The Chainlink

Gin Kilgore takes on The Suburban Cyclist tonight at 7 on WTTW

Chicago Critical Mass and Bike Winter stalwart, and all-around righteous dame Gin Kilgore will mop the floor in a debate with The Suburban Cyclist this evening at 7 on WTTW's Chicago Tonight talk show on channel 11:

Check out this The Suburban Cyclist's recent, extremely long rant against Chicago Critical Mass: http://www.chicagonow.com/urban-cyclist/2011/09/critical-massholes-...
Boy, I wouldn't know where to start setting this guy straight.

Views: 2836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too would like to see a more "lawful" CM.  So what if we're broken into smaller groups by traffic lights.  More groups of cyclists to be seen then!

John S. said:

The main problem with Critical Mass is the blocking of other traffic.  I would like to see the ride obey the traffic laws.  There is no need to blow through red lights as a group.

If done right, Critical Mass could be one of the best ways to show what a city would look like with law abiding cyclists comprising the majority of the traffic.

His reply on that issue was downright strange.  I am guessing that he is personally in need of anger management since most people do not have thesse sort of "repressed" feelings and are "only being polite" while secretly seething.  

That said, many others aside from him have made the argument that cyclists either blocking traffic or impeding a driver (if only for a few seconds) is what "causes" road rage.  I've heard the argument before, and I find it quite annoying when people blame the trigger that cause instead identifying the underlying problem.

Peenworm Grubologist said:

Liz: dang near everything he said was false, and he had to pretend other people's evidence didn't exist. Oh sure, we may think we see people waving and making the high-fives from their car windows and being generally pleased to see us, but his soulovision can see into their secret hearts and know their hate.

Well from my admittedly limited research I'm going to say that the primary cause of road rage is "driving a car."

Speaking from my own driving days trying to slog through the city can get exhaustingly frustrating just because of how many cars are trying to squeeze through the streets.

I just find it interesting that even people who are otherwise polite and controlled "lose it" so quickly behind the wheel.

I face MANY exhaustively frustrating situations throughout the day at work, but I don't yell, scream, swear, and make loud noises there. 

I hate driving, and I have totally lost in while sitting behind the wheel in traffic.  There's not a good reason for this. So what is it about being in a car that changes how we deal with frustration in a healthy manner? 

I don't except to find a single answer, but I wonder how we can help change handling frustration while driving. 

Well from my admittedly limited research I'm going to say that the primary cause of road rage is "driving a car."

Speaking from my own driving days trying to slog through the city can get exhaustingly frustrating just because of how many cars are trying to squeeze through the streets.

Great job Ethan and Gin! Almost like the old rope a dope in that the more you guys let this tool talk, the more he showed he was out of his depth in that discussion. It seemed to me that when he had to back up his original blog, he couldn't do it. All that talk about monetizing CCM was ridiculous. Ethan and Gin came off as prepared and intelligent, whereas Scott seemed to backpedal a bit from his original statements and tried to divert all that CCM hate by talking about using it to help the city's financial troubles.
Bingo!

Vando said:
Almost like the old rope a dope

I think the piece on the tele-box was excellent and everyone but the SUBurban cyclist made good points and came off well.  However, that guy... oh sheesh...  Just curious but is this mo' even on this site?

I read some more of his blog stuff and the 'about him' section of his site and here is all I have to say about the guy:

1. The man is not well informed about cycling in Chicago and is obviously not a part of Chicago cycling or bike advocacy community.  Nothing he says or believes is anything that any single person I know who is active in the Chicago cycle scene I know would agree with; the guy is a crank.

2. When it comes to the things he says CCM is about it is very obvious he is projecting his own thoughts and agenda onto the behaviors he sees.  He wants the people on the ride to be angry because it solves his purpose.

3. I read his bio, something seemed off in it so I did some math and here is what I found:  He claims a round trip daily commute of 12 miles He claims that in the 7 years he has been cycling on his Trek he has logged 'over 15,000 miles.'  Now, I am going to guess that, like any good self promoter he is claiming the highest possible number he can; I mean if he really rode over 18k or over 20k in that time why would he not claim that?  So now here is where it got interesting to me...  If he rode 12 miles 5 days a week for 7 years that is 21,846 miles so he, ar 15,000 is 6,840 short of what would be a 5 day a week commute.  In fact he is about 19 miles per week short of that number and that does not take into account any side trips that he may take being as he uses his bike for transportation... does he go nowhere but work?  I have a feeling this guy is not quite the 'hardcore' urban cyclists that he claims to be.  If this guy is such a wealth of knowledge why have I not seen him at bike winter stuff like I have seen others around here telling folks how to dress warm and survive the winter?  My guess is because he simply does not ride that much compared to some of us...  About a month of my average riding multiplied out over 7 years is greater then 25,000 miles; where is my book deal?  I mean I am obviously a greater authority than he is based on mileage!

4. He lists his cycling 'kit' as a $10 t-shirt and shorts... OK, yeah, in Chicago?  I call bullshit to the tenth power on this one.  That line is either pure BS or he is not riding the winter here in Chicago.  Those who know me can attest that I am the absolute last person who is ever going to buy special clothing to ride a bike and even I have clothing I specifically purchased to bike the winter. 

5. I find it interesting that even though he does not 'do' centuries and weekend races his profile pic on his blog shows him wearing a number...

I am interested to see this mans book; I just ordered it used off Amazon; look for a review soon.  As for now I am off to try and find his bike in his blog so I can pick that apart as well...

Check out Traffic - http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307264785

It's a really interesting read for anybody on the road.  He explains that part of why we get more frustrated in a car is our inability to communicate with others on the road.  Check out pages 22-24 in the Amazon preview for a much better explanation than I could possibly give.

Liz said:

I just find it interesting that even people who are otherwise polite and controlled "lose it" so quickly behind the wheel.

I face MANY exhaustively frustrating situations throughout the day at work, but I don't yell, scream, swear, and make loud noises there. 

I hate driving, and I have totally lost in while sitting behind the wheel in traffic.  There's not a good reason for this. So what is it about being in a car that changes how we deal with frustration in a healthy manner? 

I don't except to find a single answer, but I wonder how we can help change handling frustration while driving. 

"Actually scratch Berwyn. Those Neanderthals took down the Car Spike.)"

Scratch Berwyn?....Bad move.

I'd buy your book, Doug!

notoriousDUG said:

[snip]  About a month of my average riding multiplied out over 7 years is greater then 25,000 miles; where is my book deal?  I mean I am obviously a greater authority than he is based on mileage!

[snip]

John Greenfield said:
Well, he's got a pretty suburban attitude. (Apologies to my friends in Berwyn, Oak Park and Evanston. Actually scratch Berwyn. Those Neanderthals took down the Car Spike.)

The "Neanderthals" did not take down the spindle (what is a car spike?). It was on private property and removed by a corporation. John, you should choose your words more carefully before you insult a large group of Chainlink people who happen to be from Berwyn.

Joseph,

I actually have great fondness for that suburb - heck, some of my best friends live in Berwyn. I've led the Prague Rock Ride to a Czech restaurant and Fitzgeralds, as well as the Mission of Berwyn ride to the Depot Diner (in Austin) and the Friendly Tap. With a couple of good roots-rock venues and plenty of post-war bungalows, Berwyn is the best suburb to settle down in if you live the Rockabilly lifestyle.

But I must say, I'm disappointed in you Berwynites for not organizing to save the Car Spike (a spike-shaped object with cars impaled on it), one of Chicagoland's most iconic piece of public art and the ultimate monument to the failure of car culture.

FYI, the Spire is a 76-foot-deep hole near Navy Pier.

Cheers,

John Greenfield

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service