Last night, March 4, EBC illuminated a number of ninjas in the greater Evanston community.  We had obtained Beam Bugs from Rapid Transit. Notorious Dug, while he was still there, offered to obtain the lights.  The shop followed up and we bought a bunch of them at cost. Thanks to Doug and his former employer. Everybody was very gracious. 

Last night a few EBC volunteers stalked the evening commute  at the Rogers Park, Main Street and Central Street Metra stops. It was cold; it was Pulaski Day; and it was supposed to begin snowing. Still, there were commuters out there and some of them were unlit.  We went up to unlit riders who were unlocking their bikes, engaged in conversation and offered a free light. It was great to see people riding way with a red light blinking behind them. They were happy and we had done something to keep them a little safer. We wanted to do this before daylight savings time starts and the evening commute is not done under the stars. That made this action a little early in the year. I suspect we would have given out more lights in warmer weather.  I was one of the few who rode to their location.  The best choice of clothing for riding is NOT the best choice for standing around waiting for commuters. I was fine while riding to Rogers Park from the loop but was freezing while waiting for bike to train commuters.

We still have some lights and are  mulling over when and how we will do this again.  We want it to be a surprise as we don't want people showing up simply because they knew there was a freebie. We want to help the truly needy or in the dark  riders. You will not hear from us again until...its already been done.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bravo!

When we switch to daylight savings time, it will be dark early in the morning. ;-)  Kudos to EBC, Rapid Transit, and Dug.

You're ninja light ninjas!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service