The Chainlink

A West Side Railroad Could Become An Elevated Trail Like The 606

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/08/11/a-west-side-railroad-could-...

NORTH LAWNDALE — A railroad that runs through the West Side could be turned into a landscaped greenway similar to the Bloomingdale Trail that connects Logan Square and Humboldt Park with West Town and Wicker Park.

The city’s planning department is conducting a study to determine the feasibility of the elevated trail, tentatively called the Altenheim Line. It would be along a two-mile section of the railway one block north of Roosevelt Road between Kostner and California avenues.

The Altenheim railroad corridor is currently owned by CSX Transportation, and the trail would be built in unused sections where the tracks have been removed.

Residents living in the surrounding area can participate in the study to help city planners determine whether the Lawndale community wants the greenway and what amenities it should have, where the access points could be, and how the project could be designed.

Neighbors can offer input and share ideas at a planning meeting Thursday from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Douglass Park Fieldhouse, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr.

The Altenheim Line would be built along a railway that runs through North Lawndale.

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some Lawndale Residents Have Hoped For Their Own Elevated Trail For Years. Now, They Are Helping Create It

City planners will work with neighbors to brainstorm how to ensure the West Side trail has positive economic outcomes similar to that of The 606's Bloomingdale Trail while preventing displacement.

NORTH LAWNDALE — A trail similar to The 606’s Bloomingdale Trail could be coming to the West side — and residents eager for the project say it could bring a restaurant, public art and other amenities to the area.

City planners organized the first of several community meetings late last week about what is tentatively called the Altenheim Line, an elevated trail along a 2-mile section of the railway one block north of Roosevelt Road between Kostner and California avenues. Resident input on the trail’s name, features, design and economic impact is informing a feasibility study for the project.

The Altenheim railroad corridor is owned by CSX Transportation, and the trail would be built in unused sections where the train tracks have been removed.

At a meeting Thursday, several neighbors said they long have wanted something like this in Lawndale to boost the neighborhood’s commerce, make the area more walkable and create more beauty and park space for people to enjoy.

“I visualized this a long time ago … because I had been on The 606, and I walked those trails when I had my own dog. The potential of what could be up there, I had visions,” said Karen Castleberry, a resident and member of the North Lawndale Homeowners Association.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/08/16/some-lawndale-residents-hav...

It's a cool idea. I know someone involved in the effort. I hope they're able to get funding, and get agreement from CDOT and the park district to make it happen.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service