The Chainlink

As if now, I'm going for it.

Views: 1451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice work! If you're going to layer socks you might consider layering thin socks rather than "warm" socks-- anything you do that makes your toes harder to wiggle is going to work against you.

Caitlin Drake McKay said:

I just rode into work (6 miles) and the ride was slow slow slow.  I'm heading northwest so the wind was against me the whole way.  My feet are sooo cold, but I only had on three pairs of warm socks and fleece shoes. :)  The pedals sucked the heat right out of my toes.  My torso and face were really warm thanks to my googles and Carhart facemask/hat combo. 

I rode in this morning at 7 am.  I took the Lake Front Trail north from Hyde Park, and found that it was not nearly as cold as I expected.  The part of my face that was exposed to the wind (area around the nose) seemed to get acclimated to the wind about 10 minutes into my ride.  The Bar Mitts I used worked like champs (Yay Bar Mitts!!!) and the Lake Boots I wore kept my feet pretty warm for the duration of my ride (about 40 minutes).

I didn't see any other bike commuters until I hit the Loop. 

I'm actually looking forward to the ride home, hoping that the wind will now be at my back!

Definitely gonna be riding tomorrow morning (this morning).

It's supposed to be zero or below zero.

Gonna be a great ride.

Later, Y'all !!!

Hope to see you out there !!!

Respectfully,

Manny

woo-hoo!   Keep those winter riding stories coming!

6 miles, Montrose/Sheridan to Wells/Van Buren.

Water bottle - frozen.

Eyelashes - frozen.

Exterior of facemask - frosty.

Good ride in?  You betcha!

Toasty all over.  I used the heated insoles AND stuck disposable warmers in the toes, so feet were comfortable.  Stuck disposable warmers in the double mittens and hands actually got hot about half-way through my 4 miles.  Goggles and Bern helmet with winter kit--head was a little too warm.  Scarf over my mouth kept my face warm, but it was frozen!  Two mid-weight layers, lined wool slacks and rain pants as windbreaker kept legs comfortable.

Not to say that I won't be happy when it goes back into the 20s.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get all of the layers off when I get to work! ;-)

No wind, no precipitation--it was not bad out there at all. But it's the first time I've ever seen my bike covered in frost at the end of the ride.

I have yet to find a way to keep my hands warm, biking or skiing! Guess it's time to give bar mitts a whirl.

Rode in today. My toes and fingers were a bit numb by the time I got to the office, but otherwise not too bad.

I also plan on riding tomorrow.

Today was for my five miles so much easier. The wind was not fighting us going North and West. Saw a bunch of bikers when I went through the UIC area on Roosevelt and a whole bunch of folks on Ogden going North up to Western. Funny - more today than yesterday (MLK?).

This discussion is about riding yesterday....

Great ride today, I started feeling cold on the tip of my right foot in the last 1/2 mile!  I just wiggled them the rest of the way and I was fine.  I was wearing Smartwool trekking socks with goretex leather shoes, and I think the shoes were frozen..when I got off my bike the soles didn't flex at all. I'm going to look for a thin baselayer sock on my way home, hopefully that will solve the issue.  Much colder than this my toes would be in trouble in the middle of my commute.  I also doubled up under my helmet, a smartwool headband + a balaclava.  That was key, and I didnt sweat at all.

Yeah, Lisa!

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Toasty all over.  I used the heated insoles AND stuck disposable warmers in the toes, so feet were comfortable.  Stuck disposable warmers in the double mittens and hands actually got hot about half-way through my 4 miles.  Goggles and Bern helmet with winter kit--head was a little too warm.  Scarf over my mouth kept my face warm, but it was frozen!  Two mid-weight layers, lined wool slacks and rain pants as windbreaker kept legs comfortable.

Not to say that I won't be happy when it goes back into the 20s.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get all of the layers off when I get to work! ;-)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service