The Chainlink

Vote for Miguel delValle! Rahm is not interested in bettering Chicago.

Don't mean to get all political, but I just read Rahm's Wiki page, read some other info on him and the Chicago machine and pulled some gems for a These Blog Postings .  What does everyone else think about this kind of individual continuing to set the tone for our city?

I don't like it a bit.

Del Valle seems awesome!  anyone have any dirt I should know about him before joining his team for sure?  (hint... there was none.  I joined his team for sure!)

Love ya!

Going for a ride.....

Brrr......

Views: 526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Under the plan, Chicago would be a pioneer in the creation and expansion of protected bike lanes, which are separated from traveling cars and sit between the sidewalk and a row of parked cars that shield cyclists from street traffic.

Why does Rahm want cyclists to get doored?
:)

Dr. Doom said:

Goof ;-) we already get doored - i'd rather be doored onto the sidewalk then into traffic ;-)

Dr. Doom said:
Under the plan, Chicago would be a pioneer in the creation and expansion of protected bike lanes, which are separated from traveling cars and sit between the sidewalk and a row of parked cars that shield cyclists from street traffic.

Do you mean when Braun called Watkins a crack whore and sulked off?
Iggy linked to that in the Walk Bike Transit group.
Eric Vann said:

After listening to the remarks of Carol Mosely Braun and another candidate during the forum of last evening, I'm beginning to wonder whether your assessment of Mr. Emmanuel has much credence.

Regardless of who becomes mayor, I like Rahm's bicycle parking ideas . . .

Safe bike lanes will help Chicagoans travel through the neighborhoods, but businesses and offices need places to safely store bicycles. Rahm will push an ordinance to change building codes for all office buildings with more than 200 tenants, requiring that they offer protected bike storage facilities at the rate of one spot for every 20 employees in the building. Under the plan, buildings will be able to work together to expand bike parking in the most cost-effective way possible. For new developments, Rahm will work with city departments and local developers to draft a change in the building code that would require secure bike parking based on the square-footage of the development, and offer incentives for increased bike parking, including a reduction in required car parking slots in exchange for enhanced bike parking facilities. He will also task his budget office with devising a plan to offer tax incentives for any company that offers shower and locker facilities on-site for bicycle commuters.

Rahm will also work to replace the bike parking that was lost in neighborhoods when 40,000 parking meters were removed and replaced with the current pay boxes. The meters served the dual purpose of providing a secure base to lock a bike. There are currently 12,000 bike racks, providing 24,000 spaces. Rahm will work to double that number by adding racks and sheltered bike parking in the neighborhoods and downtown to increase convenience and security for bikers who do not have parking at their buildings. Bike parking will be expanded at transit facilities, and co-planned with new car-sharing sites and walkability improvements to make it as easy as possible to get around without a car.

Looks like he's at least trying to pay lip service to us now. I want to know what streets...

Gabe said:

http://www.chicagoforrahm.com/issues/transportation

Tweeted by Rahm 10 minutes ago ;-) HIs plan for makin chicago more bike friendly.

And Chico on our wonderful Sales Tax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsEjbPwpg4k

Peds already consider the bike lane to be an extension of the sidewalk even though it is on the other side of the cars usually.  I can only imagine how many more issues we'd have with peds, and people getting in/out of cars right next to the sidewalk and curb. 

As it is now one can always move around bike-lane blockages by taking the driving lane.  Trapped between the curb and the cars where are you going to go?

Progress will be much slower as we'll be forced to slow/wait every time someone is getting in or out of a car, or a ped is shambling around in the bike lane on their cell or walking their dog in it.  There will be lane blockages when people park too far over and delivery vehicles use it.  How will we get around these easily?  Hopping the curb onto the sidewalk is the only way if we are parked in by cars on the left.

Maybe this is idea is supported by Big Bicycle Rimtm. Is money to support this idea coming from Suntm, Weinmanntm, and Bontragertm?

Gabe said:

Goof ;-) we already get doored - i'd rather be doored onto the sidewalk then into traffic ;-)

Dr. Doom said:

I guess you two can always ride on the roads that don't have separate bike lanes? I'm sure they'll be few and far between (IF they ever get made at all).

BTW, these usually have curbs to insure that people won't park over too far, and delivery vehicles don't block it, so that can only improve. I'm not sure there will be more pedestrian issues frankly. Peds mostly fear bikes, the others will get buzzed and knocked out of the way until they learn not to be in the bike lane.

They have a spot in Madison on the UW campus where they have those "protected" bicycle lanes where it is a curb on both sides.  They had to put up a continuous ugly steel guardrail fence on the sidewalk side to keep peds out of it.  Even so they still duck under it and dart out into the bike lane -especially at class-passing time.  University Avenue/Johnson Street are a freaking zoo for 10 minutes every hour or so.  

I'll tell you that this isn't fun AT ALL as there is no where to go because you can't swerve.  You end up into the curb (and the head-on into the posts of the steel fence erection) or hitting the ped and/or the ground. 

As far as a bike/ped collision goes the bike and rider usually take the worst of the damage.  Bent forks/frame/wheel/rash.

This is just a stupid idea. 

Jason W said:

I guess you two can always ride on the roads that don't have separate bike lanes? I'm sure they'll be few and far between (IF they ever get made at all).

BTW, these usually have curbs to insure that people won't park over too far, and delivery vehicles don't block it, so that can only improve. I'm not sure there will be more pedestrian issues frankly. Peds mostly fear bikes, the others will get buzzed and knocked out of the way until they learn not to be in the bike lane.

And I'll add one more reason why this is a stupid idea:

Once the ped issue arises it isn't going to be an "until they learn not to be in the bike lane" issue.  After the infrastructure is built and they realize there is a problem I can tell you what the solution will be -SPEED LIMITS for bikes in these lanes.  Surely, it will follow to make them "safe" for all.  The good of the many...

Is that what we want?  I can bet they will be low too -10MPH or something idiotic like that.

Best this is nipped in the bud right now if we want to keep bicycling around town the handy/quick transportation option it is now. 

I think the idea generally is silly, but I have no problem with putting these downtown and on some arterials, as if you connected separated paths to the lakefront you'd likely get a lot more commuting.

No James.  The new bike lane design's big supporter is Big Concrete and Big Curb (Kerb).  And I have a feeling it will be in cahoots with Big Darkness to hurt cyclists at night.  Hopefully anyone who is the victim of this conspiracy is wearing a Big Helmet.

James Baum said:

Peds already consider the bike lane to be an extension of the sidewalk even though it is on the other side of the cars usually.  I can only imagine how many more issues we'd have with peds, and people getting in/out of cars right next to the sidewalk and curb. 

As it is now one can always move around bike-lane blockages by taking the driving lane.  Trapped between the curb and the cars where are you going to go?

Progress will be much slower as we'll be forced to slow/wait every time someone is getting in or out of a car, or a ped is shambling around in the bike lane on their cell or walking their dog in it.  There will be lane blockages when people park too far over and delivery vehicles use it.  How will we get around these easily?  Hopping the curb onto the sidewalk is the only way if we are parked in by cars on the left.

Maybe this is idea is supported by Big Bicycle Rimtm. Is money to support this idea coming from Suntm, Weinmanntm, and Bontragertm?

Gabe said:

Dr. Doom said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service