The Chainlink

Anyone else notice some weird signs in the Dearborn PBL just south of Washington this morning? They say "Stop for Pedestrians" or something like that. They are sitting on the ground in the bike lane. I didn't stop to investigate closely, but I don't think there's even a curb cut there? It struck me as a bit strange. It was right by the Blue Line entrance/exit (on the west side of Dearborn obviously).

Anyone know if this is a CDOT initiative?

Views: 4422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't wait to view this (with curtains drawn) when I get home-- sounds juicy.

Will G - 10mi said:

Justin.....Justin, would you please stand up? That was fast.

http://justinhaugens.tumblr.com/post/50510526843/hey-chicagodot-wha...

Wow, thanks so much for clearing that up, obviously I believed it must contain extremely graphic content. 

Whatever you do, don't give any hint as to what the page contains.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Probably just a blanket ban on tumblr since you can post pretty much anything there.

h' 1.0 said:

Will G - 10mi said:

I think it was the business trying to protect customers (not a bad thing) and that your analysis is right on.  I am glad to have the lanes, but there are things that need to be fixed and this is one of them.  The area in front of the Goodman is another--especially on Wednesday when they have matinees which are often attended by citizens of a certain age.

Let's hope that some design corrections are in the works that will help keep everyone safe.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Thanks for reaching out to CDOT. Since this really is an issue with the road design, I hope they'll do more than just call and scold the business. The way the valet loading zones are positioned on Dearborn creates a conflict point between cyclists and car passengers. With the loading zone moved away from the curb, cars are being loaded and unloaded with traffic moving on both sides of them. People aren't used to stepping out of the curb side of a vehicle into a live traffic lane, and don't know where to go. If a space is designated for loading and unloading passengers from a vehicle, then there needs to be a space adjacent to the vehicle's space for the passengers once they become pedestrians. This is a problem with valet zones where a lot of cars are unloaded quickly, and will be a huge problem when protected lanes are installed on a street with a bus route.

I'm not saying what the valet did was right, but it seems more like a clumsy attempt to fix a problem with the road design than an attack on cyclists.

Will G - 10mi said:

I reached out to CDOT, they responded by telling me that they will look into it.

Thank you Adam for nipping this important issue in the bud and keepin' us safe. I owe you a muscle milk. 

I can't think any obvious solutions to this problem. Do you have any ideas?

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Thanks for reaching out to CDOT. Since this really is an issue with the road design, I hope they'll do more than just call and scold the business. The way the valet loading zones are positioned on Dearborn creates a conflict point between cyclists and car passengers. With the loading zone moved away from the curb, cars are being loaded and unloaded with traffic moving on both sides of them. People aren't used to stepping out of the curb side of a vehicle into a live traffic lane, and don't know where to go. If a space is designated for loading and unloading passengers from a vehicle, then there needs to be a space adjacent to the vehicle's space for the passengers once they become pedestrians. This is a problem with valet zones where a lot of cars are unloaded quickly, and will be a huge problem when protected lanes are installed on a street with a bus route.

I have to admit that my gut reaction was oh that's stupid that people need the fake signs to make it easier for them to jay walk.  I do concede that motorists need to be accommodated to load and unload.  It makes more sense for valet people to say to customers be careful crossing the bike lane.  If I was a customer, I would think it was very thoughtful.  

It just worked for me on my phone.

h' 1.0 said:

Will G - 10mi said:

Sure. Ban valet parking. It should be viewed as a relic of the failed car-centric transportation era.

Alex Z said:

I can't think any obvious solutions to this problem. Do you have any ideas?

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Put the signs ON the center stripe, instead of the middle of one side.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Yeah, I saw them on my ride home. They were blocking the northbound lane, so I stopped and moved them onto the sidewalk. I then got yelled at by the doorman or valet and was told to "talk to the guy inside". He then proceeded to put the signs back into the middle of the lane.

So they were placed by some business along the bike lane. No idea who, though. The guy didn't tell me and I didn't have time to go inside and complain to the owner.

Here's what I saw this evening - better. I also noticed that the valet who was working at the time was watching for approaching bikes and waiting before fully opening the car door to avoid dooring anyone. :)

Oh Ferchris-sake it was supposed to be a joke.

Julie Hochstadter said:

It just worked for me on my phone.

h' 1.0 said:

Will G - 10mi said:

Not sure why this has to be repeated over and over. Sticking these things in the middle of the lane is making a strong statement that the safety of the cyclists using the lane is not important-- even a "clumsy" thinker could see that they create a hazard.  Would be great if Streetsblog could interview the owner and get the full story.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

I'm not saying what the valet did was right, but it seems more like a clumsy attempt to fix a problem with the road design than an attack on cyclists.

Will G - 10mi said:

I reached out to CDOT, they responded by telling me that they will look into it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service