The Chainlink

Chainlink Admin: Please disble further comments from my last post about San Hamel

I did not mean to create a forum where people go back and forth attacking each other.

When I posted it I was angry finding out the details of the case surrounding my friends death. I was trying to create unity around the fact that this is a horrific thing and am also trying to grieve. It is true that I do not know San Hamel or what kind of person he is but what he did has devastated me and anyone who ever had the privilege of coming across Bobby Cann.   

What I did not what is this back and forth mud slinging that I have been watching occur all day. I am quite sickened and upset by it and do not find it helpful for anyone.

I do not know how to disable further comments or remove the post all together. So please would the organizers of Chainlink do this for me. 

Thanks

Views: 2995

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Please tell me his driver's license was revoked.

blair_ said:

I really hope so but can't find any other info.

According to this thing:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd... one's license is suspended effective on the 31st or 46th day AFTER a DUI offense! I hope I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

blair_ said:

I really hope so but can't find any other info.

Not to add fuel to this fire, but does it really matter if his license is suspended/revoked/taken away/etc.????

How many times have you heard of someone being arrested again, after MULTIPLE DUI arrests? Or finding out someone has been arrested 29 times for DUI ? I see it alot. There are blotters all over the country where that is happening. Unfortunately, we are bound by the laws and rules, and only the ones that don't follow the rules/laws (criminals) will do whatever they want to.

Now, stating that, we do even have some of those in our bicycling community. You may be friends with them or not. But that is the truth.

This turd will be out on the street driving his vehicle (or another) probably the very day he was released. With or without a license (just like people drive without insurance). He (and his friends & family) will reason that he needs to get to work, pick up groceries, pick up the kids, etc. He will promise God and everyone that he will be a safe and careful driver (and he will be....until the next party/ get-together/ weekend/ weekday/etc., where he feels like he neds a drink.)

I am truly sorry for a completely unecessary death. I don't know if he was a good or bad person. I didn't know him personally (at least I don't remember meeting him). May his soul Rest In Peace.

Where I get angry is at all the people that decided that they should stop riding their bikes because of this incident. Whether it is on your block/sidewalk or on the street. Casual or Commuter of Competitive. If that is the mentality that you have, then don't step out of your house....you might get the newest strain of Avian Flu, or a Nile-Virus infected mosquito will choose you as it's next meal, or that same drunk driver (with a revoked or suspended license) will run you over when he doesn't see the red light while you are in the crosswalk (because he was ...guess what?!?!?!....drunk.... AGAIN !), or.....

Sorry. Got a bit angry there. But you get the drift....

Stop being afraid of the things that you have absolutely no power to change.

And if you do think that we can change things, figure out a way, and attack !!!! We will back you up.

Thank you for letting me vent a bit.

Have a Great Day !

Respectfully,

Manny

Manny - I haven't missed a day on my bike ever since this horrible accident, but I don't see anything productive about judging those that have.

Let's all stick together in this community - not tear each other down.  There are so many different types of cyclists in this city.  At the end of the day, the one thing we have in common is wanting to feel safe when we ride.

I don't see Manny judging anyone. He said was angry that people made the decision to stop riding. I agree with Manny that living itself is dangerous and that it is a mistake to live in fear. I didn't know Bobby Cann, but from what I've read about him since he was killed he seemed like a wonderful human being. I have the impression that he would not want us to stop riding.

What Manny said didn't strike me as tearing people down so much as to help us remain standing. 

blair_ said:

Manny - I haven't missed a day on my bike ever since this horrible accident, but I don't see anything productive about judging those that have.

Let's all stick together in this community - not tear each other down.  There are so many different types of cyclists in this city.  At the end of the day, the one thing we have in common is wanting to feel safe when we ride.

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

I have the impression that he would not want us to stop riding.

This is absolutely true.

Agreed, please stop comparing an act of terrorism to a drunk driving incident. They are not the same.

Why, because the terrorists weren't drunk ? LMAO !!!

Just kidding, Adam. I needed to change the mood. It was getting a bit too serious.

However, I do agree.

How many other drunk drivers have killed cyclists? (or anyone for that matter?)

We can unify ourselves for the sake of unifying.

We could use any of the bicycling community's deaths to help motivate us to stick together.

However, I choose to be motivated because I can make it a better future for myself and my children.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Agreed, please stop comparing an act of terrorism to a drunk driving incident. They are not the same.

Via Streetsblog Chicago I stumbled upon this Suntimes article about the Groupon currently being done around Bobby Cann's death.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/20566657-418/groupon-honors-staf...

It quotes a memorial piece written by Bobby's girlfriend, Catherine Bullard:

"Bobby talked about the Ride of Silence and Critical Mass bicycle rides like some people talk about church: a way to commune with others, to feel joy and belonging as a participant in Chicago’s culture."

I do not remember anyone articulating why I ride that clearly before...

"Bobby talked about the Ride of Silence and Critical Mass bicycle rides like some people talk about church: a way to commune with others, to feel joy and belonging as a participant in Chicago’s culture."

That's how I've often felt at large bike events.

They are not the same and yet they have similarities. In both cases, someone has a set of beliefs which they think are more important than human life. When they act on those beliefs sometimes people die. 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service