The Chainlink

I don't have much information other than what's in the story:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2012/12/04/bicyclist-struck-by-truck-...

Thursday, someone who knows the rider posted on a local FB page that he was still in ICU.

This happened 2 blocks from us and we go through that intersection virtually every day whether driving, walking, or biking. In fact, my daughter and I passed through there on our tandem shortly before this happened.  It is one of my least favorite intersections to ride or walk through. The City of Berwyn installed a red light camera there due to the high number of accidents, but it only monitors 26th street, not East Avenue.

Thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery

Vince

Views: 6311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Allison, could you send me an invite to the FB group?

Thanks

Allison Mackey said:

I'm in a Facebook group where Justin's wife gives us updates...she has said to invite anyone who wants to be informed, so I could invite you if you have Facebook. The latest update is that, though still unconscious and not able to respond to commands, he has opened his eyes a few times and will squeeze his wife's hand back when she squeezes his, which is very good news. His ICP has been stable since after they removed a small part of his skull to let pressure out. He's also still on a respirator.

We started a fund for him at the library for people to donate to, and are looking at online options. He was 2 months away from a full year here, when he would have been eligible for vacation pay, disability through IMRF, and other benefits...such a shame. 

h' said:

This has been on my mind. Is there any way we can stay appraised of Justin's progress, and any needs he might have?

Yes, of course. I just need you to accept my friendship, and then I can add you. Thanks

Vince Zaworski said:

Allison, could you send me an invite to the FB group?

Thanks

Allison Mackey said:

I'm in a Facebook group where Justin's wife gives us updates...she has said to invite anyone who wants to be informed, so I could invite you if you have Facebook. The latest update is that, though still unconscious and not able to respond to commands, he has opened his eyes a few times and will squeeze his wife's hand back when she squeezes his, which is very good news. His ICP has been stable since after they removed a small part of his skull to let pressure out. He's also still on a respirator.

We started a fund for him at the library for people to donate to, and are looking at online options. He was 2 months away from a full year here, when he would have been eligible for vacation pay, disability through IMRF, and other benefits...such a shame. 

h' said:

This has been on my mind. Is there any way we can stay appraised of Justin's progress, and any needs he might have?

*bump*

Bicycle Poet said:

I just contributed.

Allison Mackey said:

To anyone else who might want to contribute, and may find it more convenient than looking for a stamp, Justin's wife has set up a page on a fundraising site:

http://www.gofundme.com/1om2b4

She says "I know Justin would never ask for help in this way, but I am grateful for the support."

Near the top of my wish list for the Chainlink Tune Up is the ability to pin important forum threads so they always show up somewhere on the front page -not necessarily in the forum itself, but somewhere so we don't have to bump threads such as this one.

seconded!

Tony Adams said:

Near the top of my wish list for the Chainlink Tune Up is the ability to pin important forum threads so they always show up somewhere on the front page -not necessarily in the forum itself, but somewhere so we don't have to bump threads such as this one.

noted!   a lot of important info get buried...

Tony Adams said:

Are you sure there is still no way to sticky a topic so it  stays at the top in the main page view, and not just  the forum view? I'd think this would have been added at some point since I've seen the controls.

Julie Hochstadter said:

noted!   a lot of important info get buried...

Tony Adams said:

Would appreciate the continued passing along of updates here on behalf of those who are not able to join the Facebook group.

This was posted by Vince to the OPCC list tonight:

Here's a summary of the past couple of days:

Sunday:
When I got to the hospital this morning, one of the nurses had already turned on SportsCenter for Justin. He had his eyes open and was very alert, so it seems he can hear the TV.

The neuro team came in to check him and said he was opening his eyes spontaneously, which is good. He still can't really follow commands, but one of the docs said it looked like he may have been trying to mouth words.

Later today he will a treatment from respirator therapy to loosen the congestion in his chest. They also plan to raise his EVD (the drain in his head) today or tomorrow, which the goal of getting him off the drain eventually.

Monday:
Justin is doing fine this morning. He's been getting a treatment that vibrates his chest to loosen the congestion. They still haven't determined that he has pneumonia for sure, but he does have a lot of congestion. He tolerates the treatments well and seems comfortable.

Later:
Justin had physical therapy earlier to get his arms and legs moving. He also got a new splint for his left leg. He has been moving his right hand and arm around a lot on his own today too.

They went up a level on the drain in his head and so far he is tolerating it ok.

Tuesday:
Last night I met the nurse that has been taking care of Justin for the past few nights. I found out she was the one who turned on ESPN for him the other day. She said it was okay to keep the music on, so I left his iPod playing quietly overnight.

Today Justin is pretty sleepy, but he seems more comfortable and he's not coughing as much. He has been motioning to his trach tube sometimes which seems to indicate that he notices it and maybe it's uncomfortable. He's also been cracking his knuckles.

I saw his neurosurgeon again today and he said that Justin is doing well with the drain in his head raised. They just went up another level on the drain because he's doing so well. The goal is to see if he his brain can manage the pressure on it's own and eventually try to remove the drain.
 ===

Bump- finally got a chance to donate. Thanks everyone for posting updates on how he's doing.

Thank you for the updates.

It's amazing that Justin has been cracking his knuckles (if I'm understanding this correctly.)

I see that the donation site has hit the goal of $5,000, which is terrific. It's been really great to see all the support form Chainlinkers. If you're inclined to contribute additional funds ($5,000 is just a small portion of what the medical fees will ultimately be) I believe you can still chip in here:

http://www.gofundme.com/1om2b4

Thanks!

John Greenfield

Thanks, John

Updates from today:

11 a.m.: Justin is doing about the same today as yesterday. He is still receiving respiratory treatments for his lungs and he also had physical therapy this morning. He is still doing well with the drain raised. I was told that he is actually on the lowest level that the ventilator goes, so it seems that his lungs are pretty strong even though they are congested. Hopefully soon they can start trying to wean him off of the ventilator.

4:30 p.m.: Good news! Justin had all the staples taken out of his head today and the incision is healing well.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service