My latest blog post: http://smontanaro.blogspot.com/2015/01/outrage.html

It appears to me that attorneys of local jurisdictions have too much incentive to plea bargain away state law in exchange for a few coins in their cities' coffers.

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So far a plea bargain has been avoided in the case of Sanhemel's killing of Bobby Cann.  Perhaps this is because of a petition sent to the State's Attorney:

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/no-plea-bargain-for-ryne?source=c....

This type of community action need to be taken and sent to local, county, and city attorneys to let them know that their actions are being watch and monitored by active local citizens.

(I seem to be chasing Bob around the 'net here. Just responded to his comment on the blog as well.)

Note that the petition has yet to garner enough signatures (5,662 vs the 7,500 threshold) for MoveOn.org to automatically sent it to Anita Alvarez' office. It's quite possible that she's mostly unaware of it at this point.

That said, I hope public pressure from the petition and the presence of cycling advocates in the courtroom have made it clear to Ms. Alvarez that there is a strong reason to take this to trial.

I have learned from come cop buddies it is all about the initial report and details on it.  If a cop charges a felony, and several if possible, some misdemeanors, and has an excellent report then even if the plead down the perp gets pinged for something rather than nothing.

The 7,500 threshold is meaningless.  As soon as it's reached the threshold is bumped up to a higher number.

On June 6th, within 10 days of the death of Bobby Cann, a printed copy of the names of over 4,500 signatures was sent by mail to Anita Alvarez, so I'm sure she's aware of it.

If anyone hasn't signed the petition it's still open so go ahead and sign it.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

(I seem to be chasing Bob around the 'net here. Just responded to his comment on the blog as well.)

Note that the petition has yet to garner enough signatures (5,662 vs the 7,500 threshold) for MoveOn.org to automatically sent it to Anita Alvarez' office. It's quite possible that she's mostly unaware of it at this point.

That said, I hope public pressure from the petition and the presence of cycling advocates in the courtroom have made it clear to Ms. Alvarez that there is a strong reason to take this to trial.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. 

I agree with Bob. If you haven't signed the petition, please do so.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service