The Chainlink

Peace All,

Red Bike & Green + The Pioneers Bicycle Club present...

The Southside Ride for Chicago Critical Mass

This Critical Mass route proposal is a 14-mile tour of some of Chicago's African-American cultural & historical landmarks. Highlights along the route will include the site of the Chess Records studios, the Bronzeville Victory Monument, Ida B. Wells' home, the Harold Washington Cultural Center, the DuSable Museum, the Obamas' house and much more. The ride will end at the new 31st Street marina and beach.

Check out the map at:
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/
Scroll down on the home page and click on the flyer for the full size image.

A special thanks to the lovely Eboni Senai, a true gem in our city. Her work as the Founder of Red Bike & Green - Chicago is energizing bicycling culture in the African American community of Chicago. Also want to share a huge thanks with John Greenfield, Willow Naeco, and Steven Lane for their early, active, and consistent support of this effort.

We will meet up at 5:30pm on Friday, August 31st at the Picasso statue at Daley Plaza. Please join us for a beautiful ride through parts of the Southside of Chicago!

...how about a post-ride afterparty?
Peoples DJs Collective 3YR Anniversary BBQ
2236 S. Marshall Blvd., Chicago
(block west of California & Cermak)
http://www.facebook.com/events/273511979429664/

Rock on,

Oboi
The Pioneers Bicycle Club
@theycallmeOboi

Views: 4171

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is hilarious!!! i wager that it will be over a thousand people riding. what say you h'?

h' said:

Bad news-- right now it seems only 3 people are attending:

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chicago-critical-mass-the-souths...

Hopefully the south side proposal will pick up this steam once this thread has a few hundred replies.

Should I wear my White Sox hat to the Mass? :-)

I will be heading North on the LFP to the Fullerton or Diversey exit and then striking West on Wrightwood  to get back to LS (I'm right next to the Blue Line Station.)

Whatever bike I bring will have a decent light on a Dyno Hub.

If anyone wants to tag along just find me right after CCM ends.  I don't usually hang around as I turn into a pumpkin if I stay up too late.   I'll be either on my big chrome Ross MTB conversion or my Black Raleigh road bike .  I'm leaning towards the road bike as the tank gets to be a bit of a brute after about 25 miles.

Good news-- up to 5 confirmed now.  There's still 3 days until the ride.

Olatunji Oboi Reed said:

that is hilarious!!! i wager that it will be over a thousand people riding. what say you h'?

h' said:

Bad news-- right now it seems only 3 people are attending:

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chicago-critical-mass-the-souths...

Hopefully the south side proposal will pick up this steam once this thread has a few hundred replies.

I am pretty sure I will go (hence the "might attend"), and I will hunt you down :-).  I also turn into a pumpkin, and I don't have much farther north to go once I hit Fullerton or Diversey.

James BlackHeron said:

If anyone wants to tag along just find me right after CCM ends.  I don't usually hang around as I turn into a pumpkin if I stay up too late.   I'll be either on my big chrome Ross MTB conversion or my Black Raleigh road bike .  I'm leaning towards the road bike as the tank gets to be a bit of a brute after about 25 miles.

I feel sorry for the people on the South Side if Critical Mass is going through their neighborhood. I thank goodness they've only come through my area once.  At my side-street intersection, drivers were trapped for over 20 minutes - I think the cyclists made alot of enemies that day. Can someone explain to me the point of what seems to be an arrogant, childish whim masquerading as a protest?

Because it's fun?

Barry Aldridge said:

I feel sorry for the people on the South Side if Critical Mass is going through their neighborhood. I thank goodness they've only come through my area once.  At my side-street intersection, drivers were trapped for over 20 minutes - I think the cyclists made alot of enemies that day. Can someone explain to me the point of what seems to be an arrogant, childish whim masquerading as a protest?

Its on!

Barry Aldridge said:

You make a classic beginners mistake here by assuming that CM has a point.

Barry Aldridge said:

The point is to upset you.

You really are that important.

Barry Aldridge said:

Yep. We had a very pleasant test ride just the three of us yesterday, so with 1,000 or so companions you'll be very safe indeed.

Adam Herstein said:

Are these neighborhoods safe to bike though?

Hmmm, Friday's projected to be a beautiful partly sunny 94 degree August day.  I'm betting 2,000+ riders.

John Greenfield said:

...so with 1,000 or so companions....

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service