The Chainlink

Gin Kilgore takes on The Suburban Cyclist tonight at 7 on WTTW

Chicago Critical Mass and Bike Winter stalwart, and all-around righteous dame Gin Kilgore will mop the floor in a debate with The Suburban Cyclist this evening at 7 on WTTW's Chicago Tonight talk show on channel 11:

Check out this The Suburban Cyclist's recent, extremely long rant against Chicago Critical Mass: http://www.chicagonow.com/urban-cyclist/2011/09/critical-massholes-...
Boy, I wouldn't know where to start setting this guy straight.

Views: 2836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott is clearly a savvy marketer who wrote the blog as a reaction to a certain cycling subculture.  In doing so he appeals to mainstream culture.  Guess which of the two is a bigger market for his book?  It's the perception that this is binary that's unfortunate: either you're a hipster or a suburban cyclist.  The reality is that there isn't even a linear cyclist identity continuum between exaggerated poles like that.  Cycling is for soccer dads and bmx grrrls.  It's for commuters and racers.  It's the beater and the dutch bike.  It's for those who advocate for more separate facilities and those who advocate for safer shared facilities.  Here's a rallying cry for a COALITION: a bicycle is a vehicle.  The point is that it's a better option than a car for our physical health, for our environment and probably for the economy in the long run.  So, we need a big tent.  We need to embrace the growth of the cycling industry, but we can't allow our grassroots to weaken.  LONG LIVE CCM!

It's an excellent, insightful book.  I recommend it.

Jamais716 said:

Check out Traffic - http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307264785

It's a really interesting read for anybody on the road.  He explains that part of why we get more frustrated in a car is our inability to communicate with others on the road.  Check out pages 22-24 in the Amazon preview for a much better explanation than I could possibly give.

Liz said:

I just find it interesting that even people who are otherwise polite and controlled "lose it" so quickly behind the wheel.

I face MANY exhaustively frustrating situations throughout the day at work, but I don't yell, scream, swear, and make loud noises there. 

I hate driving, and I have totally lost in while sitting behind the wheel in traffic.  There's not a good reason for this. So what is it about being in a car that changes how we deal with frustration in a healthy manner? 

I don't except to find a single answer, but I wonder how we can help change handling frustration while driving. 

Peenworm Grubologist said:

Well from my admittedly limited research I'm going to say that the primary cause of road rage is "driving a car."

Speaking from my own driving days trying to slog through the city can get exhaustingly frustrating just because of how many cars are trying to squeeze through the streets.

Once again, you should choose your words more carefully...There was a huge effort by Berwynites to save the spindle, there were reports on the attempt to save it for three weeks on just about every media outlet in Chicago.

John Greenfield said:

Joseph,

I actually have great fondness for that suburb - heck, some of my best friends live in Berwyn. I've led the Prague Rock Ride to a Czech restaurant and Fitzgeralds, as well as the Mission of Berwyn ride to the Depot Diner (in Austin) and the Friendly Tap. With a couple of good roots-rock venues and plenty of post-war bungalows, Berwyn is the best suburb to settle down in if you live the Rockabilly lifestyle.

But I must say, I'm disappointed in you Berwynites for not organizing to save the Car Spike (a spike-shaped object with cars impaled on it), one of Chicagoland's most iconic piece of public art and the ultimate monument to the failure of car culture.

FYI, the Spire is a 76-foot-deep hole near Navy Pier.

Cheers,

John Greenfield

We all followed the situation in Berwyn very closely, no edumacating necessary.

I personally communicated with the mayor about it (he returned my phone call-- nice, modest man) as well as the artist who created the spindle.

I know from personal conversations with John that he has a genuine fondness and appreciation for Berwyn and many other inner ring suburbs.

BJ, do you have contacts for these chainlinkers from Berwyn?

I've been watching closely as I have a friend who moved to Berwyn and it would be cool if there were some sort of bike scene there, but I've only seen evidence of maybe 4 members from Berwyn.

Also, while we're on the topic-- I was out there today and noticed those turbine things that are all over the parking lot where the spindle used to be-- maybe you know- do they generate electricity, or are they purely decorative?

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:

Once again, you should choose your words more carefully...There was a huge effort by Berwynites to save the spindle, there were reports on the attempt to save it for three weeks on just about every media outlet in Chicago.

John Greenfield said:

Joseph,

I actually have great fondness for that suburb - heck, some of my best friends live in Berwyn. I've led the Prague Rock Ride to a Czech restaurant and Fitzgeralds, as well as the Mission of Berwyn ride to the Depot Diner (in Austin) and the Friendly Tap. With a couple of good roots-rock venues and plenty of post-war bungalows, Berwyn is the best suburb to settle down in if you live the Rockabilly lifestyle.

But I must say, I'm disappointed in you Berwynites for not organizing to save the Car Spike (a spike-shaped object with cars impaled on it), one of Chicagoland's most iconic piece of public art and the ultimate monument to the failure of car culture.

Cheers,

John Greenfield

Hey H'...We have a new mayor who is bicycle friendly. We are currently working with ATA to resolve our inner burbia biking, walking and transportation issues. I have the ears of Berwyn listening to my ideas regarding some VERY NEAT bicycle events that will get done.>>>(tweed, family rides, races, etc.)...These things take time, but they will happen, very soon...The wind turbines at the Plaza are functional, they power the parking lot lights and exterior facia of the plaza. They are in keeping with the owners wish to patronize the arts (spindle). Great things are happening here, many of you will soon be biking west to enjoy our vast array of opportunity...Be sure to come and visit our three new restaurants, Olive or Twist (Depot District), Autre Monde (Roosevelt), or the Garlic Clove (DD)...Berwyn has so many things to offer on so many levels... Let me know, if you guys want head out this way and we can do a cruise on our own...If I show you around, you will want to move to Berwyn!....HOUBY parade is tomorrow on Cermak!

h' said:

We all followed the situation in Berwyn very closely, no edumacating necessary.

I personally communicated with the mayor about it (he returned my phone call-- nice, modest man) as well as the artist who created the spindle.

I know from personal conversations with John that he has a genuine fondness and appreciation for Berwyn and many other inner ring suburbs.

BJ, do you have contacts for these chainlinkers from Berwyn?

I've been watching closely as I have a friend who moved to Berwyn and it would be cool if there were some sort of bike scene there, but I've only seen evidence of maybe 4 members from Berwyn.

Also, while we're on the topic-- I was out there today and noticed those turbine things that are all over the parking lot where the spindle used to be-- maybe you know- do they generate electricity, or are they purely decorative?

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:

John Greenfield said:

Joseph,

Cheers,

John Greenfield

Why did the spindle come down?  I know they built a Walgreens on the site, but given the size of that parking lot it seems like they could of found another spot.
dont forget Sven Ghoulie. His studio is in Berwin I think.

Fall of the spindle:

Jared said:

Why did the spindle come down?  I know they built a Walgreens on the site, but given the size of that parking lot it seems like they could of found another spot.
The Trib ran Scott Rowan's blog piece on the front of today's Perspective section.  I think that deserves a bit of follow-up.  Perhaps some well-reasoned letters to the editor are in order.

Bernard,

Sorry, I should have said "successfully organizing." Of course, the highest-profile action taken to draw attention the plight of the Car Spike was 1,000-plus, mostly urban cyclists riding in Critical Mass out to Berwyn to protest, which made it on the front page of the Sun Times.

Can't find that article online, but here's the CCM press release that alerted the media to our efforts: http://chicagocriticalmass.org/savethespindle. By the way, that photo is from one of several Perimeter Ride I led to the Car Spike. Man, I really have led a lot of bike rides to Berwyn!

We're getting off-topic here so, Bernard, please contact me at john[at]gridchicago.com if you'd like to further debate my alleged Berwyn-phobia.

John Greenfield

When it comes to bicycling, I'd like to ask the Suburban Cyclist what he thinks is a legitimate use of a bike.   Except for right now, when I must sideline my own bike because of doctor's orders, I tend to use my own as transportation.  Once I'm well enough to ride, I intend to use my own bike for that purpose.  Unfortunately, up here in Milwaukee, our county keeps cutting back bus service,supposedly to save money.  I've had occasion to use my bike in conjunction with the bus to go past the bus's range.  I enjoy watching Superweek every year when I can, and I've seen a bike race at Kenosha's Washington Park Velodrome.  Sounds to me that many find racing OK, but they don't like the idea of a bike being used on the street for transportation insteaqd of a car.

I just watched it online.

WTTW_CriticalMass

Scott's a doofuss.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service