Here's a good read on the possible future of the pedicabs here.

http://www.suntimes.com/20028624-761/proposed-pedicab-ordinance-dra...

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I certainly think they should have to post fares. These things always seem like such a rip off.

There's no way those things 'fit between cars' as that owner states.  Otherwise, if there are ample warning about setting a price before a trip I don't know if a displayed fare is needed.  How do the carriages that hang out by the water tower handle their rates?

Posted fares should be required.   Cabs don't always make the same money either.   A fare through sparse traffic at speed earns a lot more per minute than a fare into Wrigleyville before a Cub Game.  If Bicycle transportation wants to be treated seriously, it needs to operate on a proper business footing.  Now whether the charge should be per distance or minute, that's a different question.   Per minute has the advantage of being readily ascertainable, but penalizes the passenger for a slow pedicab driver or bad traffic.   Per distance penalizes a Pedicab driver for wind and for traffic and encourages dangerous behaviour at things such as lights.

Pedicab operators, I believe, prefer to negotiate fares. This lets the market decide the price, and is based on several factors that can't be posted, like the person's willingness to pay. 

Fares listed is probably necessary, but seatbelts? and congested areas are usually filled with cars not moving more than 10 mph anyway.

Banning them doesn't do anyone any good. If the city wants a cut of someone trying to make a buck then charge a yearly fee and let them pick up whoever,wherever it's a seasonal job and adds to the tourist factor of Chicago.

How about regulating the shitty vehicle cab drivers first.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service