The Chainlink

I don't like how slopey top tubes look.  But, I see them everywhere these days.  Why do they exist?  Does anyone actually think they look cool? (I KNOW THATS PROBABLY NOT THE POINT, I'm guessing they have some practical value)  It seems they were not used on the top tubes of the eighties and nineties.  I have four frames of the eighties and all top tubes are parallel to the floor.  So what's the deal with these things yall? 

Views: 3291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, but does that mean a slopey tube frame shape is stronger than a more perfectly triangular shaped frame?  because in my mind, a slopey tube frame is more like a long rectangle or cone, than a triangle... this could be going no where.  (AHAH!  my math teacher was right, we do use math in the real world after we graduate high school.  geometry, calculus, algebra... whatever)

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Smaller triangles are stronger triangles. Boom. Science. 

No worries, I think the same about people that have to dress up with special clippy shoes and tights to ride a bike.

Jennifer on the lake said:

Mostly just to vent, because my arm hurts and why not: I still recall the scathing mansplanation I received when I showed up to some event with my brand new 50cm Cross-Check, all about how I really ought have held out and invested more money (as though I had any more to spare at the time, or ever, but nevermind that) for a custom job with 650b wheels and a shorter, perfectly horizontal top tube, because it would have fit me so much better due to women having shorter arms or something.

I am in the process of building up a new bike and am looking for a lugged non slopey top tube model, in steel.  I have been focusing on Soma and Velorange. Any other suggestions. This will be a long distance bike.

I think surly has non slopey cross and touring bikes... long haul trucker, disc trucker, cross check (I know people who have used cross check for long distance even though its setup as a cross bike)

Or what I did is paid 150.00 bucks for an old Peugeot touring rig I found on craigslist, and put on some new components to my liking.  All those vintage frames are non slope.  or just put drop bars on an old non slop mtn bike.  you could save lots of cash that way if that's an issue.

Deet 4.5mi said:

I am in the process of building up a new bike and am looking for a lugged non slopey top tube model, in steel.  I have been focusing on Soma and Velorange. Any other suggestions. This will be a long distance bike.

I don't think I'd ever use a steel bike for long distance. A loaded Aluminum bike can be 250lbs with rider, gear and water. I could barely get that up a hill. I would say I'd rather be on a steel bike going downhill with that weight then an aluminum bike. I was deathly afraid of a speed wobble at 40mph+.

Deet 4.5mi said:

Minus Soma's San Marcos I don't think any bikes branded for either of those companies have lugs.

When in doubt, Long Haul Trucker, though the Soma Saga is a nice slightly more expensive option.  Nothing wrong with the Campeur frame either, if you're not reusing a threadless headset for the bike.

I suspect that's more about geometry and gear loading than frame composition. If not, how did people ever descend in the days before about 1985?

Zidaane said:

I don't think I'd ever use a steel bike for long distance. A loaded Aluminum bike can be 250lbs with rider, gear and water. I could barely get that up a hill. I would say I'd rather be on a steel bike going downhill with that weight then an aluminum bike. I was deathly afraid of a speed wobble at 40mph+.

I always tour with steel, never had a problem going up or down a hill, or mountain for that matter.

Zidaane said:

Deet 4.5mi said:

The Soma Stayan is lugged.

I forgot to add the part about being really old and having zero experience touring. The low gear on the bike was not near enough. This was PCH1 so, not the easiest hills and there was one about every 2-3 miles.

Robert Underwood said:

I always tour with steel, never had a problem going up or down a hill, or mountain for that matter.

Zidaane said:

Deet 4.5mi said:

That low gear was what made all the difference for me, or I'd have been walking it up the hill!  no way I could've done it without my really small/third chain ring and largest gear in back.

Zidaane said:

I forgot to add the part about being really old and having zero experience touring. The low gear on the bike was not near enough. This was PCH1 so, not the easiest hills and there was one about every 2-3 miles.

Robert Underwood said:

Zidaane said:

Deet 4.5mi said:

I walked/pushed up about 40 hills between San Fran and Santa Cruz. Not fun. The muscles are still popping off the front of my legs a month later. It was push it up and be exhausted, take a photo and then ride that overloaded bike down with my body as stiff as I could make it to not start a death shimmy. Very noob. The bike was a rental off Spinlister and the Brooks saddle was the other biggest mistake. Took half the trip to dial it in to reasonably uncomfortable. Another mistake was biking about 50 miles around San Fran the day before the actual trip. My legs are like an IPhone 4 battery... they don't charge up all the way and they don't hold the charge for very long.

Going back in September with my own bike to do Santa Cruz to Big Sur.

The Raleigh Port Townsend does look handsome though... 

Robert Underwood said:

That low gear was what made all the difference for me, or I'd have been walking it up the hill!  no way I could've done it without my really small/third chain ring and largest gear in back.

Zidaane said:

Robert Underwood said:

Zidaane said:

Deet 4.5mi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service