On my way from Andersonville to Evanston, I get to see one of my favorite local artist's mural.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150306423901696.3467...

It always makes me happy to see it in person. So, I wanted to ask everyone, what's their favorite thing to see when commuting?

Views: 1393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For some strange reason I really like this vast empty lot on Grand avenue between Humbolt and Kedzie.

It is best viewed in the afternoon.

This thread is great.  

At night I love looking into the fancy houses in Bucktown--it seems a lot of them leave the shades up and lights on.  Maybe to show off their fabulous decor...and it is quite fabulous.

I love passing a car that has run out of gas or broken down.In the summer time I always keep an eye out for kids with a lemonade stand and buy lemonade.

Yes, day or night there are great views from up there.

Lately I've been also been enjoying riding past an R75/5 on 18th St. 

The kids and dogs and general leisurely feel of Cotton Tail Park is nice also. And during my PM commute: the smell of The Chicago Curry House (I think it is called) on Plymouth - wow!

Oh wait, one favorite thing?

Anne Alt said:

+1  That's an amazing view in all directions.

h' said:

I can't help but stop and just gaze and wonder when crossing the 18th street bridge at night (as I did last night).

It is absolutely the best view of any urban panorama anywhere on the planet. Especially when you can look down and watch a father playing baseball with his kid under your nose.

Slightly off-topic as not commute related, but I looked up on a ride through Burbank this week and discovered a flock of wild parrots.

Was that near 85th & Cicero? They nest on a cell tower there.

Paul J Archibald said:

Slightly off-topic as not commute related, but I looked up on a ride through Burbank this week and discovered a flock of wild parrots.

Seems this might be a growing trend. I was about 4 blocks from there.

There are well known flocks in Hyde Park (Chicago) and in San Francisco.

An excellent documentary:

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (2005)

This poignant documentary chronicles the true story of a modern-day St. Francis of Assisi, a homeless San Francisco street musician by the name of Mark Bittner who adopts a flock of wild parrots as he searches for meaning in his life. With a surprise ending that left festival audiences cheering, director Judy Irving's film celebrates urban wildness

Paul J Archibald said:

I pass a little cemetery with a tiny church. It's always so quiet and I've never seen anyone in the church.

St. Mary's of Angels on Courtland and Wood St. It's a pretty church and often a location of my favorite book series, The Dresden Files. I like to think there actually is a Father Forthill in there.

that wasn't you there at around 10:30, on the south side of the bridge, was it? if so, you're beardlier than i pictured.

h' said:

I can't help but stop and just gaze and wonder when crossing the 18th street bridge at night (as I did last night).

It is absolutely the best view of any urban panorama anywhere on the planet. Especially when you can look down and watch a father playing baseball with his kid under your nose.

The SF parrots are a slightly different species.  The monk parakeets we see here started in Hyde Park and spread to many different neighborhoods, mostly south, southwest and west.  I've seen them at Wolf Lake (IN border), locations in West Pullman, Roseland, Blue Island, Evergreen Park, Auburn-Gresham, Scottsdale, Kenwood and Berwyn.  I sometimes see and hear them along the Major Taylor Trail.  They often forage for food in Beverly, but I haven't spotted a nest here.

The ones you saw in Burbank may be from the nest at 85th & Cicero.

Paul J Archibald said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service