The Chainlink

Bobby Cann Updates: Ryne San Hamel Pleads Guilty, Receives 10 Days in Jail

Jason Jenkins at ActiveTrans is helping to coordinate community response.  If there is any chance you can attend proceedings, please reach out to him: 

jason@activetrans.org.

Views: 43830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The prosecution didn't ask for the 402 conference, the defense (San Hamel, Sam Adam) asked for it.

IANAL, but my thinking is that the judge wanted to get this case off his docket. If he decided on a harsher sentence (say, 1 or more years), the likelihood of the defense accepting the deal would go way down, and he'd be stuck with even further delays caused by an actual trial. San Hamel has a felony on his record now. I imagine that will be hard to expunge. What are the terms of his probation? Will he be subjected to random drug or alcohol tests? Will he lose his license for all or much of that time? What further consequences might he face if he violates the terms of his probation?

Skip is right on this.

Everybody's got a boss, telling them what to do.

Timothy Evans, Chief Justice of the courts probably got on Judge Hooks for taking so long, taking so much time, and there were other cases standing in line that needed to be adjudicated.

Kim Foxx, the States Attorney for Cook County probably got on whoever was the Assistant States Attorney prosecuting the case.  She asked what was taking so long, taking so much time, when there were other cases that needed prosecution.

Sam Adam was getting paid by the hour (I wonder how much he made on this) and he could take as long as he wanted - no rush.

I'm just agreeing with Skip, I don't have a solution.

The only things that even slightly look like justice in this case are the expense of a high-priced defense lawyer ($$$$), months of sweating out possible outcomes for Mr. Hamel, and a felony record (no big deal so long as he has current employment, it would seem.)

Mr. Hamel has to face The Man in the Mirror every morning. One could hope that he has a hard time doing that for the rest of his life. 

But somehow, i have to wonder if it will bother him in the least. We can't know. We can only hope that he doesn't do it again and remember that the world is full of Sam Hamels, and a cyclist's and pedestrian's life is worth very little.

Assuming the family is pursuing a civil case I am less troubled by the result. There is a felony on the driver's record. Nothing can bring Bobby back. I have a hard time urging a longer sentance and greater deprivation of liberty in most cases. I find this especially true with our current President. The driver should pay in a way that actually compensates Bobby's family in some way. They would be no better if the driver rots in jail for a longer time. Does 10 days seem too low? Yeah, but the pound of flesh means much less to me than the pound of cash.

David, remember that this was an injury to society, not just an injury to Bobby Cann's family. 

Compensation to the family will come after the civil trial.  The criminal trial, which just concluded, is to address the needs of all of the rest of us.  We were very much injured by this terrible crime.

A Mundelein woman was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison Tuesday for the death of a 22-year-old man in an early morning drunken driving crash in Libertyville.

Amanda Auld, 24, was sentenced after pleading guilty last year to one count of aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in a death.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/crime/ct...

The person killed wasn't on a bike, so a more severe sentence is justified.

Justice is a crap shoot. And, to quote what a local cop once told me, "They do things a little differently in Lake county."

Also, she'll likely have an appeal, and failing that there'll be time off for good behaviour and the probability of parole.

Very little chance that she will appeal, as she pleaded guilty.

Not that I disagree, but there's statements in the article that suggest Auld had already received suspended sentences for other drug/alcohol offenses (so potential past DUIs), and she likely got the book thrown at her here.  She had also already spent 365 days in jail, which means she obviously didn't have a lot of money behind her defense since she couldn't make bail.  

Leaving aside that Lake County has much more conservative judges when it comes to sentencing overall, if anything this highlights how money impacts the judicial system.  If you can afford the big name attorney, you more often than not end up getting off much, much easier.  

The Sun Times editorial expresses the concerns so many of us have - 10-day sentence is so low, it does nothing to discourage drunk driving and sends a message that our (cyclists) lives are not as valuable. No tolerance drunk driving laws, enforcement and sentencing is the only effective approach to stop this from happening. There are so many options to avoid driving after having a few drinks. But when drunk drivers are consistently given a slap on the wrist, there's a societal acceptance of intoxicated driving. Ryne was pulled over twice before he killed Bobby Cann and both times he managed to get off with no consequences. If he lost his license for his second offense and had to attend extensive counseling would this have happened?

A 10-day sentence when a man has been killed does nothing to discourage drunken driving. It says bicyclists are second-class citizens.

At the unveiling in October 2013 of the street sign bearing Cann’s name, his mother, Maria, remarked on IDOT’s plan to add the bike lanes. “Bobby told me that biking was very safe,” she told a TV news crew. “But no infrastructure change can make it safe to share the road with intoxicated drivers.” We couldn’t agree more.

The judge in this case blew a chance to make our streets safer for everyone.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-a-blown-chance-to-mak...

10-day sentence is so low, it does nothing to discourage drunk driving and sends a message that our (cyclists) lives are not as valuable.

You can easily argue (and many do) that the death penalty isn't a deterrent to those who commit murder. If that's true, it's unlikely that the difference between a potential 10-day or 10-year prison sentence will deter drunk drivers, especially considering they are quite impaired when they decide to get behind the wheel.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service