The Chainlink

Views: 6273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I think that the biggest benefit to going tubeless is the ability to safely ride at lower tire pressure.  That would be a big upside for cyclocross, or mountain biking, especially in mud.  For touring who cares about a few grams.  

Good tires running at the proper pressure, like everyone else has said, is hugely important.  Check out Schwalbe Marathons for touring.  As far as I'm concerned they are the gold standard.

The only time I would consider running a tubeless setup in a touring bike was if I was going through goathead thorn territory or riding more than 75% off road.

This is awesome! I never knew tubeless was this far advanced in cycling.

At one point I thought tubeless meant tubular. The horror stories I've heard of people going tubular (it is almost a nightmare and a half to change).

So, maybe I wouldn't consider tubeless after all since I'm not using that bike for racing/mountain biking and neither am I a light weight, literally :=)

You're being a bit pedantic but you are correct. To be a bit more clear, eliminating the type of "pinch flat" that would occur from low pressure tire impacts is one of the stated advantages of tubeless tires. It was not designed to eliminate issues related to difficulty in tube/tire mounting.

Still, in this occurrence the tire is spontaneously forced against the rim which seems like if that occurs (at all) the condition is extreme and other issues can occur like wheel or tire failure. If your performance goal is speed over a course (racing or some close representation thereof) then there is a clear advantage with the added traction of low pressure and risks are possible rewarded.

That's not entirely true.  If a little bit of the tube is stuck between the bead of the tire and the rim, it can pinch upon inflation and BOOM.  Pinch flat before you've even ridden the bike.  Granted, it doesn't have the typical snakebite holes, and it wasn't the tube being pinched between the road and the rim, but it's a pinch flat regardless.  It's easy to do if you're not paying attention, or if the bead/rim interface is slightly loose, like with an old tire on an old, low-budget steel rim.  I always check the bead all the way around many times as I slowly inflate the tire after mounting.

peter moormann said:

A pinch flat is not caused from mounting a tire.

Pinch flats don't explode mang. It's not just semantics in this case.

You're describing an error in mounting a tire which cause the pressure to explode the tube when the tire is not seated correctly. 

I'd just go with whichever one is easier to repair when you're in the middle of nowhere and its raining.

yes, isn't it necessary to use a compressor to inflate a tubeless tire?

Standard track pump can inflate tires with Stan's sealant it without problem. Few times I was able to inflate it with a mini-pump, but it's pain (you have to pump very quickly :c).

Sounds good to me :)

Tricolor said:

I'd just go with whichever one is easier to repair when you're in the middle of nowhere and its raining.

I've been using Stan's Sealant with tubeless ready rims on my MTB for over 5 years and it works great. I have less punctures, when I get one I don't need to stop. However, it requires some maintenance and replacement of the sealant every 3-6 months (it dries and leaks with every puncture).

I am now planning a 3 month on and off road touring and I am deciding between Stan's or normal tubes. My arguments would be:

Pros:

- Fewer punctures

- Less time spent to change tubes (fewer interruptions to the trip)

- I can use 29" in countries without availability of 29" tubes

Cons:

- I'd have to carry sealant with me (at least 2 x 2oz)

- I'd have still to carry tubes as well

- It's difficult to inflate with a mini pump after sealant replacement

- On a longer trip >3-6 months I would have to periodically replace the sealant (not my case)

Any thoughts? Any experience with off-road touring with tubeless?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service