The Chainlink

Cops writing tickets for rolling the stop signs just east of the river, in the protected lane. You're gonna want to stop :-/. One of the cops told me he was going to "knock me off my bike if I didn't stop". As always, a bunch of sweethearts.

Views: 3704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand fully what the law states. I disagree with parts of it, but if I get caught, then I am willing to pay the price. I hold a cycle-specific light in higher standards because it shows that the city is honoring cyclists by installing it, and I'd be disrespectful if I took it for granted and ignored it. When riding a bike in Chicago, I am most concerned about my safety and the safety of others around me; anything else takes a back seat, including what the law states.

I get what you're saying, but there are separate rules for trucks and cars (for example different speed limits, roads they can/can't drive on, etc.).  Tweaks to existing laws could make cycling safer...actually traffic lights that gave bicycles a few seconds head start and were timed better for cyclists (longer yellows for example) would be great.  

S said:

The natural question then arises that if you want different rules and rights then every other vehicle on the road, why should you have the right to use the road on a bike? Adding a different class of vehicle that follows entirely different rules complicates things on the road and that usually results in more accidents.  And if you're not willing to obey the current regulations currently, why would anyone believe that you'd obey the 'special' rules that you want?

Zoetrope said:

I don't wan't the same rights or the same rules as cars.  I wan't different rules, because a car is not a bike and vice versa.  This is something that you and the plus one'rs will probably never get, sadly.  Read my other post above the last if you want to know how I feel.  I'm sure you probably have already and chose to reply to the snarky comment though, because it was more convenient for you to attack a stupid post.  Just like it is more convenient to not think too deeply about things.

I don't advocate running stop signs or red lights but I do it all the time, and I will continue to do it despite this short-sighted "crackdown" at this privileged intersection.  If you truly believe that cyclists being more courteous, not rolling stop signs, etc will significantly increase the number of riders in the city and get cyclists more protected lanes, you are living in a fantasy.         

They were at it again this morning.  Not sure if they were there yesterday, as I had to take CTA since my allergies were killing me.

I avoid these protected lanes as much as I do the lakefront bike path.  Too crowded, too many cyclists (along with peds and cars) not obeying the rules (the common-sense as well as letter-of-the-law rules).

Agree, the Kenzie bike lane is a complete fucking mess. I'm really getting over it, too many people, super slow, I know it sounds snobbish, but I'd rather risk it on the streets until more people get comfortable riding in the city. If people (both cyclist and motorist) knew what the fuck they were doing and started to pay attention to their surroundings we wouldn't need ANY bike lanes. 

Bill Savage said:

I avoid these protected lanes as much as I do the lakefront bike path.  Too crowded, too many cyclists (along with peds and cars) not obeying the rules (the common-sense as well as letter-of-the-law rules).

If the Kenzie lane is actually *congested*, it's been a huge success in my book.

-jbn

+1

If you don't want to use the Kinzie cycle track, then that's fine. I'm just glad that the city is actually adding good bike infrastructure, and that people are actually using it.

Justin B Newman said:

If the Kenzie lane is actually *congested*, it's been a huge success in my book.

-jbn

Wow, I'm glad the police are doing this. I had no idea bicyclists were ever ticketed for anything.

If it is congested and difficult to use to the point that regular commuters are seeking other routes is it really good bike infrastructure?

Adam Herstein said:

+1

If you don't want to use the Kinzie cycle track, then that's fine. I'm just glad that the city is actually adding good bike infrastructure, and that people are actually using it.

Justin B Newman said:

-jbn

With you there, it's nice to hear there are congestion problems on the Kinzie lane.

Adam Herstein said:

+1

Justin B Newman said:

-jbn

Yes, but the problem is that there are not enough of these cycle tracks to take the stress off of Kinzie. Hopefully, that will come in time.

Also, I never find that Kinzie is overcrowded. Not sure when you are riding it it, but I typically ride weekday afternoons and rarely see it crowded.

notoriousDUG said:

If it is congested and difficult to use to the point that regular commuters are seeking other routes is it really good bike infrastructure?

Adam Herstein said:

+1

Justin B Newman said:

-jbn

Yes.  More infrastructure like this definitely encourages new riders to use it, and the more experienced riders can either just be patient or find another route.

Hopefully an upgraded signaling system will help with the confusion.  IMO, that's the main problem with Kinzie...even when a car technically has the right of way, the street may be too congested for them to make a turn so I never know if they're going to still attempt it or just let the cyclists pass.  Then when I do stop to wait my turn, other cyclists are blowing through, creating more confusion.  I'd rather have a couple lights at the busier intersections rather than stop signs.  No right-of-way questions.

notoriousDUG said:

Adam Herstein said:

+1

Justin B Newman said:

-jbn

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service