The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice igz, even though when I chat with a fellow rider or vehicle on the street I have limited hope that it will modify their behaviour it still feels good. 

You laid on the horn as you buzzed me on Palmer, just past the police station. When I caught up to you and asked you if you had a problem with bikes on the road, you stopped your giant SUV to tell me that you would "F---" me up. Your friend in the passenger seat was more level-headed when he said "just go, man" to you. You looked like you realized he was right when I read off your Illinois license plate number of "111 1649" because then you sped off, like the coward you are. 

Dear everyone riding on Sheridan Road North of the Lakefront trail rather than the bike lanes on Winthrop and Kenmore: please stop weaving in and out of stopped traffic before you get killed.  You won't get shot on Kenmore, I promise.

hey people riding south on halsted past 34th st, please don't duck in gutter and then move into the bike lane when you come across a parked car.  it's not necessary, there's a continuous bike lane.  just ride in the bike lane!  and ride straight!  weaving in and out is just confusing and makes me think you are pulling over.  also you're getting into a blind spot and could get doored.  should i say something?

Pardon my ignorance, Jeff. What does "shoal" mean in this context? Urban Dictionary is no help here.

Thanks!

Steve

Jeff Schneider said:

To the nice young woman in the Dearborn PBL who refused my offer to let you shoal at a stop light...  I offered to let you pass on my right, because I usually get shoaled and that's how it's normally done.  Why fight it?, I thought.  But your politeness and common sense made my day.  "That's OK, you are riding faster than me anyway." :-)

From Bike Snob NYC (5/12/09):

"This rule is as follows:

If you stop at a red light and there is already another cyclist waiting at it, you must stop your bicycle in front of the rider who is already there. 

As far as I know, I am the only cyclist in New York who does not observe this rule, because while I'm quite happy to queue up behind somebody at an intersection, I have never, ever had somebody stop behind me. If you're waiting, someone will pull up ahead of you. If a third person comes, they'll roll ahead and stop in front of the second person. On a busy day, this accumulation results in sort of a shoal of cyclists which juts out into the middle of the street like a sandbar of idiocy."

Steve Weeks said:

Pardon my ignorance, Jeff. What does "shoal" mean in this context? Urban Dictionary is no help here.

Thanks!

Steve

Jeff Schneider said:

[snip]

So, so true.  I should just take a camera and film the Lakefront path at the intersection of Grand by Navy Pier.  Even the joggers get involved...

Kevin C said:

"sandbar of idiocy."

Thanks, Kevin!

That makes perfect sense once explained. Sort of like the explanation of "Critical Mass". ;-)

I don't see so much "shoaling" on my commute, since there usually aren't more than one or two other bikes, and often they line up behind me. What I *do* see fairly often is other cyclists blowing past me, often on my right, without a word. I do have a rear-view mirror, but it pisses me off when they come up in my blind spot.

Steve

Kevin C said:

"This rule is as follows:

If you stop at a red light and there is already another cyclist waiting at it, you must stop your bicycle in front of the rider who is already there. 

As far as I know, I am the only cyclist in New York who does not observe this rule, because while I'm quite happy to queue up behind somebody at an intersection, I have never, ever had somebody stop behind me. If you're waiting, someone will pull up ahead of you. If a third person comes, they'll roll ahead and stop in front of the second person. On a busy day, this accumulation results in sort of a shoal of cyclists which juts out into the middle of the street like a sandbar of idiocy."

Steve Weeks said:

Thanks!

Steve

Jeff Schneider said:

[snip]

To the bird whose crap landed on my leg on my ride in this morning: WTF!?!

You're lucky! I had one land in my eye a few years ago. EEEeeeeeewwwwww.

Steve

Nançois 8.5 said:

To the bird whose crap landed on my leg on my ride in this morning: WTF!?!

To the (probably) Northwestern student/summer camp counselor who endured a clueless woman in a black Tesla, first blocking the middle of the street trying to turn around, then cutting you off to double park on Foster Ave in Evanston at 5:15 tonight:

I felt for you dude - I was in the Honda trying to keep as far away from you and that train wreck as possible. I saw your head was about to explode, but you kept it down to a menacing stare.

Good for you.

Safe travels.

Sometimes I think I'd like to install a paintball gun on my frame for jerks like that. But... I settle for a very loud air horn. Most car drivers don't expect a noise that loud from a bike, so they think it's another car. I;ve had some very satisfying results using it on people turning right in front of me. :-)

Steve

Michael Perez said:

To the asshole in the blue 2013 toyota camry with a douchebag haircut spiked up listening to some extremely terrible music driving southbound on halsted and cermak around 5:52 pm today, you clearly saw me on the bike lane and you decided to merge and overtake me basically almost running me into the curb. You broke some more because you wanted to be a dick and let me crash into your bumper while you took off when you made a right. You knew I was there traveling at a fast rate and you decided to turn. Why?!?!?!?! You bastard!!! I hit your bumper hard and still managed to unclip my left foot to keep balance after you did that. I used whatever retention i have to slow down my god damn bike just because you wanted to be an asshole and turn. Drive like a normal asshole and wait for me to pass the intersection. Thanks a lot, my knees hurt now.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service