Just a reminder that there are no bikes on the Metra during The Taste.  I also noticed waaaaaaaay more clueless people on the LFP from 1-3pm today.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I HATE the Taste. Can't wait 'til it's over.
Yesterday I was getting takeout from a neighborhood restaurant and the subject of the Taste came up. Apparently they were approached last year and this year about being part of the event, but they said no. The upfront costs for vendors are so high that they are prohibitive for smaller, newer restaurants.

The restaurant owner said that they're doing good business from word of mouth and repeat business. The costs for the Taste would not be worth it to them at this stage. They keep growing and hiring more employees, doing just fine without the exposure that the Taste would bring. They also supply some items to other restaurants.

If there's a small neighborhood restaurant that you really love, go there regularly, take your friends, and (if it's workable) bring takeout items from there to share with friends. I got a pie yesterday and took it to a BBQ in another neighborhood. Because I love the restaurant and so many friends enjoy their pies, I make a point to bring them to gatherings around the city.

Many restaurants that I enjoy participate in the Taste. I'd rather go to the restaurants any day than wade through crowds at the Taste. Patronizing neighborhood places boosts the neighborhood and the city.
SLAYER! That's not even really a burger - it's a pile of green oniony, french friy, chiliy, etc goodness with a beef patty somewhere in there.

Matt Locaciato said:
The taste is great and all but too much money. still a must have in such a great food town. I work at Kumas Corner. stop by for a real good cheap burger. and great beer.
The 'Taste' does horrible things to a Metra/Cycle Commuter. i was a reverse commuter and taking a bike is quite convenient minus the blackout dates. and the blackout dates have been minimized over the years ive noticed.

however...the 'taste' blackout dates, and a 'no exeptions' philosophy are nonsense.

last year, i took photos everyday of the seats and the bike area. EMPTY. empty everyday except friday afternoon. i was going to email the photos to metra along with a detailed email suggesting the 'no exeptions' policy to be reviewed. sadly, metra does not take emails, and i wasnt going to get any success out of printed cell phone pictures.

i understand that maybe SOME of the Metra lines are packed daily for taste, but to have such a blanket policy over the entire system...well...that just puts a bad taste in my mouth
It's nonsense of unbelievable proportions. Good thing I didn't want to really go to Tinley Creek this weekend or next. Exactly how many people are going to be going out of the city to Oak Forest on a Saturday or Sunday morning? Taste of Oak Forest!

iggi said:
The 'Taste' does horrible things to a Metra/Cycle Commuter. i was a reverse commuter and taking a bike is quite convenient minus the blackout dates. and the blackout dates have been minimized over the years ive noticed.

however...the 'taste' blackout dates, and a 'no exeptions' philosophy are nonsense.

last year, i took photos everyday of the seats and the bike area. EMPTY. empty everyday except friday afternoon. i was going to email the photos to metra along with a detailed email suggesting the 'no exeptions' policy to be reviewed. sadly, metra does not take emails, and i wasnt going to get any success out of printed cell phone pictures.

i understand that maybe SOME of the Metra lines are packed daily for taste, but to have such a blanket policy over the entire system...well...that just puts a bad taste in my mouth
I agree with Anne. It has to be one of the worst culinary experiences I have ever had. I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking of it!
If the crowds on Metra are really so big, they should simply add a car to the trains. As it stands, they are punishing the frequent users of the system in favor over the handful that ride only once a year. As much as the City talks up being pro-bike, their actions speak louder than than words.

iggi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service