The Chainlink

* Observations * (Final Polar Blast !') * from "Ice Station Zebra" * * ☆ (Mission Completed ! ) ☆ * *

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/resurging-arctic-chill-to-brin...

'Final Polar Blast?' These are the words of 'Weather Professor' Tom Skilling. For entertainment purposes only. :-) Have a good day 'ALL' you Chainlinkers. :-)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Chicago&state...

We are NOW going into our fourth month of winter weather! ENOUGH ALREADY !
Observers have sighted an artic air mass dropping down and sending temperatures dropping to single digits. Here we go again. Winter has returned once again. Back to "Ice Station Zebra".
Observers have also sighted some cranky guy named 'Bob' calling cyclists "winter wimps" again.
I BIKE WINTER ! (Whenever I can!)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/ice_station_zebra/

.☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Things that are observed when your regular daily pattern of movement (cycling) has been interrupted occassionly by conditions at "Ice Station Zebra."

You can get a different perspective during your travels when the reality of conditions dictate that you take public transportation, taxi, car ride share w/co-worker or walking to your daily destination.

Some things I've seen in length during my "off cycling" period observing behavior affecting cyclists safety, mostly deals with distracted behavior and the ever increasing extent of it.

Examples:

* I'm amazed at seeing the extent of drivers distracted with their smartphones and such while traveling in traffic at the same speed with them, instead of moving slowly along at cycling speed. This explains why I see all the bad driving while i'm cycling. EXTREME DISTRACTED BEHAVIOR !

* Has the mentality been reduced for driving a two-ton vehicle now so as it is bearly the primary responsibility, but a shared duty activity. Doesn't anyone JUST drive anymore?

* Carelessness to clear their windows of snow and ice and white rock salt dirt so that they can SAFELY SEE while driving. Many drivers don't give a damn! You see me, I don't care about you !

* The increasing lack of respect towards pedestrians of all ages and types during these winter conditions. Geez, I'm walking here driver ! Haven't you ever read the rules of the road ! I have ! Yield to pedestrians ! Not bully the pedestrians ! What's your rush! Are you gonna be LATE for the stoplight on the next block ? ! !

* The "Hooray it's winter, and all those damn cyclists are gone" aspect. "The streets are all ours again !" Full throttle flying with their AWD(all wheel drive) SUVs through the snow and ice that the plows have cleared just for them !

* Why does this city prioritize snow removal for the benefit of vehicular movement and hinder pedestrians by plowing the snow into the corner crosswalk/sidewalk/curb bus stop/area for them to climb over? Are the bike lanes always promptly cleared?

* We are very near to election day here in Chicago. Every aspect of city life affects how I vote on election day. I know who, and why I'm voting for them, do you? Don't only VENT, act ! Power to people who bike !

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

* Your observations, thoughts and replies have been greatly appreciated. I would like to thank all the 'good' Chainlink members who tolerated my 'creative, eccentric, inspirational, humorous, motivational, and quirky' writing style. :-) ♡ . . . All the best to the 'good' out there ! See 'U' down the road !

Our mission at "Ice Station Zebra" is completed ! My regards and appreciation for your service. Salute !

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Winter is War, don't surrender ! Battle on ! We're still in this fight ! "(at least till April)

finale ♡

Views: 2024

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't able to use the bike today. I was wondering if the bike lanes were 'cleared' and 'usable' today? I had to use the CTA today and found nearly all of the bus shelters were unshoveled and in horrendous shape. I mentioned in this thread that the city should spread the effort in snow removal to help mass transit riders and not totally prioritize snow removal for the benefit of vehicular traffic.
Reply by Eric R 50 minutes ago

Hopefully we won't be picking lines in March but the last few days have been enjoyable, though I've given up on Augusta, the bike lane is completely gone.

Eric R has reported in the thread 'picking a line' that the Augusta bike lane is completely gone.
Permalink Reply by Heather B 55 minutes ago

Rode Milwaukee - Damen - Jackson - Racine on my way to work today around 11am.  Milwaukee was fine, Damen & Jackson were sloppy, and Racine was perfect.  They are using the Jackson PBL as snow storage again...just like last year.  It was probably piled up to my waist.  Only encountered a few impatient drivers, most were very hesitant to get anywhere near me.  

Heather B. has reported in the thread 'I rode today' that they are using the Jackson PBL as a snow storage spot.

Considering the volume of passengers getting on and off buses in the Loop, most of the bus stops are in ridiculously bad shape. Many only have a narrow path for boarding, and no cleared area for the rear exit door.  It's especially bad at some of the stops along State St. that serve as many as 6-8+ bus routes.  I made a 311 report yesterday on multiple locations. I hope that others will, too.

Tom A.K. said:

I had to use the CTA today and found nearly all of the bus shelters were unshoveled and in horrendous shape. I mentioned in this thread that the city should spread the effort in snow removal to help mass transit riders and not totally prioritize snow removal for the benefit of vehicular traffic.
Permalink Reply by Louie Louie 5 hours ago

Thanks for this thread. I had my worst commute yesterday between getting splash with all the melted snow and the bike lane on kedzie being full of snow from cars parking on the street. Maybe I'll allow myself a little more time today and think of it as an adventure.

Louie Louie has reported on the thread 'pick your line' that the bike lane on Kedzie is full of snow from cars parking on the street.
This Sunday morning, I'm seeing that the city is slowly sending out crews to 'widen-out' main streets to the curb so parked cars could get back to where they should be. They are using front end loaders and dump trucks to pick up the frozen black snow and relocating it to a open land areas for melting. Hopefully, the SLOW process of catching up and recovering from the 19" Blizzard will get things back to near normal again, finally!

Need to be renamed Slush Station Zebra

The Ice is back ! There is sneaky black patch ice everywhere ! Be careful on your ride in to 'Ice Station Zebra'.

Haddon said:

Need to be renamed Slush Station Zebra

Back Brake Season, I call it. Rear brake with a foot down at every stop this morning. Not the worst I've ridden, but icy enough to focus the mind.

Canal is fairly clear now, but that's mostly due to snow melt and not city plowing.

On the contrary, this morning, I came across a crew of city workers in a pool van shoveling snow off of the sidewalk and INTO THE BIKE LANE near the Congress bridge.

It's 'Polar Plunge Week'! We are going into the fourth month of winter weather! Enough already!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service