The Chainlink

Hey Yall, 

I just posted about a Seattle-SanFran trip that I'm taking in the fall and wanted to create a separate post about touring bikes....

If anyone can provide any advice on what kind of brand of bicycle is best, any requirements, musts, do's and don'ts about buying and riding a touring bike for long 1000+ mile trips. Thanks so much. 

Ride on. 

Jakki

Views: 4851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of curiosity..

Both frames are 4130 Cro-Mo. What other features determine the quality of the tube set?

notoriousDUG said:

Apples/oranges between the two frames; the Campuer is a better tube set, has some nicer features and different geometry.  It costs more because it is a nicer built frame.

Tricolor said:

I was very close to ordering one (even waiting for them to come back in stock, which they now are) but chickened out at $500 plus shipping plus a new threaded headset and a threadless adapter compared to $470 for an LHT frame sent to my door.  The VO's a beautiful looking bike, though.

Michael A said:

That Velo orange campuer is another awesome option, frameset is about 500 and you can have it built without bar end shifters.

I will say the silver paint on the new LHT frame seems thicker and softer than the old 2011 blue color.  There was a lot of blobby overspray on the shift bosses and brake pegs that I had to file down and touch up, too.  Guess I'm getting what I paid for.  At least the settlement check for the old bike arrived before the credit card bill is due.  Plus I've never built up a new bike (minus the wheels) and that's been interesting.

notoriousDUG said:

Apples/oranges between the two frames; the Campuer is a better tube set, has some nicer features and different geometry.  It costs more because it is a nicer built frame.

Tricolor said:

I was very close to ordering one (even waiting for them to come back in stock, which they now are) but chickened out at $500 plus shipping plus a new threaded headset and a threadless adapter compared to $470 for an LHT frame sent to my door.  The VO's a beautiful looking bike, though

The VO is a double butted tude set and the LHT is straight gauge tubing.  The VO has an integral seat post binder, rear brake cable hanger on the frame and is a little nicer finish quality all around.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

Both frames are 4130 Cro-Mo. What other features determine the quality of the tube set?

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

I was very close to ordering one (even waiting for them to come back in stock, which they now are) but chickened out at $500 plus shipping plus a new threaded headset and a threadless adapter compared to $470 for an LHT frame sent to my door.  The VO's a beautiful looking bike, though.

Michael A said:

That Velo orange campuer is another awesome option, frameset is about 500 and you can have it built without bar end shifters.

I rode sue Clark's 42 last week and it actually fit me! Of course they come with 26 wheels.

Thedutchtouch said:
Some day I'll own a long haul trucker. I've tested out a few and they are great bikes, bare, loaded down with gear, and everywhere in between. Are you planning on 26 or 700c size wheels? Each has their pros/cons
I may have to steal yours one night when you sleep:))

Sue Clark said:
52cm seems really tall for someone who's 5'3". I had a 19" bike w/27" wheels and that was not a bike I could stand over. I'm 5'3", also. The other thing to consider on a bike is the reach, and how that distance works for you.

I'm another with a 42cm LHT. I find it really comfortable.

Actually, the main triangle of the LHT is Double butted.

notoriousDUG said:

The VO is a double butted tude set and the LHT is straight gauge tubing.  The VO has an integral seat post binder, rear brake cable hanger on the frame and is a little nicer finish quality all around.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

Michael A said:

Thanks. Does the double butted tubing place any limits on rider weight? I am 190-195 LBS and 6'2".

I have an LHT and I am thinking of upgrading the frame to something a little nicer/speedier/nimbler/insert-any-lame-justification-for-a-bike-I-don't-need-but-still-want.

Note: the LHT has a rear brake cable hanger on the frame too. I believe the Surly Cross-Check does not.

notoriousDUG said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

Michael A said:

Steel is usually recommended for heavier riders (not that you're all that heavy).  REI has a nice summary page on frame materials: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-frame-materials.html

I'd really encourage you to hang on to your LHT.  It's cool and has a huge cult following.  But if you really want to go faster, you should look at the two real obstacles: aero drag and rolling resistance, i.e. make sure to always wear a lycra jersey and shorts and replace your tires with slicks.  If you want it to feel more nimble, jack up the air pressure.

IME, tire tread and inflation pressure is really the most effective way to change ride characteristics.  Beyond tires, you're looking at diminishing returns.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Thanks. Does the double butted tubing place any limits on rider weight? I am 190-195 LBS and 6'2".

I have an LHT and I am thinking of upgrading the frame to something a little nicer/speedier/nimbler/insert-any-lame-justification-for-a-bike-I-don't-need-but-still-want.

I was misinformed about that apparently...

spencewine said:

Actually, the main triangle of the LHT is Double butted.

notoriousDUG said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

Michael A said:

You are more than fine; my commuter is a double butted frame built in 1987 and I weigh 220 and it's doing fine.

I was thinking of the Cross Check with the hanger, not the LHT so I stand corrected again.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Note: the LHT has a rear brake cable hanger on the frame too. I believe the Surly Cross-Check does not.

notoriousDUG said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

Michael A said:

Double butted is a vague descriptor that includes a broad range of bike frames. Racing frames and touring frames may both be double butted. Standard diameter tubes and oversized tubes may also be labeled as double butted.

You might want to check out the Soma Grand Randonneur. It hasn't been released yet, but it looks like it will be soon. Not many affordable randonneuring specific bikes out there and it sounds like what you're looking for. I'm watching intently with hopes to eventually replace my Trek 520 for brevet duty. Note that the Soma is 650b instead of 700c.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

notoriousDUG said:

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Out of curiosity..

notoriousDUG said:

Tricolor said:

Michael A said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service