The Chainlink

A friend sent me this image and asked me who it was.

I thought I'd see how long it took the Chainlink to come through with a positive ID.

Start the clock. . .

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't remotely look like the same person to me. I sent a message to ask.

Chicago Ride of Silence said:

I think this one is the positive ID. :-)

That only took how long?

Greg Valent said:

There are two unicyclists in the area, that I've seen. The only one I know by name is Steven Breese. He runs a trail development database and lives in the NW burbs. Here's a link with his pic:

http://www.greenways.us/About/Steve.php

It doesn't look like the same guy to me either.

Hey everybody, sorry I had no idea this discussion was going on.  It is me!  The first picture, that is, on the 36" wheel.  It sounds like most of these "sightings" are correct; I live in Pilsen and have been training for long distances on the LFT.  On Monday morning I am leaving on my unicycle for Iowa City, with the same backpack you see in the picture.  I will be couchsurfing on two nights and camping (bivy sack) on the other nights.  I'm planning for 50 miles a day, so probably 5 days of riding.  It's a solo trip for now, but hit me up if you want to join me!  I'm serious!

Oh, and I know I've said this before, but if you ride a unicycle please send me a message so we can go riding sometime.

Almost two weeks!

Come on folks, we have to do better than this.

Cool Paul - glad you are representing the unicyclists!  I have been curious about unicycling and I was hoping to learn more - where have you purchased your unicycle(s) and about what price range do they run?  Is your 36" wheel bigger then the other one(s) you have?  Is it harder to ride a bigger wheel?

Thanks for any info.

Paul Roots said:

Hey everybody, sorry I had no idea this discussion was going on.  It is me!  The first picture, that is, on the 36" wheel.  It sounds like most of these "sightings" are correct; I live in Pilsen and have been training for long distances on the LFT.  On Monday morning I am leaving on my unicycle for Iowa City, with the same backpack you see in the picture.  I will be couchsurfing on two nights and camping (bivy sack) on the other nights.  I'm planning for 50 miles a day, so probably 5 days of riding.  It's a solo trip for now, but hit me up if you want to join me!  I'm serious!

Oh, and I know I've said this before, but if you ride a unicycle please send me a message so we can go riding sometime.

Hey there!  A great place to order unicycles and unicycle parts is http://www.unicycle.com/.  You can expect to pay around $200 for a quality unicycle with a small/mid size wheel (20-26") and more like $500 for a quality unicycle with a 36" wheel.  But check craigslist, good unicycles pop up on there from time-to-time for cheap.

36" is the biggest commonly-built unicycle.  It is much harder to ride than small wheels, so don't try to learn on a 36" wheel.  Depending on how tall you are, 20" or 24" is the best learning size. 

I highly recommend that you get one, by the way.  If you think it looks fun, well, I can tell you that it's even funner than it looks.  It is a great feeling being on one wheel.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

chixieonfixie said:

Cool Paul - glad you are representing the unicyclists!  I have been curious about unicycling and I was hoping to learn more - where have you purchased your unicycle(s) and about what price range do they run?  Is your 36" wheel bigger then the other one(s) you have?  Is it harder to ride a bigger wheel?

Thanks for any info.

Paul Roots said:

Did you live in Beverly until a few years ago?  The picture that started this thread reminded of someone I used to see on Longwood Drive.

Paul Roots said:

I too am interested in unicycling.  I'm a fair dinkum bike mechanic with a cotter press in hand so I can fix one that is pretty far gone.  Never see them on Craigslist in any shape.

Maybe I just wasn't looking specifically enough...

But neither of them looks big enough for an adult.  I peruse CL just about every day for classic raleighs and never really noticed uni's for sale.

James Baum said:

I too am interested in unicycling.  I'm a fair dinkum bike mechanic with a cotter press in hand so I can fix one that is pretty far gone.  Never see them on Craigslist in any shape.

Maybe we can get a big turn out for the unicyclists group some time. 

I can bring a few for people to try:

- 27"

- Giraffe

- 24" for learners

Become a member http://www.thechainlink.org/group/unicyclists

Cool, thanks for the info, that was a very detailed answer.  I am going to check out the url and read up on things.  I guess the last question I have is ...how fast can you go during perfect conditions (ie no wind, smooth surface, etc)?

Paul Roots said:

Hey there!  A great place to order unicycles and unicycle parts is http://www.unicycle.com/.  You can expect to pay around $200 for a quality unicycle with a small/mid size wheel (20-26") and more like $500 for a quality unicycle with a 36" wheel.  But check craigslist, good unicycles pop up on there from time-to-time for cheap.

36" is the biggest commonly-built unicycle.  It is much harder to ride than small wheels, so don't try to learn on a 36" wheel.  Depending on how tall you are, 20" or 24" is the best learning size. 

I highly recommend that you get one, by the way.  If you think it looks fun, well, I can tell you that it's even funner than it looks.  It is a great feeling being on one wheel.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

chixieonfixie said:

Thanks for any info.

Paul Roots said:

I would absolutely love to attend a get together of the unicyclists and try some of your newbie unicycle sizes, Kohaku.  If you organize something on chainlink let me know and I will plan on attending.  I would kinda like to try one out before shelling out the ~$200 to buy one.  Plus seeing all you guys in action would be great!  

Is there a giant parking lot somewhere that we could meet?  I am thinking of down by Diversey Harbor or something like that but have no idea where most of you are located.

Kohaku said:

Maybe we can get a big turn out for the unicyclists group some time. 

I can bring a few for people to try:

- 27"

- Giraffe

- 24" for learners

Become a member http://www.thechainlink.org/group/unicyclists

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service