The Chainlink

"With all the stolen bike posts lately (and no one thinking "I wonder if there's something under Useful Links for this."), I think it's well past time to make a sticky about the Stolen Bike Registry"

- Tank-Ridin' Ryan

Well said Ryan.

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/

Done and done.

And sticky too.

Cheers - Lee Diamond

Views: 27018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had my helmet stolen off my bike today. Not as bad as losing my bike for sure but it still sucks.
yes that sucks. if you need a helmet stop over tonight (neighbor). I have some extras.

Dan

Mechanical Marco said:
I had my helmet stolen off my bike today. Not as bad as losing my bike for sure but it still sucks.
Hello all,
I must say that there's nothing like having your own bike stolen to make you pay attention to the epidemic that is plaguing Chicago. I lost my bike on 08/30 and have been thinking about ways to get it back. Since it appears that the CPD prioritizes bike theft as high as jaywalking as something to work on, what do you all think about holding a discussion with them to try to get them to elevate this issue? Any interest in forming an ad-hoc organizing committee? I've got ideas, just need some more folks willing to lead and do some leg work. Meet sometime in early October? Mary
Welcome to the Chainlink, Mary.
Have you had a chance to look at joining the chainlink bike theft task force group? They may be working on some of your ideas already.

m deba said:
Hello all,
I must say that there's nothing like having your own bike stolen to make you pay attention to the epidemic that is plaguing Chicago. I lost my bike on 08/30 and have been thinking about ways to get it back. Since it appears that the CPD prioritizes bike theft as high as jaywalking as something to work on, what do you all think about holding a discussion with them to try to get them to elevate this issue? Any interest in forming an ad-hoc organizing committee? I've got ideas, just need some more folks willing to lead and do some leg work. Meet sometime in early October? Mary
Thanks, I'll get to work with them.
Noticed this thread over at BF. Some potential ocal bike recovery action
I guess it is this bike
Posting deleted already.
I don't see how anyone could help this person if they won't even take a few minutes to report it stolen.
All of the stories I've heard of Chicago police being helpful with recoveries seem to be in Lakeview.

Duppie said:
I guess it is this bike
I noticed that bike on CL and thought it looked suspiciously cheap for being "only a year old" and I believe "slightly too big" or something like that. I definitely wondered if this had been pilfered. I hope he gets it back.

Duppie said:
I guess it is this bike
There are alot of bikes being posted on Chicago Craigslist right now by 'Donte' and 'Corey' on Chicago Northside. Each entry has a different reason for why they are selling 'their' bike. Back injury, bought a new bike, .... there's at least a dozen. Check for your bike!!!! (I haven't found mine yet...)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Theft reports seem to have slowed down a bit but there are a few trends.
Had a first report with an account from a witness who watched someone steal a bike with a combination cable lock by simply yanking on the bike until the lock mechanism flew apart.
Another current MO on the uptick: Removing street signs to steal bikes. Not talking about "sucker poles"-- these are signs with intact base bolts that someone is going at with the appropriate tools.

All of these reports seem to be coming from Milwaukee Ave from Western/Armitage to Loganland.
Here's a photo taken by this victim:

(sorry, Preview in OS 10.5 has this little bug that doesn't save rotation info)
And here's the most recent.

Regardless, we know CTA signposts are a recipe for woe, but best to avoid all sign posts if possible.

pamela steiner said:
There are alot of bikes being posted on Chicago Craigslist right now by 'Donte' and 'Corey' on Chicago Northside. Each entry has a different reason for why they are selling 'their' bike. Back injury, bought a new bike, .... there's at least a dozen. Check for your bike!!!! (I haven't found mine yet...)
Oh jeez . . .
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/2029431508.html

pamela steiner said:
yeah - i saw that...thought it might be fake at first, but then saw all the postings by Donte and Corey.
Hope at least a few people find their bikes back....

H3N3 said:
Oh jeez . . .
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/2029431508.html

pamela steiner said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service