The Chainlink

Thanks everyone for making my FIRST century a great one and thanks John for the super ride!

I was about 75% sure that I was going to be able to make it, and 100% sure it wouldn't be due to overall physical exhaustion... I was thinking, if anything, it would be something mechanical or it would be a cramp in my thumb or a cramp in my shoulder, or something like that. Luckily, no such thing happened and we were able to enjoy pretty much the whole thing.

Maybe it's just me having never ridden such a distance before, but I just can't believe that within one ride, I was all the eff down by the Skyway, and then later at the Leaning Tower YMCA. 

Everyone was so friendly and chatty and wanting to share their nourishment, encouragement and beer. I met so many lovely folks and hope to bump into them again. Friend me here on this thang!

David and I bailed at about North Ave Beach partly because the ride had become something like a mad dash to the Handlebar (which was going to close shortly), and partly because we figured that, according to Marion's odometer, if we stopped and turned around for home at that point, we'd make the 100miles we wanted. We did make approximately 103. 

The ride was a super experience for this largely inexperienced rider, and I WILL be doing it again. 

Next year for the 10 year anniversary, I want teeshirts! Remember John: David and I offered to throw those together for ya, if you don't have a better idea. 

Shared some super tasty cookies with the crew (well, EYE thought so :)), and here's the blog they're at:






Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trippy...

Ryan L said:
David606xx said:
I love Built to Spill--which song?

I wanted to use Strange from the Ancient Melodies of the Future album (which was painfully perfect) but alas, YouTube and Warner Bros Music is now analyzing the audio of our videos and will not allow me to use it. Oh well, life goes on. Grandaddy it is then:

awww that video! i'mma come back and watch this sometime in late february to remind myself of what the summers are like.
Exactly! That's beautiful :)

Marion said:
awww that video! i'mma come back and watch this sometime in late february to remind myself of what the summers are like.
Happening again this year?

I really hope so.

Pleasepleasepleeeeease!! :)

 

I contacted John Greenfield about this a few weeks ago.  He said to stay tuned to The Chainlink for the date.  So it sounds like it will definitely happen again once he can get the date down.  I'm looking forward to this ride as well.  It's my favorite ride of the year.  I've done it 3 times now, and it seems to have gotten better each year.
I'll be watching for the date and give the park district a heads up about sweeping the Major Taylor Trail for glass before the ride.
And we should alert Calumet Fisheries at 95th street about when we're going to be descending on them.

Anne Alt said:
I'll be watching for the date and give the park district a heads up about sweeping the Major Taylor Trail for glass before the ride.
Rainbow Cone might appreciate a heads up, too.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
And we should alert Calumet Fisheries at 95th street about when we're going to be descending on them.

Anne Alt said:
I'll be watching for the date and give the park district a heads up about sweeping the Major Taylor Trail for glass before the ride.
Haha, yes.  I just remember the Fisheries because we passed it on Saturday.

Anne Alt said:
Rainbow Cone might appreciate a heads up, too.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
And we should alert Calumet Fisheries at 95th street about when we're going to be descending on them.

Anne Alt said:
I'll be watching for the date and give the park district a heads up about sweeping the Major Taylor Trail for glass before the ride.

Another great ride around the City.  Thanks John.

Highlights - RAIN, Pool, Beer, Ice Cream, Superdog.

Yep, thanks to John and all the other Chainlinkers.

 

Rainbow Cone was a major highlight---had known about it shortly since moving here 5 years ago, but had never tried one.  Having done so, I now know how much more it is than just" an ice cream cone.  Can't wait to go back

 

However, favorite moment was in the 5600 block of S. Tripp when a 4-5 year-old girl crossed the street just as the group was approaching the intersection.  Everyone yelled out a warning and as the group moved around either side of her, she let out a very loud and unsolicited "DAAAAYUM!"  Super-cute.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service