The Chainlink

9/20/12 Damen from Division to Jackson is "Rough Grooved Surface." Plan accordingly.

Views: 11118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone noticed that the city is cramming in a lot of sewer and water main replacements before the winter season starts? Here is what I found in the last few days. Road surface may change from day-to-day:

- Southport from Lincoln to Diversey, east side of street. Looks like it will be repaved any day now

- Wells from North all to Chicago, east side of street.

- Barry, Clark and Halsted, throughout the intersection.

- Lawrence from Clark to west of Damen, northside of street. Work just started. May take a while

Good to see that my raised water bills lead to more infrastructure replacements.

In the last few years, I've noticed a trend towards an increased number of all sorts of road/utility construction projects as late as possible in the season - from late August until serious snow.  This has made life hell in the fall, especially when they do multiple projects in the same area.  I'm guessing I'm not the only one wishing that they'd do some of these repaving projects in the spring/early summer, so that summer traffic would flow more smoothly.

My guess is a lot of this resurfacing is the result of utility projects where all the actual underground utility work happens in the spring/summer.  Chicago has only a 7 mo construction season, so resurfacing by default has to happen all at once in the fall as the utility projects wrap up.

Anne Alt said:

In the last few years, I've noticed a trend towards an increased number of all sorts of road/utility construction projects as late as possible in the season - from late August until serious snow.  This has made life hell in the fall, especially when they do multiple projects in the same area.  I'm guessing I'm not the only one wishing that they'd do some of these repaving projects in the spring/early summer, so that summer traffic would flow more smoothly.

BTW, the problem with Foster is that it's heavily increasing traffic on Damen north of Foster & on Bryn Mawr from Damen/Rosehill to Ashland and/or Clark. Buses are being rerouted there, and spillover traffic is taking Berwyn east. Usually, that's a quiet ride, but not lately, so be aware.

11/28/12 Damen from Roscoe to Cornelia is rough grooved pavement. Damen seems to be getting quite a bit of attention on a number of segments. 

If only it would get some attention between Armitage and North!

Kevin C said:

11/28/12 Damen from Roscoe to Cornelia is rough grooved pavement. Damen seems to be getting quite a bit of attention on a number of segments. 

I made a lovely discovery last week.  The Harrison St. bridge is finally done - fully reopened to traffic.  Yeah!!!!  My best connection between LaSalle St. station and points SW has been restored.

And between Belmont and Diversey.  Northbound is especially bad

Lisa Curcio said:

If only it would get some attention between Armitage and North!

Kevin C said:

There is a completely new layer of asphalt on westbound Hubbard between Aberdeen and Elizabeth.  No idea why they did not go all the way to Ogden, but it sure was nice not having to dodge the potholes on the way home.  Maybe tomorrow they will do the eastbound side ;-).

Does anyone have info about what's planned for the large surface parking lot at the SW corner of Clark and Polk?  There's been a major utility project along the south edge of this site for a while.  This week I've seen construction fencing going up around the parking lot, which is now empty.  Any clues?

398 Apartments in two 11-story towers.

Anne Alt said:

Does anyone have info about what's planned for the large surface parking lot at the SW corner of Clark and Polk?  There's been a major utility project along the south edge of this site for a while.  This week I've seen construction fencing going up around the parking lot, which is now empty.  Any clues?

Thanks for the info.  Seems like an appropriate development for this location.  It's too bad that this section Clark St. (Polk to 16th) was turned into such a bike UNfriendly configuration when the Roosevelt intersection was revised several years ago.  At least these new buildings will have good bike connections to points north and east.

I wonder what the farmers market vendors who have been parking in this now-closed surface lot will do next year.

Kevin C said:

398 Apartments in two 11-story towers.

Anne Alt said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service