The Chainlink

Physically/Mentally Impaired Driving (was "Outsourcing Self Control")

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101229/D9KDR3D80.html

Fair amount of content relating to use of technology to limit dangerous behavior behind the wheel.  Excerpt:

Another app, Slow Down, alters the tempo of your music, depending on your driving speed, on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Using GPS, the music
slows if a preset speed limit is exceeded and stops completely if you're
over the limit by more than 10 mph. You can have your tunes back when
you slow down.

Views: 376

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

iggi. i'm a fascist and a troll. :-)

taking away from the handicapped has also been labeled as evil. that's kinda fun as it means safer traffic. so giving people a safer street is evil. yay!

if we dont agree that driving is difficult and is not a right than the rest of the debate is out the window.

cta and pace must by law serve the handicapped. no one has asked people to live in an attic.

instead they r being asked to recognize personal limitations. something no one in modern society has to do apparently.

It's also about having extra space to get out if you're using crutches or a cane, which can be difficult in a regular parking space.  At a few points in my life, I've dealt with a long recovery from injury and had a temporary handicapped placard.  For the folks who legitimately need those placards or license plates, being able to get a close parking space often makes the difference between having everyday errands be physically possible and having them be too exhausting and/or painful to be done at all

James Baum said:

It's about getting the damn chair out the side of the freaking vehicle dude -not about physically getting the vehicle in the space...

Gabe said:

My fav is that handicap drivers get a HUGE ass place to park the car. Parking is the easiest aspect of driving.

i am not advocating against ADA parking just offering a devils advocate approach...

making an allowance for the ADA parking spot takes away from the common person trying to park, and all too often those 50 ft of spaces which could accommodate 4 vehicles instead of the two it is reserved for sit vacant. in theory and practice, something is being taken away from the able person, almost penalized. thats fair?

Anne Alt said:

It's also about having extra space to get out if you're using crutches or a cane, which can be difficult in a regular parking space.  At a few points in my life, I've dealt with a long recovery from injury and had a temporary handicapped placard.  For the folks who legitimately need those placards or license plates, being able to get a close parking space often makes the difference between having everyday errands be physically possible and having them be too exhausting and/or painful to be done at all

James Baum said:

It's about getting the damn chair out the side of the freaking vehicle dude -not about physically getting the vehicle in the space...

Gabe said:

My fav is that handicap drivers get a HUGE ass place to park the car. Parking is the easiest aspect of driving.

The right of the American people to move around and travel within their own country at will is pretty plainly stated by the Founders.  If you don't think that this right transfers to private vehicles, regardless of how they are powered -by horse or by engine, then you are wrong.

Driving a team of horses and a carriage is about 10x as dangerous as a modern motor vehicle for everyone involved (drivers, passengers, and pedestrians) and historical records will bear this out (please don't go all wikipedia on me and demand a citation as I'm not your teacher or being paid to do research for you -if you don't believe this then look it up yourself)  Even so, the Founders would have been shocked if anyone suggested that driving a team was not a "right" but instead somehow a "privilage."

I hear this BS about X being a privilige and not a right all the time -often when it comes to the new so-called war on terror (war on Freedoms if you ask me) related to flying.  I have heard so many people say that "flying is a privilege and not a right" on the news and in private conversations.  Flying is the modern equivilant of taking a ship across the ocean.  If one were to tell the Founders that taking a ship from point A to point B was a "privilege" and not a right they probably would have been slapped in the face.

Yeah, driving is dangerous.  The world is FULL of dangerous things that people do every day and accept the fact that they are somewhat dangerous.  The alternative is a world where the nanny-state mandates every corner be padded, everyone wear a helmet 24/7 and anything with the slightest bit of risk be banned.

Let me tell you right now that the world would be a LOT safer place if bicycles were banned.  They ARE dangerous.  Go too far down that slippery slope and you'll find that a push to take all dangerous things out of our lives will not only make us less free but will evnetually get around to banning something YOU love and take for granted.

Go ahead and take away someone else's right to freely travel and be mobile because you think that the world would be 1% safer.  You may say that nobody is forcing them to stay in the attic -but what the F else are they supposed to do if they don't have access to public transportation or other alternatives.  The whole country isn't Chicago with the L and a halfway-decent bus system and Metra. Move out to rural IL or even WI and tell me that taking a car away from someone (who might be missing a leg or an arm because they were off fighting an immoral and illegal land war in Asia) just because it'll make the roads 1% safer is not a big deal.

Go ahead and continue with the position that the handicapped should have their RIGHT to travel freely in their own country -but you sound stupid doing so and make all bicycle riders look like a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth anti car nutcases and doesn't do us any good when joe average hears it.

Gabe said:

taking away from the handicapped has also been labeled as evil. that's kinda fun as it means safer traffic. so giving people a safer street is evil. yay!

if we dont agree that driving is difficult and is not a right than the rest of the debate is out the window.

cta and pace must by law serve the handicapped. no one has asked people to live in an attic.

instead they r being asked to recognize personal limitations. something no one in modern society has to do apparently.

I'm wondering why you are targetting driving with physical limb restrictions.  Accident and citation rates for this group are not any greater than the rest of population. 

I am personally much more concerned with people who are allowed to continue driving after multiple DUI convictions or drivers who repeatedly cause accidents due to carelessness. 

Driving is difficult and I do think that it should driving privliges should be more difficult to get and maintain, but that doesn't mean groups should be excluded on the basis of opinion.
Gabe said:

with some quick research, there apparently is a bit of a movement to clarify the notion of driving as a priviledge or right...

"Personal liberty, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable." 16 C.J.S., Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.

This concept is further amplified by the definition of personal liberty:

"Personal liberty largely consists of the Right of locomotion -- to go where and when one pleases -- only so far restrained as the Rights of others may make it necessary for the welfare of all other citizens. The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, by horsedrawn carriage, wagon, or automobile, is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited at will, but the common Right which he has under his Right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under this Constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his inclination along the public highways or in public places, and while conducting himself in an orderly and decent manner, neither interfering with nor disturbing another's Rights, he will be protected, not only in his person, but in his safe conduct." [emphasis added] II Am.Jur. (1st) Constitutional Law, Sect.329, p.1135.

James Baum said:

The right of the American people to move around and travel within their own country at will is pretty plainly stated by the Founders.  If you don't think that this right transfers to private vehicles, regardless of how they are powered -by horse or by engine, then you are wrong.

Driving a team of horses and a carriage is about 10x as dangerous as a modern motor vehicle for everyone involved (drivers, passengers, and pedestrians) and historical records will bear this out (please don't go all wikipedia on me and demand a citation as I'm not your teacher or being paid to do research for you -if you don't believe this then look it up yourself)  Even so, the Founders would have been shocked if anyone suggested that driving a team was not a "right" but instead somehow a "privilage."

I hear this BS about X being a privilige and not a right all the time -often when it comes to the new so-called war on terror (war on Freedoms if you ask me) related to flying.  I have heard so many people say that "flying is a privilege and not a right" on the news and in private conversations.  Flying is the modern equivilant of taking a ship across the ocean.  If one were to tell the Founders that taking a ship from point A to point B was a "privilege" and not a right they probably would have been slapped in the face.

Yeah, driving is dangerous.  The world is FULL of dangerous things that people do every day and accept the fact that they are somewhat dangerous.  The alternative is a world where the nanny-state mandates every corner be padded, everyone wear a helmet 24/7 and anything with the slightest bit of risk be banned.

Let me tell you right now that the world would be a LOT safer place if bicycles were banned.  They ARE dangerous.  Go too far down that slippery slope and you'll find that a push to take all dangerous things out of our lives will not only make us less free but will evnetually get around to banning something YOU love and take for granted.

Go ahead and take away someone else's right to freely travel and be mobile because you think that the world would be 1% safer.  You may say that nobody is forcing them to stay in the attic -but what the F else are they supposed to do if they don't have access to public transportation or other alternatives.  The whole country isn't Chicago with the L and a halfway-decent bus system and Metra. Move out to rural IL or even WI and tell me that taking a car away from someone (who might be missing a leg or an arm because they were off fighting an immoral and illegal land war in Asia) just because it'll make the roads 1% safer is not a big deal.

Go ahead and continue with the position that the handicapped should have their RIGHT to travel freely in their own country -but you sound stupid doing so and make all bicycle riders look like a bunch of foaming-at-the-mouth anti car nutcases and doesn't do us any good when joe average hears it.

Gabe said:

Gabe, I am not a medical professional and I am assuming you are not either on the basis that any respectable medical professional would not state that “x” should be not be done without having a thorough knowledge of someone’s medical history. 

Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion, but I will go with the professionals in regards to my mother.  She was treated by both regional and national (if not worldwide) experts in her disease state from Northwestern and Johns Hopkins.  You still don’t know why she tires and what affect that would or would not have on her muscles and reflexes.  Yet you continue to say that it is wrong, even though you are not a medical professional with any real knowledge other than what limited information I have provided here.

Gabe said:

See Milesper, You entered this with the wrong assumption to begin with. You thought I didn't understand the reason for a handicap spot being larger. I really don't care. Really.

And your rationale is AMAZING! How does ones ability to walk affect there ability to drive? Muscles. How do reflexes play into this? Your reflexes are tied to the fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fiber that for the example of your mother is going to be more easily tired than than those on a normally functioning person. Nothing magical happens when you get into a car that makes your muscles suddenly rested and better. Your muscles are now tired and operating a 2 ton vehicle. Seems like a great plan. This also addresses your being baffled at the 15 foot walking rule. I don't care if your fat or impaired. If you get tired from a miniscule amount of exertion you DON't get to drive. I don't have ill conceived anything. I'm using common sense and you are ignoring it to suit yourself.

And I DO NOT care that i wouldn't be able to tell whether your mom is able or not based on my assessment visually. We shouldn't lower standards on the ability to drive based on your mom's need for accommodation. We shouldn't accommodate people in this regard. A physical impairment means you can't drive. Done.

And yeah, yeah, i get it cause you've said it twice. A car can be modified to fit your needs. Shouldn't be done.

Driving is NOT a right. You want to continue to treat it as such cause your mom was sick but that doesn't make the argument correct.

Sorry for the delay, that joyous work thing happens.

Iggi, great job on the research! ;-) However, local municipalities make the laws that govern driving more than federal. Based on the constitution we wouldn't need a drivers license, or need to follow speed limits, etc...Would be a fun chat with the cop though. "No Officer I only follow the constitution in regards to travelling laws." Which brings me to James. Flying is not a right. It is a choice. You can choose to take the train across the country and not have to get groped or have to go threw a full body scanner. If you wanna take the big boat to china do so. And you'll never see a TSA agent.

It's a fairly simple thing I've laid out. Driving should be done by the most physically capable. I don't see how that is a suspect statement? If driving by itself is dangerous (we're in agreement there I see) than why should we make it more so by allowing people with impairments to operate a 2 ton death machine? And i got a good laugh about bikes being dangerous. Really? When 2 bikes collide i think the odds of death are slightly lower than when 2 cars collide but i may be wrong.

And Milesper, Nope no doc here. But based on what you've told me I don't need to know more. The docs you are subscribing to are part of the same "everyone has a right to drive" culture. They don't have the right to drive. And if your mom gets tired from walking....oh wait i spelled that out already.

And Liz you are right, idiots keep getting dui's and are allowed to drive. But if we talk to Milesper and James it's cause they have the right too.

This brings everything back to the original topic. Technology. We are now creating technology to control the car for the driver because the driver can't be trusted to do so by his or herself? That seems like a band-aid on a hemorrhaging wound.

Ya know what's fun. We aren't far from the car that will drive itself for the handicapped person.

Oh and James, as Iggi or anyone else i ride with will tell you. Above all, I hate rural anything. If you are in Po-dunk nowhere that's your problem. Upside for the rest of us a bad driver there can drive off a bridge and not bother anyone. ;-)

Here's a doc that doesn't subscribe to that alleged culture:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Dr.+Michelle+Gittler

She'll write in patient's charts and on their discharge papers that they're not safe to drive.

She bike-commutes most of the time from her home on the north side to the near west side.

For shorter trips between hospitals she ties up her skirt.

(She's one of the best physiatrists, too.)

Thank you for that information Howard.   

H3N3 said:

She'll write in patient's charts and on their discharge papers that they're not safe to drive.

Sure, should i just post links to the rest of the docs that do subscribe? ;-)
I wish there were more docs like her.

H3N3 said:

She bike-commutes most of the time from her home on the north side to the near west side.

For shorter trips between hospitals she ties up her skirt.

(She's one of the best physiatrists, too.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service