The Chainlink

I've been looking around at waterproof panniers lately, and there are a lot of options and a pretty wide price range for seemingly similar stuff.  I really just need one to fit a laptop, some shoes and extra clothes in so I can ride to work on rainy days, but as the title says, it has to be absolutely 100% waterproof and not overly expensive.  I have a Banjo Brothers pannier right now but it's nowhere near as waterproof as I'd like it to be for carrying a company-provided laptop.  I've been looking at lots of different brands (Ortlieb, Blackburn, Timbuk2, Banjo Brothers, etc.)  but I'd like to get a better feeling of your actual subjective experiences with them.

So, what does everyone use and how do you like it?  Would you have spent more money for nicer gear or would a lower-priced pannier have worked just as well?

Views: 10881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used two aluminum bottles up top and a Takeya glass bottle with a silicone cover underneath.  I needed something short because of the fender gap and happened to find the bottle at Target.  It stayed put but the aluminum bottles rattled around a bit and have lines on them even though I wrapped the cages in duct tape.

I've only carried water with mine so far but the glass bottle should be able to handle hot liquids, too, and the wrapping should keep your hands from burning.

I have a single waterproof Banjo Brothers bag. It worked great on a very rainy day earlier in the year.  Unfortunately, when there was some flooding this Spring I got off a path and was riding between the road and some heavy brush and it ripped the bag. I have been using the ripped bag since.  Its still a great bag but no longer completely waterproof. I can't say whether the Ortlieb bags would have survived this thick heavy brush.

ortlieb front panniers fit a 6 pack of Sam Adams perfectly....but I think the Germans were thinking of that when they designed the bag since the fit is so precise.

Ortliebs.  Hands down.  They're expensive off the shelf but mine have traveled 6,000+ miles without compromising their waterproof finish.  That isn't to say that other bags aren't just as good for a better price (I'm sure there are), but my experience hasn't lead me to complain one bit about my Ortlieb Classics.  I'm planning another tour this summer and I'm sure they'll do exactly what their designed to do: keep out water.

I use Ortlieb back rollers. The best part is the "easy on off" once you calibrate them to your rack. My only gripe is that they've taken a few nicks from gravel or scrapes. This was solved by some silicon tent sealant, good as new.

I used Banjo Bros. but they fall apart with heavy use. I commute pretty much every day and the Bros. fell off a few times and the clips finally came off.  The company owners are nice but it's just not a strong enough bag. Like you I carry a laptop.

The Ortlieb backrollers are unbelievable. If they were capable of bearing children I would marry them. They never fall off, seem to carry as much weight as I put on them, and keep my laptop dry and secure. Can't recommend them enough.,

As you have to buy them as a pair, I bought a set off Amazon and sold the second one here on CL!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service