The Chainlink

I stumbled upon this initiative that would be great for families to get out and bike together. Here's the language from the Sunday Parkways site: http://www.biketraffic.org/content.php?id=1550_0_8_0

I can't determine whether this is in the works or has already started. Has anyone done Sunday Parkways? What did you think?

Here's the description:

Imagine neighbors and families pouring into the streets to greet each other as they bike, rollerblade, walk and push strollers, temporarily reclaiming public space for recreational and enriching activities.

This exciting plan — Sunday Parkways — proposes that for a few hours on Sunday, a linear network of boulevards is closed to motorized traffic.

Sunday Parkways runs along Chicago’s historic and beautiful boulevard system and will connect Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Garfield Park, North Lawndale and Little Village neighborhoods, displaying the vibrant culture of Chicago’s communities along the way.

Fitness, arts and cultural events in three city parks complement the street closures. The route brings residents through Douglass, Humboldt and Garfield parks.

How does it work? Participants, with the help of traffic control aides, obey traffic signals of cross streets. These cross streets remain open to car traffic, meaning that Sunday Parkways does not affect the surrounding street network or traffic flow.

Lead organizations from these communities have driven the momentum around Sunday Parkways and are working with the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation’s Healthy Streets Campaign and the City to make it a reality. We are looking to pilot the event in summer of 2008 and working to secure the necessary permits and funding.

Find out how you can get involved in Sunday Parkways by contacting Adolfo Hernandez at adolfo@biketraffic.org or (312) 427-3325, ext. 296 or Lucy Gomez-Feliciano at (773) 384-4370, ext. 43 or lucygomez@sbcglobal.net.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can someone @ Active Trans tell us if dates have been scheduled for this year?
I just hope these happen earlier in the year. The second one last October didn't appear to have as good a turnout as the first. I think the chillier weather may have been daunting to a lot of folks.
It was a great time - would love to see more than 2 this year.
Hey Chainlinkers,

Here's the latest update:

We're working to secure funding and dates for summer 2009. We're working with our partners to expand the route with a longer time frame for the events. We hope to have positive news by early May.

The best website is www.activetrans.org/sundayparkways and if anyone wants to get involved they may contact Adolfo Hernandez, director of advocacy, at adolfo@activetrans.org or 312.427.3325x296.

Thanks all, keep your fingers crossed!

Active Trans

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service