The Chainlink

seeking a route of 100 miles of scenic road biking, starting and ending in Evanston

I'd like to do a century, since I've not done it before, and wondered what might be a good route, or links to check out, or maps online somewhere.  I'd like to start and end in Evanston, and avoid as much traffic as possible, trails are welcome

thanks

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you considered the north shore century route? I can't find it posted online (I tried finding the links here) but I can scan my cue sheet if you're interested.

Starts in Evanston, goes up to Kenosha, and tracks back along the lake. It's probably one of my favorite routes.

Yes please! thanks

Green Bay/McClory Trail to Russel Rd. to Des Plaines Trail to North Shore Path to Skokie Valley Trail to Lake Cook Rd to North Branch Trail.

+1 for the North Shore Century Route

This is entirely possible, though I've never considered it.

I will say though - after riding on Sheridan exclusively past the Great Lakes Naval center this past Saturday, I'll never take that section of the McClory trail again. I was expecting craziness and lots of bad drivers to buzz me, but surprisingly people were giving me lots of room (except for near the Piggly Wiggly on the border, people were driving like animals by that minimall.) It was a much better alternative to being on a gravel path in the hood.

Or, my perception has become skewed due to me being unnecessarily OK with being on busy 4 lane roads with cars. That would be bad.

envane (69 furlongs) said:

Green Bay/McClory Trail to Russel Rd. to Des Plaines Trail to North Shore Path to Skokie Valley Trail to Lake Cook Rd to North Branch Trail.

Attachments:

four different century routes from the EBC cue sheet library. You can mix and match with the suggestions you are getting on the board.

Attachments:

here is my garmin from last year's NSC 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380177932

How far north do you stay on Sheridan before going back to the trail?  I'm not a fan of that section either, mainly due to the frequent street crossings (and occasional harassment from the residents)

Lanterne Rouge said:

I will say though - after riding on Sheridan exclusively past the Great Lakes Naval center this past Saturday, I'll never take that section of the McClory trail again. I was expecting craziness and lots of bad drivers to buzz me, but surprisingly people were giving me lots of room (except for near the Piggly Wiggly on the border, people were driving like animals by that minimall.) It was a much better alternative to being on a gravel path in the hood.

Jeff, at that point, I don't get back on the trail at all. I suppose if you simply want to avoid the hood, you could stay on Sheridan until Wadsworth Rd. (cut left, west at that point.) and get back on the trail a few blocks later. At that point in the trail, you're just riding in between people's nice(ish) suburban back yards.

If you live in or near Evanston, join the Evanston Bike Club for some great year round riding. Check out evanstonbikeclub.org for more info.

I found a link to the North Shore Century route here:  http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/10382212/

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service