The Chainlink

Lovely ride today & I'm still feeling good, in spite of those 3 wanna-be Olympians but didn't make the cut, speeding down a very crowded (w/ small children) lake shore bike path.  I don't understand why those idiot few feel the need to rudely scream and yell "on your left" at people when most other bikers are either ringing a bell &/or simply saying, not nastily yelling, "on your left" or "passing" followed by a "thank-you."  What's so wrong w/ being kind & decent? I don't get the rudeness and I believe that eventually they're going to encounter one of those muscle bound jogger dudes that'll knock them the F-OUT! No one takes kindly to some jerk yelling at them for no reason & there's a few out there that will retaliate, so watch yourselves rude boyz...

... & yes, I know & understand that some people aren't paying attention and have selective hearing but don't assume (making an ass out of U & not me) that ALL people walking, riding, roller-blading, skateboarding slower than you is dumb enough to get in your fools way.

Ok, I'm done & am putting the soap box away...

Views: 2398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've noticed (especially weekends on the NBT) that "on your left" gets used less and less often by riders in full-kit, traveling in pairs or triplets - 2 close calls just this morning.

I'm not speedster, but I'm not a slow-poke either; I've spent plenty of time waiting for a straightaway or less traffic before I pass, and always with an "OYL".

We're not running time trials on these paths - a little patience would go a long way.

There are cyclists for whom "On your left!" is synonymous with "Get out of my way!".  Last week a cyclist behind me yelled OYL several times in the Division bike lane in an attempt to pass me during rush hour alongside solid car traffic.  I wont ride in the door zone to allow him to pass in-lane.

The Lycra-set has priorities. That is? Them. They and also Theirs. It is perhaps likely that these individuals are not perusing the 'link for reflections and introspections.
Their primary priorities are shaving seconds and hair.

This is peak off-season for the lakefont path. It will become enjoyable again in a couple of months.

Just wait!

"On your left" is not supposed to be a warning, it's a courtesy - no different than using the turn signal in your car. The difference only seems small until you think about the attitude behind it. Don't threaten, be friendly and shame on you for not caring about the feelings you hurt. Even when justified, this is the kind of rude behavior that bites all bikers in the ass - remember that goof who isn't hugging the right edge is walking to the parking lot to get in his car and he will remember you. Without meaning to offend, you really need to consider how much difference there is between you and the asshole in the BMW honking at bikers as he squeezes by them. It doesn't sound like it's significant.

No matter how slow they're going, nobody owes it to you to get out of the way so you can "share." If you're trying to pass them it's because they got there first and have the right of way. You're supposed to yield. Period. A good ride isn't measured by how many people you scared the crap out of during your commute.

On the other hand, hollering at the knucklehead who is wandering all over the path is just good sport. I'm fond of "Oh, shit, you're gonna die" or "Waldo went home, you should too."

Tom Dworzanski said:

I say or yell "on your left" to ensure the safety of other path and road users as well as my safety as I pass. Most slow traffic keeps to the right and so only a light verbal warning is necessary. However when slow traffic moves to the center or even crosses over leaving little or no room to pass (usually for no reason at all), I feel it's important to issue a warning that will be taken seriously. And if that mean yelling "on your left" without a smile on my face, you'll just have to deal with hurt feelings.

The path has to be shared by slow and fast cyclists, no one's ride is more important than anyone else's.

Mickeal Teague said:

So just be nice, try saying "on your left" w/ a smile on face.

What are you talking about shame on me for not caring about the feelings I hurt? I'm trying to pass someone safely on the bicycle path; I'm not a 12 year old young lady with rapidly varying emotions trying to console my bestie about missing the latest Justin Bieber concert. There is nothing emotional about this situation unless you want to make it such. I don't know why you assume I say it in a threatening way or why you want to give me a lecture like this. I think you added a little too much color to my very directed black and white comments.

And FYI, turn signals are warnings required by law, they are not simply a courtesy.

My point was simply that being a "sweetie" when I say OYL doesn't always get the attention or respect of other users, and to be safe it's necessary to say it in a commanding way quite possibly without a smile. But this really only applies to cyclists who are really all over the path in the first place.

I will tell you though I think saying "thank you" is a nice courtesy that everyone should do. I do it almost always.

Reboot Oxnard said:

"On your left" is not supposed to be a warning, it's a courtesy - no different than using the turn signal in your car. The difference only seems small until you think about the attitude behind it. Don't threaten, be friendly and shame on you for not caring about the feelings you hurt. Even when justified, this is the kind of rude behavior that bites all bikers in the ass - remember that goof who isn't hugging the right edge is walking to the parking lot to get in his car and he will remember you. Without meaning to offend, you really need to consider how much difference there is between you and the asshole in the BMW honking at bikers as he squeezes by them. It doesn't sound like it's significant.

No matter how slow they're going, nobody owes it to you to get out of the way so you can "share." If you're trying to pass them it's because they got there first and have the right of way. You're supposed to yield. Period. A good ride isn't measured by how many people you scared the crap out of during your commute.

On the other hand, hollering at the knucklehead who is wandering all over the path is just good sport. I'm fond of "Oh, shit, you're gonna die" or "Waldo went home, you should too."

Tom Dworzanski said:

I say or yell "on your left" to ensure the safety of other path and road users as well as my safety as I pass. Most slow traffic keeps to the right and so only a light verbal warning is necessary. However when slow traffic moves to the center or even crosses over leaving little or no room to pass (usually for no reason at all), I feel it's important to issue a warning that will be taken seriously. And if that mean yelling "on your left" without a smile on my face, you'll just have to deal with hurt feelings.

The path has to be shared by slow and fast cyclists, no one's ride is more important than anyone else's.

Mickeal Teague said:

So just be nice, try saying "on your left" w/ a smile on face.

+1

I also think that the original poster may have been as dismayed with the peleton riding too fast for conditions as he did with their insincere warning.

djm said:

There are cyclists for whom "On your left!" is synonymous with "Get out of my way!".  Last week a cyclist behind me yelled OYL several times in the Division bike lane in an attempt to pass me during rush hour alongside solid car traffic.  I wont ride in the door zone to allow him to pass in-lane.

Agree. 

I have lots of years of riding in groups and in traffic and one learns that is is best to ride in a straight line.  Moving around on the road = crash. 

If you want to pass me, you have to wait until its safe to do so - not by getting me to move from my line.  That goes for cars, bikes, etc.

djm said:

I wear lycra when out for long rides..... :(  

And I don't shave my legs or worry about seconds, but I know what you mean.  And if I have to pass on the street and don't see a chance a head, I signal, check for a clearing, and take to the traffic lane.  No point in endangering another cyclist because I want to go fast, IMO.

bk (aka: Dr. Mambohead) said:

The Lycra-set has priorities. That is? Them. They and also Theirs. It is perhaps likely that these individuals are not perusing the 'link for reflections and introspections.
Their primary priorities are shaving seconds and hair.

This is peak off-season for the lakefont path. It will become enjoyable again in a couple of months.

Just wait!
Arie Crown Forest Trail System

Burnham Greenway Trail System

Busse Woods Bicycle Trail

Centennial Trail System

Deer Grove Trail System

Des Plaines Trail System

I & M Canal Trail System

North Branch Trail System

Palos Trail System

Poplar Creek Trail System

Sag Valley Trail System

Salt Creek Trail System

Thorn Creek Trail System

Tinley Creek Trail System
So um. According to Cook County Forest Preserves the trail rules for ALL trails is as follows:

http://198.65.148.212/tier3.php?content_id=68#rules

All Trails:

Trails are open from sunrise to sunset.
Motor vehicles prohibited.
RIDE/WALK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRAIL.
Give warning before passing other trail users.
Obey all stop signs.
Speed training or racing is NOT PERMITTED. Violators will be ticketed.
Keep dogs leashed and in control.
Please do not litter. Pack out more than you pack in.
Helmets are required for all bicycle riders 14 years and younger (effective Jan. 1, 2005).
In case of an emergency - call 911.

Clearly states no speed training and you need to give warning when passing. A lycranaut going over 20 mph on the NBT or LFT is usually in complete disregard of this.

HOWEVER: most car driver types view speed limit signs as suggestions or recommendations unless the law is present. I think the shouting on your left with a snarled lip on a trail can be a difficult social entry into the topic of entitlement. I mean if you spend all that money on shiny kits and bikes, surely you need to peacock through the 31st beach area and yell on your left to all the families. Best to display plumage

That being said, I have gone probably at times too fast on a trail. I have shouted on your left because I have gotten no acknowledgement from the person passing and I am scared that they are about to move erratically. I am also at times an idiot who gets happy on his bike and loses focus. If you want to get from point A to point B fast than ride in the road. It's easier. No crazy dog leash trip wires, segways, etc...if you want to speed train, use a velo, you want to enjoy a leisurely curvy pace and see a beautiful view of our city, bike the LPT.

Then again if cook county fpd isn't going to enforce any of their rules, some will clearly choose not to follow.

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

Clearly states no speed training and you need to give warning when passing. A lycranaut going over 20 mph on the NBT or LFT is usually in complete disregard of this.

The LFT is not part of the cook county forest preserves system especially since it's not in the list of trails that you gave.  So your comment about the lycra set violating these rules on LFT is not accurate.  
True about the LFT, but there was a previous post about the NBT and folks riding too fast on it.

As for Chicago Park District the rules are kinda obfuscated I think due to trying to make it a pleasant place for all. The links about the Lake Front Path are particularly confusing in regards to the "rules". However, the Chicago Park District does maintain that children should always come first.

The mission of the Chicago Park District is to:

Enhance the quality of life in Chicago by becoming the leading provider of recreation and leisure opportunities
Provide safe, inviting and beautifully maintained parks and facilities
Create a customer-focused and responsive park system that prioritizes the needs of children and families

So, I would say one of us biking quickly through an area like 31st, Oak Street,..etc would have to be going at such a speed to avoid collision with unpredictable families and kids. Furthermore those annoying four person cycle like wagons clogging everything up have more "priority" than one training.

Then again, if you were just feeling personally affronted and wished to correct me, then yes you are correct the comment was more into regards about the NBT previously mentioned in this post and not explicitly the LFP. From your picture, I take it you wear Lycra and understand that you might be personally offended by the general perceptions that people assume that means about you and your pastimes. In that case, assuming you're not a rage alcoholic type of Lycra guy - I apologize for any slight.

S said:

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

The LFT is not part of the cook county forest preserves system especially since it's not in the list of trails that you gave.  So your comment about the lycra set violating these rules on LFT is not accurate.  

I seldom take LFP, but I can't wait for the off season, so no more posts like this.

bk (aka: Dr. Mambohead) said:

Just wait!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mickeal Teague said:

Hmmm, some responders took an offensive approach to my post & I, hopefully didn't make you feel like you were on trial as I pointedly spoke of the (3) rude riders out of the many other normal riders I encountered. 

How could you not, when you post crap like below:

I don't get the rudeness and I believe that eventually they're going to encounter one of those muscle bound jogger dudes that'll knock them the F-OUT! No one takes kindly to some jerk yelling at them for no reason & there's a few out there that will retaliate, so watch yourselves rude boyz...

Sounds to me like you want to "knock them the F-OUT", but you don't really want to, but you secretly wish someone would do it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I say OYL loudly, not when I'm coming up to them and drafting, but only when I've already taken the left lane. I don't say it to make them move out of the way, but more to let them know that I am on their left and passing them. Now, if I prefixed that with "With all due respect,", then that's a different story :D

I would repeat it louder as I'm on their side, if they look like they're swerving more to the left, instead of staying the line.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service