The Chainlink

Small milestone.  Hit 190 rides to work for 2010 today.  Was hoping for 200 by year end but I'll be just short of that; 200 is now my 2011 goal.

Oh yeah, 22 trips to work on the Red Line in 2010. Those remind me how much I'd rather be biking!

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, spare change.  What's the lowest limit you'd stop for?  I'd probably stop for a quarter, maybe a dime if I was already stopped at a light.  I don't think a nickel or penny would slow me down.

Chris C said:

Congrats on the milestone.

I keep a running total of the spare change I find during my commutes but it never occurred to me to count the number of days I commuted.  I now have a new metric to measure for 2011.  Cool. Thanks.

You do take anal-retentiveness to a whole new level. Tabulating your commute by mode of transport?

When did commuting to work stop being something you just do and become something you have to keep track of?

Personal motivation.  Works for some of us.

Duppie said:

You do take anal-retentiveness to a whole new level. Tabulating your commute by mode of transport?

When did commuting to work stop being something you just do and become something you have to keep track of?

I just use my garmin and garmin connect (kinda like an online journal). Since I bought my garmin in march I have 200 entries adding up to almost 6000 miles. I only commute when possible, maybe 20 times all year.

Lotsa miles; excellent!

Michael A said:

I just use my garmin and garmin connect (kinda like an online journal). Since I bought my garmin in march I have 200 entries adding up to almost 6000 miles. I only commute when possible, maybe 20 times all year.

I just need the self motivation.  A desk jockey surrounded by desk jockeys.  Guess who still fits in the same size clothes 15 years later?

Sometimes I ask myself that same question. (Today was #232).

Duppie said:

No anal retentativeness here, just riding year-round rain or shine for more than ten years.

Duppie said:

It isn't anal-retentive in my book.  It's not an annoyance to me, and I don't think it's something that is detrimental to "in it to win it."  Like they said, it motivates.  Therefore, it isn't anal-retentive.

I love counting the miles on my bike.  It feels rewarding each year knowing I did 1000 or 3000 miles.  I used to do it with my car, to see how many miles I put on it just driving to work.  I also kept a log to calculate my mpg for each tank.  It never hurt anyone.  My friend even laughed, and laughter is the best medicine.

I never thought of counting days.  That's simple and cool.

Duppie said:

Congrats!  Sounds like a great year for you.

I too like to set goals. This year was 132 commutes, 2450 miles(so far).

I agree.  I even have an iPhone app for keeping track of fuel usage, mileage, and how much I paid for it.  I used to do this on a little notebook but the app allows me to do other analyitics on it when I transfer it to my computer.  There is also a website called Fuelly.com where you can host and add that data and share it with the world.

For the car-haters in the world, at least knowing what kind of gas mileage you are getting and how much you are paying for fuel on a yearly basis helps keep fuel usage down as it influences your driving habits and lets you know when your car needs attention when mileage slips.

If you want anal retentive you should see the maintenance logs on each vehicle I own where every single bit of maintenance is logged with the date, what was done, and the receipt -going all the way back to when I bought it.  I can tell you exactly how much it cost to keep any of my vehicles on the road.  Knowledge is power.  Believe me, it's MUCH cheaper to keep a vehicle when you do all your own work too.

As for counting days -I did the same when I was riding my motorcycle to work (I liked to avoid using the car as the motorized bike is much more fuel-efficient than an automobile and working in construction riding a bicycle isn't always possible).  I'd count days in a row I made it without resorting to a car.  190 is a pretty good number.  I actually got close to that a few times.  Doing it on a bicycle would be cool -and if I ever get a job close enough to home where I can ride my bicycle I'd rather do that.  That would be awesome.

The the OP: 'grats on 190.  That's something to be proud of.  And so is mindfulness and self-awareness.  Don't let the haterz call you anal.  There is a huge difference between keeping a mindful eye on your life and being OCD.   When you start counting the cracks in the road on the way to work and factoring them at each block then I might think you have a problem.

Mark Kenseth said:

It isn't anal-retentive in my book.  It's not an annoyance to me, and I don't think it's something that is detrimental to "in it to win it."  Like they said, it motivates.  Therefore, it isn't anal-retentive.

I love counting the miles on my bike.  It feels rewarding each year knowing I did 1000 or 3000 miles.  I used to do it with my car, to see how many miles I put on it just driving to work.  I also kept a log to calculate my mpg for each tank.  It never hurt anyone.  My friend even laughed, and laughter is the best medicine.

I never thought of counting days.  That's simple and cool.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service