The Chainlink

It appears that some jackass recently vandalized the Tyler James Fabek (hope I am spelling his name right) ghost bike, which is on western under the 90 overpass, northbound side. Both wheels are tacoed but from the quick glance I got I think the frame is still OK.

Views: 1590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've seen that bike regularly forever, east of the skate park.  Though it's certainly suffered indignities, it's mainly just decaying; rims so rusted away that the tires droop.  Here's fresh pics:

Compared to my photo from 2008:

One of the few visible in StreetView.

Dust to dust.

In a sad coincidence I happened to have been by the "1000 Ghost Bikes Monument" today (~4400 N Ravenswood) and it's gone.  I hadn't heard.  I wouldn't be surprised if it had been in the way of viaduct work, and may ask Lillstreet some day.  Anyone here know anything?

Here's how it looked in 2009:

And here's what's there now:

Pretty seriously poignant:

Interesting. The Fabek ghost bike had been spun slightly around the pole and wheels looked more tacoed than a few weeks ago, so I assumed that it was vandalism. Perhaps (hopefully) it was just decay, and being moved caused the wheels to give way a bit.

No, someone intentionally effed it up.

Anyone available to take it down? I've got too much going on at the moment and it's on the edge of my range.

Thedutchtouch said:

Interesting. The Fabek ghost bike had been spun slightly around the pole and wheels looked more tacoed than a few weeks ago, so I assumed that it was vandalism. Perhaps (hopefully) it was just decay, and being moved caused the wheels to give way a bit.
I could likely take it down on Wednesday... Or if someone has a set of wheels, I could pick them up, paint them white and swap them out on site on Wednesday?

this is disappointing. I cleaned up and painted that bike last year.

RE :Wheels - Maybe check with Alex at West Town Bikes : He may have a set to donate.

I could help out with this Monday or Thursday if needed. send me a PM if you can use some help either of those two evenings.

I think that I have an old set of rims in the basement of my apartment building if someone would like to pick them up later this week (Uptown).  I’ll double check when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the updates and for keeping these bikes looking their best.

Ouch! Very sad. I was there for the dedication of that piece. I hope that someone at Lill Street knows something.

Andronymous said:

In a sad coincidence I happened to have been by the "1000 Ghost Bikes Monument" today (~4400 N Ravenswood) and it's gone.  I hadn't heard.  I wouldn't be surprised if it had been in the way of viaduct work, and may ask Lillstreet some day.  Anyone here know anything?

Here's how it looked in 2009:

And here's what's there now:

Pretty seriously poignant:

IIRC all the parts of that bike were welded together when it was "built."

My impression was the bike was looking sorry beyond just the wheels when I glimpsed it (frame abused as well.)

It really needs to be created anew, ideally with a new sign.  If you could take it down and hold onto the sign it would be appreciated.

Thedutchtouch said:

I could likely take it down on Wednesday... Or if someone has a set of wheels, I could pick them up, paint them white and swap them out on site on Wednesday?

Grateful for my rose-tinted sight, this seems like a non-issue y'all are planning to throw hard work at.  It's as beautiful and intact as a fragile metal sculpture that's spent six years in fumes and traffic can reasonably be expected to be. Not a safety hazard, sign legible, still standing, with a noble world-weariness that suits it's message.

And if replacing then why not one that's actually gone, like Blanca's? Or Isaiah's? Or the Monument?

Personally I'd give it a touch of paint and glue and 409 (or new rims at most) and save the big labor for new ones.  But do as you will.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service