was just please that neither I nor my bike were damaged. I even went down to Iron Cycles and had them give the bike a look. The only thing that was injured was my cell phone, which was in my right pocket, and as it seems took the impact for me.

Views: 1251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The purpose of art is to make you think -and FEEL.

The art does that. It's all in the interpretation. People see in it what they bring with themselves to the seeing.

Some see an implied threat. Others see a warning.

It's all in what you see and bring with you to the seeing.

It's ART.

Michael Perz said:
Holy hell. If there is even the slightest trace of pure, unbridled hatred ever coursing through my veins it is undoubtedly reserved for the vile realm of inhumanity known as public art.

Apologies for the interruption to this discussion. Carry on. Dooring and whatnot.

lauren sailor said:
glad you're ok. it's a shame so many drivers (and passengers) open doors into moving traffic without looking first. it's against the law...not to mention common sense. in the meantime, ride defensively and stay out of the door zone! remember, the the door is always open...

I pull gently enough that they looked stunned, I just keep going and give a wave like it was both our faults. Maybe next time they will be more careful...

Duppie said:
He doesn't need a verbal exchange. He just exchanges bodily fluids;)

H3N3 said:

Juan said:
Yes, the door zone, it is what I have come to experience of late by pulling on those open doors without falling off just to let those dummys know just how close they are to ruining a cyclists day.
Interesting approach. I think I'm missing a piece though-- how do you get the drivers to consider the potential consequences of their open door? Is there some verbal exchange or maybe a flyer/leaflet you hand them?
I'm always shocked how many cyclists ride like 22 MPH down a bike lane. If someone does open their door without looking death will be sure and swift. Getting doored has always been my #1 fear. The greatest problem is people on their cell phones when they park. They are too distracted to think about how dangerous it is to open the door without looking. If I ever do get doored no matter how minor I will call the police and they will hopefully get a fine. Taking away money is the only way stupid humans learn sometimes.
This is why so many drivers are now driving way across the centerline (away from parked cars) on narrower two-way streets. Then we have to wave at them and get their attention so they'll move back to the side that they should be on.

milesperhour said:
Glad you're okay!

It just amazes me that people don't look before they open their doors and not necessarily even for bikes, but for other CARS!
It wasn't that long ago that the Wisconsin legislature passed an anti-dooring law and Gov. Doyle signed it. Unfortunately, relatively few non-cycling motorists are aware of this law, or they don't believe they should obey it. I know of too many non-cycling motorists (NCMs) in our central city neighborhoods who still believe bicycles should be on the sidewalk and adults should be using cars. Obviously, on Milwaukee's East Side and in Chicago, this belief conflicts with practicality. We need a way of instructing the NCM without having him cited and maybe arrested.
Never ride in the door zone. Take the lane. If someone gets pissed that you took the lane, remember, this is the same asshole that would door you if you rode in the door zone.

Came close to getting doored again yesterday. Using my many years of riding instincts, I slowed down as I was passing a taxi that had just stopped, and BAM! the rolly polly ignorant passenger swings the fricken door wide open.

I just let my bike roll without skidding into to door to let the passenger and cabbie know what a heinous act they had just perpetrated.

It was kinda funny, the cabbie was very sorry and the passenger was pissed at me for being in his way...

Juan said:

I pull gently enough that they looked stunned, I just keep going and give a wave like it was both our faults. Maybe next time they will be more careful...

Duppie said:
He doesn't need a verbal exchange. He just exchanges bodily fluids;)

H3N3 said:

Juan said:
Yes, the door zone, it is what I have come to experience of late by pulling on those open doors without falling off just to let those dummys know just how close they are to ruining a cyclists day.
Interesting approach. I think I'm missing a piece though-- how do you get the drivers to consider the potential consequences of their open door? Is there some verbal exchange or maybe a flyer/leaflet you hand them?

I hope Minh is OK! People, please stop riding the door zone!

Doored a few months back for the first time. Was on Armitage near Central Park and this lady in front of a Pentecostal church whipped her door open and hit my right shoulder. My right shoulder is already messed up because of an earlier injury and this didn't help things. Got really swollen, bruised, and scratched. Luckily, that was it and the bike was okay. Typically excuse: I didn't see you! I just kept yelling at her to "Open your eyes and look! Pay attention. Take a few seconds to check. You aren't the only one using the road.

The strange people inside the Pentecostal church came out and wanted to pray for me. You should have seen their faces when my first words were "I'm an atheist. It wont help anything but an ice pack would be appreciated. They actually brought me an ice pack, which I was grateful for. The way they looked at me made me feel like they wanted to kill me and burn my dead body to get rid of the evidence.

I never ride in the door zone but for some reason and at that exact moment I was not 100% focused and drifted right in the one spot I should never be. Will NEVER let it happen again!

Recent article by wkyc-tv. Bicyclists, car doors collide with painful results.

http://www.wkyc.com/mb/news/investigations/investigator-do-the-dutc...

Sorry that happened to you. 

Riding down from Evanston to Devon on Chicago Ave / N Clark... always weary of doors before turning on Devon.

The other day actually, an Uber was dropping off a passenger right next to the bike lane (so left side of the bike lane, I guess to not double park along the bike lane) on Wabash on my ride home. I had to yell: stop stop stop! and the passenger closed the door as he saw me coming ON THE BIKE LANE. 

Another instant, a lady on Clark started to open the door and I was able to slow down enough to hold it before it fully opened on me. 

Be careful out there.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service