The Chainlink

Wondering about your thoughts on this sentiment/admonition I've gotten for years from my non-riding friends and colleagues. I want to think most of them are trying to be nice, but the implication is that either they perceive cycling as unsafe, or that I won't "ride safe" unless they tell me to, or that cycling is this dangerous thing, when, in fact, driving puts them at a higher risk (I mean, no one really says "Drive safe!" as a parting greeting...). The other idea is that maybe it's a good thing, that they are acknowledging that I get around in a different way than they do. And, maybe it's nothing, but it strikes me as odd sometimes. 

Views: 2576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good choice!

Lisa Curcio said:

How about just "Let's be careful out there"?  Here's a link for those who might be of a generation to not get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

+1

Lisa Curcio said:

How about just "Let's be careful out there"?  Here's a link for those who might be of a generation to not get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

My wife says "be careful" every morning when I kiss her goodbye.
I like that.
If she were asking "are you sure your life insurance is up to date" I would be concerned.

When my wife leaves in the morning I often say, "Have fun storming the castle!" as I wave goodbye, just before closing the door. 

in it to win it said:

My wife says "be careful" every morning when I kiss her goodbye.
I like that.
If she were asking "are you sure your life insurance is up to date" I would be concerned.

When driving commercially, I learned to never say, "Drive safely." After all, a company would never want to suggest its drivers would not drive safely. (Radios can be overheard by passengers).

On the other hand, we would wish drivers to, "Have a safe trip," which is no different from "Have a good day."

In my experience, few people understand (or notice) the semantic difference. :-/

-jbn

Motorcycle riders will occasionally say, "Shiny side up!" Same sentiment: recognition that there are hazards out there and concern for a fellow rider. It's a community thing, and akin to a little prayer, maybe.

We often say, "Keep the Rubber side down."

Dave Jacque said:

Motorcycle riders will occasionally say, "Shiny side up!" Same sentiment: recognition that there are hazards out there and concern for a fellow rider. It's a community thing, and akin to a little prayer, maybe.

This. To the OP, stop taking these sayings personally. It's just a phrase used to wish someone a safe travel – whether it be by bike, car, aeroplane, boat, etc.

Cameron Puetz said:

I've heard (and said) "drive safe" as often as I've heard "ride safe" almost always with safe tone and sentiment. I've also used "safe travels" for people leaving on a plane or train, where their safety is almost entirely out of their hands. I've never seen any of these statements as anything more than a simple send off and wishes for a good trip.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service