The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I propose a gesture - hand to your head in the old school telephone position, then very exaggeratedly hang up your pretend phone. And smile! A very big fake smile, or a real one!

Maurice said:

Soccer mom in the silver minivan driving past a school while looking down at your cell phone. If your phone requires that much attention, pull to the curb and stop before you murder some kid. At least consider stopping at the stop sign and not rolling through it full speed into me when I have the right away. Or, if you're going to roll it, just keep going so I can swerve behind you, instead of stopping directly in front of me leaving me stuck in the intersection. Then, when you suddenly turn right with no signal, don't drive next to me while slowly inching closer until I'm wedged between you and parked cars, forcing me to scream, "What the f@#$ are you doing?"

Y'know what? Just put down the phone and none of this would have happened, you self-centered jerk.

To: Fast people on road bikes during regular morning commute times on the LFP.....including the gentleman with the headphones who nearly took out me and a runner by NAB this morning.

I know you are fast. Very, very fast. Your amazing bikes, super cool helmets, and matching spandex suits are testimony to the fact that you are indeed very, very fast.
I respect your speed. I respect the fact that most of you look great in spandex. I also respect your need to train, and the fact that you are a superior biker. I would just request that you:
a) keep your eyes on the traffic in front of you as people are commuting to work at that time and dodging runners/pedestrians, and
b) give some effing indication that you are going to be passing me at warp speed, usually right at the moment when I am moving over to pass a runner/pedestrian/pile o sand. I do look before I move, but you are so terribly fast that sometimes I do not see or hear your fast-ness approaching.

If you could add a few precious ounces on your bike to accommodate a bell and/or give an “onyerleft”, the slower commuter contingent would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance.

To: The runner that I passed close enough to push off the path and scare the hell out of. I’m really very sorry. I hope that slowing down and apologizing profusely was sufficient damage control against promoting hatred of bikes.

Hah, one of my favourite moves. It tends to annoy them quite a bit. 

Tony Adams 7 mi said:

I propose a gesture - hand to your head in the old school telephone position, then very exaggeratedly hang up your pretend phone. And smile! A very big fake smile, or a real one!

Love it!

Tim S said:

Hah, one of my favourite moves. It tends to annoy them quite a bit. 

Tony Adams 7 mi said:

I guess the phone was incidental. On my return commute this evening, a guy pulled out of a surface lot directly into my path in the bike lane on Des Plaines and then just stopped for no apparent reason. This was at 8:30pm, so there was zero car traffic preventing him from continuing, and I was extremely visible with my very bright head light.

He tried to say something to me but didn't realize that whatever he said was completely inaudible through his rolled-up car window. I can't read lips very well, but it didn't look anything like, "I'm sorry."

Had a few.

To the lovely lady i had a nice chat with while riding home northwest on Clybourn yesterday. Thanks for makin the ride home better. Started with me seeing ya comin up from behind in traffic and me moving over. You yelled "i'm not in a hurry to get to the red light." Good. Hope for the universe.

To the dude that was in front of me at the red light last monday when i got hit. Thanks for checkin on me when you saw me in traffic today. Much appreciated. More hope for the universe.

To the old woman in the orange 4 door wagon that accelerated to break neck speed to cut me off with a right hook at Montrose and Damen. I know you heard every awful thing i yelled. And you're lucky I wasn't holding my u-lock or it woulda been WAY worse for ya. Bitch. Oh well, 2 outta 3.

Was this me?? Webster-ish to Diversey?  Lovely to chat with you too! Always makes the ride more fun :)

Vilda said:

To the lovely lady i had a nice chat with while riding home northwest on Clybourn yesterday. Thanks for makin the ride home better. Started with me seeing ya comin up from behind in traffic and me moving over. You yelled "i'm not in a hurry to get to the red light." Good. Hope for the universe.

Did we talk about the placement of the traffic sign in the bike lane in front of taco bell?

To the guy who was flying up Milwaukee and very nearly hit a blue Smart car legally proceeding through the intersection at Oakley and then proceeded to flip off the driver of said Smart car (twice):

You should be very thankful that my husband was driving my car instead of me.  If I had seen your dick move, or if God forbid you had hit my car, I would have chased you down and gone vigilante on your ass.  I already hate bikers who blatantly disregard the rules of the road, but by flipping off my husband (who was totally obeying the law) you proved yourself to be a complete asshole and helped perpetuate the popular negative stereotypes about cyclists.  Thanks douchebag.  

I just hope that the karma bus finds you one of these days!

I got one from this morning:

Going southbound on Elston Ave. You were riding on a hybrid, with a back rack and a cargo back on it. You were pedaling inefficiently if I may say so, while I was pedaling on my hybrid at a comfortable cadence, yet still going faster than you. I wasn't racing or trying to pass, my pace just happened to be faster than yours. You however, thought it WAS a race.

Not only did you have no regard for red lights, you were constantly shoaling me. At busy red lights, where you were forced to stop, you would of course coast in front of me, take off with your overly-intense pedaling, only to have me pass you again while I was pedaling comfortably. I shamed you at one point by saying "If you blow red lights you ruin it for us all." You stopped, in embarrassment I hope, but took off when the light changed, and proceeded to blow every right light ahead, playing Frogger with your life.

Nice commuting etiquette...NOT

That seems to be a thing on Elston lately... I've started making a game with myself to count how many times I re-pass shoaling riders. Most I've got so far is 7 (which is ABSURD).

Matt Talbert said:

I got one from this morning:

Going southbound on Elston Ave. You were riding on a hybrid, with a back rack and a cargo back on it. You were pedaling inefficiently if I may say so, while I was pedaling on my hybrid at a comfortable cadence, yet still going faster than you. I wasn't racing or trying to pass, my pace just happened to be faster than yours. You however, thought it WAS a race.

Not only did you have no regard for red lights, you were constantly shoaling me. At busy red lights, where you were forced to stop, you would of course coast in front of me, take off with your overly-intense pedaling, only to have me pass you again while I was pedaling comfortably. I shamed you at one point by saying "If you blow red lights you ruin it for us all." You stopped, in embarrassment I hope, but took off when the light changed, and proceeded to blow every right light ahead, playing Frogger with your life.

Nice commuting etiquette...NOT

To the guy going south on Damen by Chicago (I think) earlier this morning. We had some great non verbal comunication after the red light. I had no intention of passing you but you signaled me on when the light turned green. I believe that you were behind me when I turned right on Fulton. I normally don't signal the right turn but our earlier exchange made me want to give you the same courtesy that you had given me earlier. People like you make me want to be a better cyclist.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service