The Chainlink

We have groups for RAGBRAI, beer exploration by bike, randonneuring, camping by bike and who knows what all else.  But what about just trying to hook up with someone or some ones who ride at a similar pace and might want to do all or part of a century or one of the many multi-day rides popping up on the calendar?

I am a slow-poke, but I want to do some longer distance riding this year.  Le Tour de Shore looks good; Amishland looks good.  I know there is the Apple Cider Century and I imagine there are many other multi-day rides out there that don't show up in our events but would be great fun!

Last summer a thread about the North Shore Century ended up being used to make connections between riders to ride together.  I am hoping this thread will start some connections for different rides.

Views: 1727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James, I am definitely signing up.  Shall I PM Amanda?

In any event, sounds like there should be enough of us on the ride to at least hang out at the end of the day.  Although I must tell you that my idea of camping is that Red Roof Inn that they list as a possible motel!

James BlackHeron said:

The TdS is short enough that it can be done at a slow pace and not be late for dinner each day if one doesn't dally at the SAG spots too long.  It'll take all day, but it can be done at 10MPH with a few brief stops. Each stop is SUPER well stocked.  It was like the first SAG at the Northshore each time, with dinner at the campground and at the end being a massive feed -well worth the entry price, IMHO.  Even if one missed the dinner (which was pretty late) one could live on the SAG stops.   The second day is pretty short so there isn't much danger of being late or getting too tired.   I think you could do the TdS no problem at your pace.  The only hard part is getting up the next morning with no coffee and riding that first few stiff caffeine-free miles from the tent to the first stop. 

Even a "real" mile Century at a moving pace of 10MPH is still doable, but break stops better be brief.  That's 10 hours in the saddle between them.  If all breaks can be limited to another hour total that's 11 hours start to finish -totally doable IMHO. 

TdS was super fun last year.  I'm going to register for this year again as it was SUCH a blast.  

Maybe if you go Lisa, I can talk Amanda into going with you.   I seriously can not ride 65-70 miles at that pace as it will make my head go all splody but it would be fun to have her ride with someone else her speed so we could hang out at the campground. 

I think I can make Mettawa.  I should be ready for 50 miles by then. ;-)

David Barish said:

I will be leading a few rides in the 40-50 mile range this year at the low end of  moderate. These rides will be about 13 mph. These rides are listed at www.evanstonbikeclub.org  The rides all leave from Panera Bread in Wilmette at 8am.  If you can come you will NOT be dropped.

4-27  Ryerson Woods

5-18  Mettawa

7-20  Riverside

I'll tell Amanda and also put it on the family google calender.  Maybe she'll heed it, but an email from you would probably get her attention better. 

Please tell me that I wasn't the only one that had to look up what Mettawa was and where it is located.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

David Barish said:

I will be leading a few rides in the 40-50 mile range this year at the low end of  moderate. These rides will be about 13 mph. These rides are listed at www.evanstonbikeclub.org  The rides all leave from Panera Bread in Wilmette at 8am.  If you can come you will NOT be dropped.

4-27  Ryerson Woods

5-18  Mettawa

7-20  Riverside

I knew it was a town, and I had a general idea where it is, but I had to look up the precise location.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Please tell me that I wasn't the only one that had to look up what Mettawa was and where it is located.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

David Barish said:

4-27  Ryerson Woods

5-18  Mettawa

7-20  Riverside

Considering how tiny it is, I'm guessing that most people don't know where it is.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Mettawa is a tiny, and tony, town near Lake Forest. I don't think there is anything there besides stables,wealth and nice biking roads.  Bill Kurtis lives there ( or  at least once did). I never heard of it until I rode there. On the way to Mettawa we usually stop at the Lake Forest McDonalds on Rte. 43 just north of Everett which is the only McDonalds I know of that has somebody at an omelet station pan fry your made to order creation.  I was first turned on to  this route when it was a staple training ride for the Aids Rides.

I did TdS last year really slowly (the usual way I bike). I was about the last person to pull in before the trucks pulled away on Saturday. However, there were others that might have been behind me at one point but opted for SAG.

If I try again this year and I'm dragging again on the second day, I'd take 12 from Michiana Shores to the end and cut about 10 or more miles off the second-day route.

I do agree that the dinner was amazing.

I've also done the 50-mile ride on the Udder Century the last two years. That has a few different options, and you can decide when riding which to do since they all have the same starting route and the extension options are based off the main route. They have really well stocked rest stops as well as SAG support and all.

I would like to do some overnight rides where there'd be a slower pack of folks.

Let us know if you plan to ride!  I am going to.

Sue Clark said:

I did TdS last year really slowly (the usual way I bike). I was about the last person to pull in before the trucks pulled away on Saturday. However, there were others that might have been behind me at one point but opted for SAG.

If I try again this year and I'm dragging again on the second day, I'd take 12 from Michiana Shores to the end and cut about 10 or more miles off the second-day route.

I do agree that the dinner was amazing.

I've also done the 50-mile ride on the Udder Century the last two years. That has a few different options, and you can decide when riding which to do since they all have the same starting route and the extension options are based off the main route. They have really well stocked rest stops as well as SAG support and all.

I would like to do some overnight rides where there'd be a slower pack of folks.

There is a Century up in Door County in Wisconsin, the Ride for Nature, that I'm thinking about doing as my first.  It's obviously flat, so that's good.  And I've read that if you are a regular rider, you should be able to handle 3x that mileage at a sensible pace.  My 'regular' ride during the three seasons is the North Branch loop which takes me 2 hours for 32 miles.   And I'll be practicing longer rides before then, too.

Also despite living in Chicago for over thirty years, I've never been to Door County.  The UP, yah, but never Door County.

There are shorter rides as well: Metric Century, 50, 25, etc.  Might possibly do one of those instead, with the wife.

http://ridefornature.com/register1/#.UVTXlxl3bpR

Good tips, consistent with my experience.  I'd add that, if 50 or 60 miles is longer than you've ever done before, that you should do enough rides in the 50-75 mile range to feel reasonably comfortable with that distance.  If 1 or 2 is all you need, that's great.  If you need a few more, listen to your body and do a few more.  It will make a century that much more feasible for you.

kiltedcelt said:

I think the main thing to riding a century isn't so much the mileage but riding at least 50 or 60 miles a few times so that you can get an idea of whether your bike is adjusted correctly. There are things about your riding position that may not show up only riding two or three hours at a time. You need to get into the saddle and stay there for 4 hours or more so that you can find out what needs adjusting. Centuries aren't that big of a deal really. Terrain has a strong bearing on your end result, but around here most are going to be pretty flat which means they are very doable with a minimum of stress. You can read tons of stuff to tell you how to prepare and such beforehand (I did), but when it comes down to it, it has more to do with riding at a comfortable pace that leaves you with gas in the tank to complete the ride and just taking it easy.

That looks like a good one, too, but I am committed to leTour de Shore that weekend. :-(

Albany Park Al said:

There is a Century up in Door County in Wisconsin, the Ride for Nature, that I'm thinking about doing as my first.  It's obviously flat, so that's good.  And I've read that if you are a regular rider, you should be able to handle 3x that mileage at a sensible pace.  My 'regular' ride during the three seasons is the North Branch loop which takes me 2 hours for 32 miles.   And I'll be practicing longer rides before then, too.

Also despite living in Chicago for over thirty years, I've never been to Door County.  The UP, yah, but never Door County.

There are shorter rides as well: Metric Century, 50, 25, etc.  Might possibly do one of those instead, with the wife.

http://ridefornature.com/register1/#.UVTXlxl3bpR

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service