The Chainlink

The Tribune is reporting that the center running configuration of Ashland has been selected over Western.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-cta-ashland-bus-rapid-transi...

Views: 1442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am extremely happy Ashland was chosen and not Western. Can we get some bike-related improvements to the Western corridor now that the paralysis has ended??

Thunder Snow said:

True. Or just drive the old ones British-style, reversed from the car flow, like UP North Metra trains.

I think that's because the Chicago and North Western was one of the few (if not only) left-hand railroads in the US.  A real historical quirk that I suspect continues because Metra trains are the main users, the equipment dates back to the days of CNW's independence, and UP doesn't use the line enough for freight to justify switching all the signaling and other infrastructure to match the rest of the system.

Seems like people are discussing this as if it's a new train line.  It's still just a bus that will maybe be 50% faster than riding the bus is now, but leave you with less flexibility for where to get on and off.  So not sure how much real world advantage there will be for connecting the spokes of the current train system.  It'll be nice for some people who already use the Ashland bus, assuming their start and end locations are near the access points.

Having lived on Ashland or one street over for the last 5 years, I'm very excited for this. Hopefully, it will help diminish/calm traffic while still provide a way to move rapidly on it. I can't begin to count the number of accidents I've seen in the last 5 years on Ashland... some of them really bad (30-40mph+). Also, having rapid transit  at near doorstep will be kinda nice :)

As I understand it, BRT IS being positioned as a new mode somewhere between a bus and train: longer distances between stops, fewer stops, traffic priority (the red lights turn green when they approach), pre-ticketed boarding (no more standing behind the guy fishing for nickels in all his pockets).  Current buses have to stop for red lights, get bogged down in traffic jams and have to constantly re-merge into traffic from the curbside stops.  BRT is supposed to fix all this (though the proof is in the puddin').

h' 1.0 said:

Seems like people are discussing this as if it's a new train line.

Why BRT on Ashland?

There are many reasons why Ashland Avenue is a good corridor for implementing Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)—it has high transit demand, it connects many parts of the city, and its physical layout is compatible with BRT improvements.

Ashland Avenue has the highest bus ridership of all CTA routes, with 10 million boardings in 2012—more than 31,000 per weekday. Currently, 1 in 4 households located within walking distance of Ashland Avenue do not have a car. Ashland BRT would provide a transit option about as fast as driving for neighborhood residents, with an up to 83% increase in bus speeds during peak periods, and a 50% improvement in reliability.

Ashland BRT would connect with seven CTA ‘L’ stations, two Metra stations, and 37 bus routes, and provide a much-needed north-south transit connection outside of the downtown area. The Ashland corridor provides access to nearly 133,800 jobs, including large employment centers such as the Illinois Medical District, and serves popular destinations like UIC, Malcolm X College, and the United Center. There are also 99 schools within walking distance of the proposed Ashland BRT.

At 70-feet curb-to-curb, Ashland Avenue is wide enough to construct BRT. The proposal to construct BRT includes streetscape improvements that would increase safety and pedestrian comfort, including improved lighting, ADA ramps, platforms that provide pedestrian refuge when crossing the street, and fewer left-hand turns, which are a major cause of vehicle accidents.

Why Ashland?

h' 1.0 said:

Seems like people are discussing this as if it's a new train line.  It's still just a bus that will maybe be 50% faster than riding the bus is now, but leave you with less flexibility for where to get on and off.  So not sure how much real world advantage there will be for connecting the spokes of the current train system.  It'll be nice for some people who already use the Ashland bus, assuming their start and end locations are near the access points.

Yes, I've been following it and have attended info sessions. Did something I wrote indicate I didn't have a basic understanding of it?

Thunder Snow said:

As I understand it, BRT IS being positioned as a new mode somewhere between a bus and train: longer distances between stops, fewer stops, traffic priority (the red lights turn green when they approach), pre-ticketed boarding (no more standing behind the guy fishing for nickels in all his pockets).  Current buses have to stop for red lights, get bogged down in traffic jams and have to constantly re-merge into traffic from the curbside stops.  BRT is supposed to fix all this (though the proof is in the puddin').

h' 1.0 said:

Seems like people are discussing this as if it's a new train line.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good development, but I don't quite understand the desire to dress it up as anything other than a faster bus ride with a potentially longer walk to the access point.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

I don't see BRT really changing how people use trains, but I see it being very useful for trips that trains currently don't really support (i.e. traveling anywhere that isn't between where you are and downtown). For example the initial segment well make it much easier to travel between Pilsen and Bucktown/Wicker Park. Once extended to Irving Park, the Ashland BRT will connect Lakeview, Bucktown/Wicker Park, and Pilsen. Currently traveling between those neighborhoods requires either a slow bus ride, or an out of the way train trip downtown to transfer, which makes people more likely to take a cab or drive.

h' 1.0 said:

"It's still just a bus..."

h' 1.0 said:

Yes, I've been following it and have attended info sessions. Did something I wrote indicate I didn't have a basic understanding of it?

Thank you, but I understand these things and I can quote you exact projections from memory on how much it was supposed to speed up bus travel on Western Ave if you're interested.

There may be discussions in which it's possible to get a somewhat abstract point across, but it doesn't look like this is going to be one of them.

spencewine said:

Why BRT on Ashland?

There are many reasons why Ashland Avenue is a good corridor for implementing Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)—it has high transit demand, it connects many parts of the city, and its physical layout is compatible with BRT improvements.

Ashland Avenue has the highest bus ridership of all CTA routes, with 10 million boardings in 2012—more than 31,000 per weekday. Currently, 1 in 4 households located within walking distance of Ashland Avenue do not have a car. Ashland BRT would provide a transit option about as fast as driving for neighborhood residents, with an up to 83% increase in bus speeds during peak periods, and a 50% improvement in reliability.

Ashland BRT would connect with seven CTA ‘L’ stations, two Metra stations, and 37 bus routes, and provide a much-needed north-south transit connection outside of the downtown area. The Ashland corridor provides access to nearly 133,800 jobs, including large employment centers such as the Illinois Medical District, and serves popular destinations like UIC, Malcolm X College, and the United Center. There are also 99 schools within walking distance of the proposed Ashland BRT.

At 70-feet curb-to-curb, Ashland Avenue is wide enough to construct BRT. The proposal to construct BRT includes streetscape improvements that would increase safety and pedestrian comfort, including improved lighting, ADA ramps, platforms that provide pedestrian refuge when crossing the street, and fewer left-hand turns, which are a major cause of vehicle accidents.

Why Ashland?

h' 1.0 said:

I'm confused? 

They eliminated the Xpress bus on Western a year or 2 back now are proposing another type on a smaller street with nice mature street scaping in the middle, getting rid of that and re doing it?

A day pass is $10 a one way trip from O'Hare is $5 (unless you work there).

The new Ventra system is going to cost riders even more unless you link it to a credit/debit card.

When they pass this along how much will it cost to ride the CTA?

Spence, Cameron, Thunder-- how often do you guys ride buses?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service