There's a steam train running on the old Rock Island (now Iowa Interstate) Railroad this Sunday, Sept. 8.   The route parallels the Hennepin Canal parkway and Bureau Creek for half the distance of the ride, so travels through some fairly woodsy country for Illinois.

Rides are from either Tiskilwa to Sheffield and back or from Sheffield to Tiskilwa and back.  Proceeds benefit the fire departments in the two towns.

Trains from Tiskilwa will leave 9 a.m. and return at 11:15 a.m. or leave at noon and return at 2:15 p.m. Tickets may be purchased by calling the Tiskilwa Fire Station non-emergency line at 815-646-4722 and leaving a message.

Trains from Sheffield will leave at 10:30 a.m. and return at 12:45 p.m. or leave at 1:30 p.m. and return at 3:45 p.m. Tickets may be purchased by calling the Sheffield Fire Department non-emergency line at 815-454-2212 and leaving a message.

Tickets are $14 for adults, $7 for ages 3-12 and free for 2 and under.

Tiskilwa is about 8 miles south of the Amtrak station in Princeton.  You could bring your bike on the Amtrak train, ride down to Tiskilwa for the steam train ride.  There's great cycling around Tiskilwa, especially if you like hills, but you can ride the Canal trail if you don't.

I'd be happy to assist anyone interested in coming out.

Pic is the Canal and path at Wyanet, about mid way on the route.  The train track is just visible through the trees at far right.

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IAIS has two steam engines if I recall.  Are they using the unadorned Chinese locomotive or the one that's been Americanized?  Or will it be someone else's engine?

I couldn't find anything about the engine or cars online.  Seems to me the last steam engine that ran on the route was a former Milwaukee Road engine, presumably 261.  I think that was last summer, though time flies.  That was a longer trip, Bureau to Rock Island maybe. 

I'm assuming it will be worth the $14 no matter what the consist is.  Bike ride, Train ride, Bike ride, Pizza, Bike ride, is what I'm thinking.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service