The Chainlink

Self-Thinning of the Herd (Witnessing Dangerous/Stupid Behavior on the Road)

I'm sure everyone has witnessed people on the road (pedestrians, cyclists, motorists) doing stupid things that put their lives in danger. Any specific instances come to mind?

2 rules:

1. Specifics only - no 'running reds' or j-walking'. Details needed.
2. Only instances that put the perp in danger. No 'this car almost ran this cyclist over' but 'this car sped across the tracks as the gates were coming down' yes.

Calling them out not needed, but it makes for a better read.

Coming up Halsted around Irving, I pass a cyclist on her cell phone. I look back at her while passing. She blows through the red light at Broadway and Montrose, then she's back on her cell phone coming up to Leland. I look back at her again and this exchange takes place:

Her: Do you have a problem?
Me: Just don't want to see you get killed.
Her: Ok, don't watch.

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a reckless biker I'm pretty safe.
A while back, after a rainy day I saw this cyclist cruising around very fast with just one arm. I was at first worried and also awed at the fact that this guy was riding around with his handicap.

He passed me up and dissapeared a block later. I thought to myself he should really be taking it easy with just one hand on the bars, but I thought to myself who am I to judge the capabilities of the handicap.

Well would'nt you know it, as soon as I turn the corner, there he is sprawled on the ground face down with people around him trying to help him up. Apparently he had not learned that plates of steel on the ground are very slippery in wet weather.

I think he broke his only good arm. I wish I had told him to take it easy.
heather stratton said:
I listen to music when I ride, but it's really just background noise enough to drown out the sounds of the cars. I

So you drown out the best way to know if a car is approaching you from behind?

And help make it hard for other cyclists to let you know they are passing you?

GO SAFETY!
I forgot a winter favorite I see from time to time; no hands, hands in jacket pockets.

Genius.
I use the tempo of my music to determine my speed. Someday I will make a lovely stain.
Rocking out while riding your trike, right? Or is it a quad?

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
I use the tempo of my music to determine my speed. Someday I will make a lovely stain.
There's no way to say this without sounding like an ass, but it's more likely that I'm passing someone than that they're passing me. I know riding with headphones is controversial for many reasons, but I prefer it. I don't keep the volume high enough that it could drown out the immediate environment. I've found that it's more safe for me to look behind to see who is approaching-- seriously, I check every 5 seconds or so. I don't feel that listening for traffic is a very effective way to know if I'm in danger. Hearing a car behind me doesn't tell me how close the motorist is to me, and getting hit from behind is so unlikely that I'm not inclined to change my behavior in order to anticipate it or worry about it.

notoriousDUG said:
heather stratton said:
I listen to music when I ride, but it's really just background noise enough to drown out the sounds of the cars. I

GO SAFETY!
What about hearing how close or what direction a siren is coming from that's not in your "immediate environment"?

heather stratton said:
There's no way to say this without sounding like an ass, but it's more likely that I'm passing someone than that they're passing me. I know riding with headphones is controversial for many reasons, but I prefer it. I don't keep the volume high enough that it could drown out the immediate environment. I've found that it's more safe for me to look behind to see who is approaching-- seriously, I check every 5 seconds or so. I don't feel that listening for traffic is a very effective way to know if I'm in danger. Hearing a car behind me doesn't tell me how close the motorist is to me, and getting hit from behind is so unlikely that I'm not inclined to change my behavior in order to anticipate it or worry about it.

notoriousDUG said:
heather stratton said:

GO SAFETY!
Ha, if I started this thread I would be on a nailed on the cross .... One thing I will say, I am one of the most courteous, aware and safe minded bikers (minus the helmet) out on the streets of Chicago. I give the right away, I always try my best to stay off the sidewalk if I see anyone and I pay close attention to everything. I have kicked my obnoxious drinking habit to a tolerable level as well. I do refrain most of the time from saying anything, but if I am inspired I almost always do the same two things. Either, I tell the person they are going to be in the hospital sometime soon or If someone is really being a hazard I give them the bird and try to add in some sort or swear word or facial expression to drive my meaning home but that is very rare. That's my best for tonight folks...
A car can be on top of you in 5 seconds.

A pot hole can show up and cause you to swerve in 2 seconds and if you fail to shoulder check you're done for.

If a door opens wouldn't you like to know if you are about to be overtaken by a car?

As a motorcyclist as well as a bicyclist I can not imagine riding with music blaring in my ears because sound is the number one way I tell what is happening around me.

heather stratton said:

notoriousDUG said:
heather stratton said:

GO SAFETY!
Dug, you would be surprised what you can hear when you have music playing. The layers of complexity our brains are capable of monitoring is staggering.
Not true.

You can only pay attention to one thing at once. Those of you who think you are amazing multi-taskers and really can do two things are once are actually flipping rapidly, or not so rapidly between the two giving neither your full attention.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Dug, you would be surprised what you can hear when you have music playing. The layers of complexity our brains are capable of monitoring is staggering.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service