The Chainlink

If you haven't seen the article: http://bikeportland.org/2010/06/20/an-estimated-13000-take-part-in-... 

Portland stomped us in turnout for the Naked Ride.

I saw the posting earlier and have been racking my brain as to why Chicagoans, many on this very site, wouldn't attend an event like World Naked Bike Ride-Chicago.

This is an event that stands for several important causes from less cars and less oil to positive body image and safety for cyclists (shows how naked we are on that bike.).

It's also a ride that you can attend or help out with in various manners and different level of dress (or undress) something we call "Bare as you Dare".

Portland is about 1/5th the size of Chicago, not counting Chicagoland and they had about 6x the turnout as we did.

Gotta tell ya Chicago, that's PATHETIC!

So why didn't you come to Naked Ride? There are more of you that didn't than did so why didn't you feel this was important? Was it religion? Poor body image? Weather? Or is it just not important to you?

I'd really like to hear good reasons to not attend.

I have a strong feeling this will just end up falling off the board cause people hate facing there own weakness but maybe getting called out will get you off your duff for next year!

Views: 411

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'm gonna ride in Evanston Critical Mass naked this month!
and no one will notice

Aaron Bussey said:
I'm gonna ride in Evanston Critical Mass naked this month!
Marne Provost said:
Alright y'all, everyone needs to calm down!

MARNE: CALM DOWN!!!!

Seriously, it didn't seem to me that most participants here were taking the discussion all that seriously . . .?

P.s. NO b*tching allowed, bikes are suppose to be fun, right?

Probably a better option than dismissing any discussion that you don't find pleasing as "bitching" would be to just not read it . . .
Marne, Ryan, Like I said, if a person actually was doin something then good for them. The dude that was building bikes for third world countries was out doing something. That's awesome. But the jerks that are dismissing the ride as a bunch of crackpots need a firm punch of the bracket.

Also Ryan, just cause you're bike riding journey started unrelated to gas or oil doesn't mean it's not a form of protest.

And Joel, People ask us during the ride why we are out and they get answers. So they find out what the ride is about. I think there are people that have a perception of what the ride is about and just stick to that. Call me all the names in the world but that's ignorant right there.

Ryan, I hadn't considered prude tendencies. But I think that falls firmly back into religion. Very midwestern.

And Jesus was a Mexican Jew. I'm a Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian Jew. No Cross for me thanks. ;-)

P.s. - Marne I think Michael was makin a penis joke. At least that's how i perceived it. ;-) Well done Michael! ;-) And great pic Howie! ;-)
I will throw my own $0.02 in here. Like it had been discussed in other threads, it's hard for some people to head out and join a ride when they don't know anyone there. A lot of people aren't comfortable just showing up and trying to integrate themselves on the spot. Add being naked (or the perception that nudity is a must) and you have reasons why a lot of people probably wouldn't do WNBR-C. As for me, I don't look good shirtless and wouldn't want to subject anyone to that!

Gabe, you're a cool dude, hang in there...
Parody.

Marne Provost said:
Sarcasm.

H3N3 said:
Marne Provost said:
Alright y'all, everyone needs to calm down!

MARNE: CALM DOWN!!!!

Seriously, it didn't seem to me that most participants here were taking the discussion all that seriously . . .?

P.s. NO b*tching allowed, bikes are suppose to be fun, right?

Probably a better option than dismissing any discussion that you don't find pleasing as "bitching" would be to just not read it . . .
I want to start a naked car ride - or naked CTA ride - lets make the red line naked...its already got stripper poles on it :)
Put a DJ into that mix Aaron and that sounds like an amazing time on the CTA. Let's make it happen.

Aaron Bussey said:
I want to start a naked car ride - or naked CTA ride - lets make the red line naked...its already got stripper poles on it :)
Like that Seinfeld episode where he fell asleep on the subway and woke up to find that one dude naked sitting there reading the paper

Aaron Bussey said:
I just used up a quarter of my phone power reading this thread! WNBR is not for everone...next year: no-one bug the non-naked people about wearing clothes, teachers & other pros: if you want to come wear or paint on a mask. I feel quality/cool people over quantity. I feel on the ride we inspire people to be intrigued and maybe buck the system and b a part of something cooler than mainstream. those people on the sidelines feel left out...well they should! I feel great that a few people I invited came, and loved it! It should grow incrementally by word of mouth...I dread the thought of a Red Eye front page! It will turn into mostly clothed gawker-riders and I personally think that's not impactful...
I agree that weather is a huge factor in turnout for Chicago's WNBR,
which was still pretty gigantic this year.

We moved our Bike to Work rally to a later date than the rest of the country
because it was too often cold and rainy in early May.

Why don't we move our WNBR to late July, when we're more likely to
have hot weather and more riders?

John Greenfield
On page 3, you said "Biking is an obvious form of protest against oil."

Cycling can be used as a form of protest, but in my case (and probably in quite a few others' cases), it isn't. I rode to my old job for the purely selfish reason of keeping more money in my pocket. I ride to my new job because it wakes me up in the morning, and I enjoy it much more than the CTA.

And you completely missed the point of the lyrics I was quoting. Maybe the couple lines before will help clarify:

You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say.

Gabe said:
Also Ryan, just cause you're bike riding journey started unrelated to gas or oil doesn't mean it's not a form of protest.

And Jesus was a Mexican Jew. I'm a Russian, Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian Jew. No Cross for me thanks. ;-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service