Ready, set . . . OVERREACT!!!!! (Chicagoist on alleged cyclist reaction to goofball Mel)

Old thread:

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/tca-alderman-crabbing-abou...

Chicagoist crabbing about the whole deal:

http://chicagoist.com/2011/10/31/bicyclists_overreact_to_dick_mells...

What say we get together and plan an over-reaction to this article?

Views: 412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

h':  Rather than overreact (again), is it ok if I just hyperventilate and turn red in the face a little?

I've found the attached link to be a tremendous time saver.

Put the name in, designate the number of paragraphs desired, and press the "complain" button:

My complaint about Alderman Richard Mell

I've reached a point where I feel the need to express my disappointment with Alderman Richard Mell. First and foremost, people used to think I was exaggerating whenever I said that Alderman Mell will stop at nothing to get his way. After seeing Alderman Mell lay waste to the environment these same people now realize that I wasn't exaggerating at all. In fact, they even realize that in a recent tell-all, a former member of Alderman Mell's crime syndicate writes that "Alderman Mell functions not as a social critic but as an unoriginal imitator of the ruling ideologues". Those are some pretty harsh words even when one considers that Alderman Mell's inability to fathom what I am talking about is betrayed by his insistence that my bitterness at him is merely the latent projection of libidinal energy stemming from self-induced anguish. I always catch hell whenever I say something like that so let me assure you that I certainly hope that the truth will prevail and that justice will be served before Alderman Mell does any real damage. Or is it already too late? In other words, where is Alderman Mell's integrity? My best guess, for what it may be worth, is based on two key observations. The first observation is that we can see the damage that is done when Alderman Mell tries to don the mantel of denominationalism and spew forth ignorance and prejudice. The second, more telling, observation is that Alderman Mell avers that free speech is wonderful as long as you're not bashing him and the dangerous devotees of conspiracy theories in his lynch mob. As you can no doubt determine from comments like that, facts and Richard Mell are like oil and water.

Most of you reading this letter have your hearts in the right place. Now follow your hearts with actions. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if Alderman Mell kicks us in the teeth we'll then lick his toes and beg for another kick. Admittedly, that's about as likely as Elvis materializing in my room tonight and singing Heartbreak Hotel. Still, the possibility does help one realize that some people apparently believe that if we don't bother Alderman Mell, Alderman Mell won't bother us. The fallacy of that belief is that our desires and his are not merely different; they are opposed in mortal enmity. Alderman Mell wants to start wars, ruin the environment, invent diseases, and routinely do a hundred other things that kill people. We, in contrast, want to alert people that when I was younger I wanted to bring him down a peg. I still want to do that, but now I realize that he wants me to stop trying to examine the social and cultural conditions that lead him to bombard us with an endless array of hate literature. Instead, he'd rather I walk around with a mountain of pain and suffering welled up inside me. Sorry, but I don't accept defeat that easily.

I have a message for Alderman Mell. My message is that, for the good of us all, he should never overthrow all concepts of beauty and sublimity, of the noble and the good, and instead drag people down into the sphere of his own base nature. He should never even try to do such a dastardly thing. To make myself perfectly clear, by "never" I don't mean "maybe", "sometimes", or "it depends". I mean only that Alderman Mell is intellectually dishonest in everything he says and does. (Yes, separatism appears to have triumphed, but that's an entirely different story.) I would like to end on a heartfelt note. Alderman Richard Mell's adherents avouch that the masses are illiberal and unfit for citizenship.

Nice Kevin!  Your complaint generator just came up with:

"I sincerely hope that the material I'm about to present will open some eyes and minds. The following paragraphs are intended as an initial, open-ended sketch of how bad the current situation is. Alderman Dick Mell acts as if he were King of the World. This hauteur is astonishing, staggering, and mind-boggling.

"Dick always demands instant gratification. That's all that is of concern to him; nothing else matters—except maybe to undermine the individualistic underpinnings of traditional jurisprudence. I tell you this because mass anxiety is the equivalent of steroids for Dick. If we feel helpless, Dick is energized and ramps up his efforts to eliminate those law-enforcement officers who constitute the vital protective bulwark in the fragile balance between anarchy and tyranny.

"Dick is being a dastardly chucklehead just for the sake of being a dastardly chucklehead, by which I mean that of all of Dick's exaggerations and incorrect comparisons, one in particular stands out: "Governments should have the right to lie to their own subjects or to other governments." I don't know where he came up with this, but his statement is dead wrong. Dick must sense his own irremediable inferiority. That's why he is so desperate to demonstrate an outright hostility to law enforcement; it's the only way for him to distinguish himself from the herd. It would be a lot nicer, however, if Dick also realized that he extricates himself from difficulty by intrigue, by chicanery, by dissimulation, by trimming, by an untruth, by an injustice. If we don't investigate the development of conformism as a concept, our children will curse us in our graves. Speaking of our children, we need to teach them diligently that there is one crucial fact that we must not overlook if we are to perceive our current situation as it is, rather than in the anamorphosis of some "ideology" such as mysticism or autism. Specifically, Dick has announced his intentions to interfere with my efforts to operate on today's real—not tomorrow's ideal—political terrain. While doing so may earn Dick a gold star from the mush-for-brains deconstructionism crowd, he is inherently dirty, ghastly, and odious. Oh, and he also has a longiloquent mode of existence. Now for some parting advice: Look at the facts. Analyze the arguments. Think about the motives of the people who are telling you that an open party with unlimited access to alcohol can't possibly outgrow the host's ability to manage the crowd. And have confidence in yourself. Remember, Alderman Dick Mell fits the stereotypical image of an infernal nettlesome-type."

This complaint generator opens grand new worlds for me.

That's a pretty irresponsible headline for the article. It'd be cool if anyone pretended to do anything like journalism without having to saturate it with their own goofy editorializing
Don't sugar coat it, Kevin.  Say what you really feel!  ;)

Kevin C said:

I've found the attached link to be a tremendous time saver.

Put the name in, designate the number of paragraphs desired, and press the "complain" button:

My complaint about Alderman Richard Mell

I've reached a point where I feel the need to express my disappointment with Alderman Richard Mell. First and foremost, people used to think I was exaggerating whenever I said that Alderman Mell will stop at nothing to get his way. After seeing Alderman Mell lay waste to the environment these same people now realize that I wasn't exaggerating at all. In fact, they even realize that in a recent tell-all, a former member of Alderman Mell's crime syndicate writes that "Alderman Mell functions not as a social critic but as an unoriginal imitator of the ruling ideologues". Those are some pretty harsh words even when one considers that Alderman Mell's inability to fathom what I am talking about is betrayed by his insistence that my bitterness at him is merely the latent projection of libidinal energy stemming from self-induced anguish. I always catch hell whenever I say something like that so let me assure you that I certainly hope that the truth will prevail and that justice will be served before Alderman Mell does any real damage. Or is it already too late? In other words, where is Alderman Mell's integrity? My best guess, for what it may be worth, is based on two key observations. The first observation is that we can see the damage that is done when Alderman Mell tries to don the mantel of denominationalism and spew forth ignorance and prejudice. The second, more telling, observation is that Alderman Mell avers that free speech is wonderful as long as you're not bashing him and the dangerous devotees of conspiracy theories in his lynch mob. As you can no doubt determine from comments like that, facts and Richard Mell are like oil and water.

Most of you reading this letter have your hearts in the right place. Now follow your hearts with actions. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if Alderman Mell kicks us in the teeth we'll then lick his toes and beg for another kick. Admittedly, that's about as likely as Elvis materializing in my room tonight and singing Heartbreak Hotel. Still, the possibility does help one realize that some people apparently believe that if we don't bother Alderman Mell, Alderman Mell won't bother us. The fallacy of that belief is that our desires and his are not merely different; they are opposed in mortal enmity. Alderman Mell wants to start wars, ruin the environment, invent diseases, and routinely do a hundred other things that kill people. We, in contrast, want to alert people that when I was younger I wanted to bring him down a peg. I still want to do that, but now I realize that he wants me to stop trying to examine the social and cultural conditions that lead him to bombard us with an endless array of hate literature. Instead, he'd rather I walk around with a mountain of pain and suffering welled up inside me. Sorry, but I don't accept defeat that easily.

I have a message for Alderman Mell. My message is that, for the good of us all, he should never overthrow all concepts of beauty and sublimity, of the noble and the good, and instead drag people down into the sphere of his own base nature. He should never even try to do such a dastardly thing. To make myself perfectly clear, by "never" I don't mean "maybe", "sometimes", or "it depends". I mean only that Alderman Mell is intellectually dishonest in everything he says and does. (Yes, separatism appears to have triumphed, but that's an entirely different story.) I would like to end on a heartfelt note. Alderman Richard Mell's adherents avouch that the masses are illiberal and unfit for citizenship.

I hope the Alderman is riding a fixie, because he's backpedalling about as fast as he can!
What do you mean?

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:
I hope the Alderman is riding a fixie, because he's backpedalling about as fast as he can!

Unless you ride a fixie, backpedaling does get you nowhere.

Thinking about it, he could be riding a unicycle as well...

Steven Vance said:

What do you mean?

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service