The Chainlink

So, with the weather (hopefully) turning nice pretty soon I wanted to feel out if there would be anyone wanting to join up with a ride into Milwaukee.

Last time I did this it was in a freaking blizzard, but the route is pretty straightforward, and there's lots of really cool stuff to do in our neighbor to the north: palominos, art museums, cafes...

when: TBD but leave Chicago together early on a saturday, and take the amtrak back from milwaukee with our bikes in the PM (they charge you for a bike box to do this but it's not too bad)

ride will end at palominos but we can figure out some cool stuff to do after a deep fried meal before we bike to the amtrak station!

I say date TBD because it would have to be a relatively mild day (60s?) with hopefully not too bad of a headwind.

If you would be interested in joining up let me know. I treat these sorts of rides like roadtrips by bike so we would stop for food along the way and probably shoot for a somewhat decent speed (14-16 mph), but would take rest stops as needed. this would not be a "prove how fast you can finish a century" ride

I'm gonna ride it fixed gear this time and any other intrepid souls are encouraged to do the same!

Me in the middle of my last cold ride up there:

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ewwwww......

I'll just head over to Turin for some store-bought cream.

See ya tomorrow.

Chris said:
Quick note:

well, I promised my chamois cream recipe (ripped off from Keith Bontrager) and here it is:

buy a tub of vaseline. stir in one tube of neosporin and one tube of anti boil cream.

Then slather generously on your chamois (3 fingers worth) before you put it on. If your saddle aint shining after an hour or so of riding you didn't use enough. See y'all tomorrow!
BREWERY TOUR INFO:

Jut got off the phone with Specher, all Saturday tours are full. :(
Major bummer!

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
BREWERY TOUR INFO:

Jut got off the phone with Specher, all Saturday tours are full. :(

Couldn't have been a better group, or a better ride!
we were pretty regularly hitting 23/24 mph, the sun was shining...the pavement stretched ahead for miles and miles.

Some highlights of the trip (from my perspective):

1. our group rolled fast and looked like a bunch of rag tag kids out for mischief. we had some road bikes, a single speeed cruiser with tall handlebars, a fixed gear, and some bikes loaded with panniers and touring gear.

2. I kept standing up in the saddle and exuberantly shouting "woo hoo I can SMELL the fried pickles boys!!", which made me look crazy because I don't think anyone in our group knew these were a real food served at the bar that was our destination.

Despite a member of our group getting ill, and a cell phone which was eaten alive by a cold stone creamery in sturtevant, WI, flawless ride.

It was a Marble Slab/Subway that tried to eat my phone. (It's at the Citgo on Rt32 on its way back now.)

And it was a kickass ride despite the phone and sunburn.

Looking forward to making reservations for a Specher tour for Milwaukee 2.0.

Chris said:

Despite a member of our group getting ill, and a cell phone which was eaten alive by a cold stone creamery in sturtevant, WI, flawless ride.

Way to go guys! Can't wait to go on the summer brew city beer run with y'all.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
It was a Marble Slab/Subway that tried to eat my phone. (It's at the Citgo on Rt32 on its way back now.)

And it was a kickass ride despite the phone and sunburn.

Looking forward to making reservations for a Specher tour for Milwaukee 2.0.

Chris said:

Great photos Chris! Thanks for putting this all together and handling the drama quite smoothly. Those long open stretches of road have got me thinking of a faster bicycle to bring next time.

Chris said:

Couldn't have been a better group, or a better ride!
we were pretty regularly hitting 23/24 mph, the sun was shining...the pavement stretched ahead for miles and miles.

Some highlights of the trip (from my perspective):

1. our group rolled fast and looked like a bunch of rag tag kids out for mischief. we had some road bikes, a single speeed cruiser with tall handlebars, a fixed gear, and some bikes loaded with panniers and touring gear.

2. I kept standing up in the saddle and exuberantly shouting "woo hoo I can SMELL the fried pickles boys!!", which made me look crazy because I don't think anyone in our group knew these were a real food served at the bar that was our destination.

HaHa, John you were on the most outlandish bicycle there and still keeping pace like crazy!

Yeah I'm thinking in 2.0 I might see if a small group would wanna try to ride super light and fast and see if we could get up to MKE in 4.5 hours. Our pace was killer sat!
Seconded. Thanks for putting up with my dumb ass losing my phone, pace-changes, etc.

And John, a faster bike? Why do that? :)

John Dominguez said:
Great photos Chris! Thanks for putting this all together and handling the drama quite smoothly. Those long open stretches of road have got me thinking of a faster bicycle to bring next time.

How were the road conditions? Any major construction?
Aside from expansion joints (the straight cuts in the road) about every 40 feet on County Road H, the road were quite good. Especially Sheridan up around Waukegan where it's new blacktop and is sooooooooo smooth!

We also hit a few trails which were pretty good. The Green Bay Trail needs some work, but the trail we were on north of Highland Park (Waukegan?) was excellent.

We could have just taken Sheridan/Rt32 up all the way, but we decided as a group to combine the routes. I'm not sure if the straight Sheridan route would've been better, but it definitely would have had more traffic.

If you regularly ride in the city with all its potholes and such, you would've loved the route we took.

allison said:
How were the road conditions? Any major construction?
Did you get your phone back? That really sucked, I'd bet.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Seconded. Thanks for putting up with my dumb ass losing my phone, pace-changes, etc.

And John, a faster bike? Why do that? :)

John Dominguez said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service