The Chainlink

I saw one of the stop sign stings for bikers this morning on Wells Street.  It was pretty obvious as to what it was, but people were still blowing through the stop sign.

Anyone here get caught?  Any thoughts on this?

One thing that I thought was funny was this girl who passed me while I was stopping, and then was flagged over and still tried to go.  The police stepped in front of her...it looked like she was going to make a break for it, but she ended up stopping.

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same disagreement.
Different subject line.
All the same arguments.
The battle lines are drawn.
And it's Waving Wednesday too...

notoriousDUG said:
I get upset when people get that ignorant and it shows.

Here is the thing:

While I do not agree with the current laws regarding cyclists and traffic controls or the selective enforcement of these laws the fact remains that it is still the law and it can be enforced. If you feel the law is wrong, useless or unjust you have three choices; ignore it and face the consequences like an adult, work to change the law or shut the hell up. Running around railing on the internet about how cars suck, the law sucks and the police suck is not going to do anything to solve the problem, in fact that kind of attitude makes things worse.

I run stops using what I consider to be good judgment but if I get pinched you aren't going to see me complaining about it.

Kellie said:
Geez Doug, learn to form an opinion!

notoriousDUG said:
This is just a flat out ignorant view because no matter how well you justify your opinion of what should be it does not change what the law actually is.

It's your life but how does your choice affect the pedestrian you run over and injure or the motorist you ride in front of and traumatize?

There are more cars then there are bikes and if we want to use the roads we need to acknowledge the rules of the road and accept that we can follow them or pay the price; usually with a ticket but occasionally our physical well being or even life.

If cars suck so bad I challenge you to live a 100% car free life, and by car free I mean quit buying anything or using ant service that requires a motor vehicle to get to you; let me know how starving to death works out for you.

Eddie said:
...Not the same speed, weight, and killing power, hence not the same rules. Cars suck, and if there weren't so many, we wouldn't need all these stop signs. F'k the stop signs, and the cops who try to enforce them!! It's my life, and my time, and I choose when to stop, and when not to.

Regards,

A guy who has already been run over by a stupid driver.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
While this should be enforced for all road users, keep in mind that blowing a stop sign carries graver danger for a cyclist than a motorist.

Remember - Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules.
Thanks so much for posting this! Helping bring the Idaho stop to Chicago is on my long-term agenda. I had no idea such a beautiful educational video existed.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:

This is the only sane way for a bicycle to operate and obey the laws.
Hahaha, what? I didn't realize danger and order were always related in that way. I guess I should install my bottom bracket cups before the bottom bracket. There's no danger there because I won't be going anywhere with an empty bottom bracket shell.

Just admit that you don't give a damn about anyone's time or safety other than your own.

Eddie said:
There would be less stop signs. Bikes are smaller, very easy to manuver, do very little if no damage when crashed. There could be reason to have less order. As danger goes down then so should order (e.g. stop signs, lights, etc).
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Let's say there were less cars and more bikes. Wouldn't the increase in bike riders still make stop signs necessary?

Eddie said:
Did you even read my message? I think you misunderstood. I choose to break the law when my safety is not compromised. And again, (if you didn't hear it the first time), if there weren't so many cars, we wouldn't have so many stop signs. And personnally, I think that if you drive a car, you should be penalized with more stop signs. If not for the mere fact that you are more dangerous, and you polute.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
As it stands now, yes, Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules. If you have a problem with it, try to get it changed. Just because you don't like a rule doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. I'm sure all cyclists would be overjoyed if motorists decided to run red lights with abandon, etc. I have a feeling the number of ghost bikes would skyrocket.

Eddie said:
...Not the same speed, weight, and killing power, hence not the same rules. Cars suck, and if there weren't so many, we wouldn't need all these stop signs. F'k the stop signs, and the cops who try to enforce them!! It's my life, and my time, and I choose when to stop, and when not to.
Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
While this should be enforced for all road users, keep in mind that blowing a stop sign carries graver danger for a cyclist than a motorist.

Yeah, so anarchy never works but I digress...

If you filled the road with bikes and got rid of cars you would still need to have traffic controls because for one thing you are still going to have public transportation because not everyone can/will use a bike not to mention the need for delivery and service vehicles but we'll ignore that little issue and assume a 100% bike world so we replace all the cars on the road with bikes and now we have streets clogged with cyclists taking almost the same routes to and from almost the exact same places that people are driving to and from and you are going to end up with something like this:

Can you imagine trying to navigate that with no form of traffic control? not only would it be nearly impossible to make it through a major 4 way but you would have a ton of collisions, injuries and pissed off people. Trying to hold onto the opinion that reducing the number of cars is going to reduce the number of cars is very poor logic at best.

Seriously, imaging trying to navigate a 4 way where everything looks like this:

And shut the pie hole about how with the proper infrastructure and better city planning making everything run smooth because the fact of the matter is our city is already laid out and making the changes to make it friendly to that many cyclists is a financial impossibility
Never mind that fact that without fuel tax and vehicle registrations we are either going to pay a hefty 'bike tax' or have some pretty crappy roads to ride on.

Use your head, stop hating on cars and learn to work the system and make changes as a whole because fighting 'the man' at street level very rarely works out well.

Eddie said:
There would be less stop signs. Bikes are smaller, very easy to manuver, do very little if no damage when crashed. There could be reason to have less order. As danger goes down then so should order (e.g. stop signs, lights, etc).
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Let's say there were less cars and more bikes. Wouldn't the increase in bike riders still make stop signs necessary?

Eddie said:
Did you even read my message? I think you misunderstood. I choose to break the law when my safety is not compromised. And again, (if you didn't hear it the first time), if there weren't so many cars, we wouldn't have so many stop signs. And personnally, I think that if you drive a car, you should be penalized with more stop signs. If not for the mere fact that you are more dangerous, and you polute.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
As it stands now, yes, Same Road, Same Rights, Same Rules. If you have a problem with it, try to get it changed. Just because you don't like a rule doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. I'm sure all cyclists would be overjoyed if motorists decided to run red lights with abandon, etc. I have a feeling the number of ghost bikes would skyrocket.

Eddie said:
Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Eddie said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Eddie said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Eddie said:
Regards,

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Eddie didn't say you'd need no traffic controls with bikes, he said you'd need fewer controls (OK, he actually said "less", but give him a brake :-). It's right there in the first line of his post.

And if you get away from straw-man arguments and I hate cars/I hate bikes and all that and just think about urban planning, the point is correct. In my neighborhood, there's a stop sign at every single corner and they're all really just for cars. If we had 100% bike traffic, we'd still need traffic controls on major streets and intersections, but many of the side street stop signs could safely be removed.

Even at, say, 50% bike traffic or so, most four-way stop signs could easily be converted to two-way stop signs. Bikes require less infrastructure support, that's not a radical anti-car statement, it's just the simple truth.

notoriousDUG said:

If you filled the road with bikes and got rid of cars you would still need to have traffic controls because for one thing you are still going to have public transportation because not everyone can/will use a bike not to mention the need for delivery and service vehicles but we'll ignore that little issue and assume a 100% bike world so we replace all the cars on the road with bikes and now we have streets clogged with cyclists taking almost the same routes to and from almost the exact same places that people are driving to and from and you are going to end up with something like this:
There will be less but they still need to be there and I am just taking it to an extreme to make a point.

I support the bicycle rolling stop for side streets, stop signs and the like as well as treating signals like stop signs or a yield.

It is an issue of city planning and the cities have already been planned and society has been programed and if we want to change the standard plan in the future and update societies programing the 'CARS SUCK!' 'FUCK THE COPS!' 'YOUR EVIL IF YOU DRIVE!' rhetoric needs to stop, people need to respect drivers and otherwise put goodwill out there to help convert people.

Successful conversion never comes from a negative campaign; preaching bikes rock is better then preaching cars suck.

David said:
Eddie didn't say you'd need no traffic controls with bikes, he said you'd need fewer controls (OK, he actually said "less", but give him a brake :-). It's right there in the first line of his post.

And if you get away from straw-man arguments and I hate cars/I hate bikes and all that and just think about urban planning, the point is correct. In my neighborhood, there's a stop sign at every single corner and they're all really just for cars. If we had 100% bike traffic, we'd still need traffic controls on major streets and intersections, but many of the side street stop signs could safely be removed.

Even at, say, 50% bike traffic or so, most four-way stop signs could easily be converted to two-way stop signs. Bikes require less infrastructure support, that's not a radical anti-car statement, it's just the simple truth.

notoriousDUG said:

The problem is, among other things, that Chicago makes almost every non-signalized intersection a 4-way stop, and this make both cars and bikers real real lazy. Its bad road design. If there were more "cross traffic does not stop" intersections, you would have far less stop sign blowers.

I was in Florida on vacation, driving a car, and anytime I was on residential streets I would stop at every intersection, even if I didn't have a stop sign. That's how conditioned I've become to Chicago streets.
(SORT OF OFF TOPIC) Dug,

I'm not sure if you know this but Anarchism has a long history of being a legitimate non-authoritarian truly democratic model for political organizating. The lack of law is not Anarchism. For further explanation click the links or watch this:

And it has actually existed as a model in our history most dramatically in the 1936 Spainish Revolution where there was a real Anarchist soceity,

They don't cover this in the video but the reason the Anarchists revolution was crushed wasn't due to an internal failure. In fact the new model of organization ended up being far more productive than anywhere else Europe at the time. Rather than ending by internal failure the revolution was subverted by an agreement between the Capitalists and Communists to no longer supply the Catalonia region with steel for bullets. When they cut of the supply they put a nose around the neck of the revolution.

And finally this nice music break...
I told the operator that I was reporting "suspicious activity." Why do you ask?

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
What exactly did you tell the police when you called 911?
Amy Abramson said:
Interesting. Had the cops been on Wells at around 4:45pm they would have caught a guy walking (very quickly, westward) with a bike frame (no wheels, etc.) and rolling another bike by his side. I called 911. Did they follow up on that? Who knows...

I really question the priorities here.
The city is in a huge budget crisis and the front page of one of the daily's (can't remember which one) was about not enough tickets being written.

We ditch the car to avoid parking fines, a parking permit, insurance, gas...then they start ticketing bikes.

I'd say sit at an intersection in Lincoln park, Wicker Park, Loop, River north and see how many cars don't stop or are talking on the phone.

Or start giving cabbies, out of state/area drivers and luxury vehicle drivers tickets IMO they are the worst!
notoriousDUG said:
There will be less but they still need to be there and I am just taking it to an extreme to make a point.
I support the bicycle rolling stop for side streets, stop signs and the like as well as treating signals like stop signs or a yield. It is an issue of city planning and the cities have already been planned and society has been programed and if we want to change the standard plan in the future and update societies programing the 'CARS SUCK!' 'FUCK THE COPS!' 'YOUR EVIL IF YOU DRIVE!' rhetoric needs to stop, people need to respect drivers and otherwise put goodwill out there to help convert people.

I think you're confusing communication within a relatively like-minded community with an advocacy effort (this is where I'm supposed to use the word "ignorant" by your protocol, I think, but I don't think you are). Just because someone expresses here that cars need to go away, are the root of many of our problems, adversely affect the quality of life in our city, should come with a cost for use adequate to offset the cost to society etc., doesn't mean they're going to make a similar announcement in the lunch line at work, or at their family picnic. In fact, most of us don't have the freedom to do so in such situations, so one of the things we participate in a message board like this for is to be able to express such views without being bullied into submission.
Why not try to be a little more tolerant of the message that cars NTGA? Why is it so threatening to you? Why do you feel such a strong need to take this forum away from us?
What would happen if you swapped Mr. Yuck out for a smiley face? Can we try it, just for one day at least?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service