It took me about 20 minutes to get ice tea and some food for my lunch. When I was coming back to work, these two women (see picture below) were still standing in the middle of the hallway, talking. They did move a couple of feet, though: when I say them on my way out, they were standing square in the center, people navigating around them.

WTF is wrong with people?

(It just happened that there was no one else down there when I snapped this photo; it usually is rather crowded.)

Views: 787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw this at least a dozen times yesterday in the Loop.  :(

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Yup. May be I should have asked, WTF is wrong with US?

spencewine said:

It's not all that different than when cyclists pull into the ped walk at an intersection and force pedestrians to go around them, sometimes into traffic. I see it several times everyday.

It's everywhere.

Walking to lunch on the loop, you see people walking on the sidewalk 3 or 4 side by side, thus everyone else must move. Yesterday, I saw a group of 5 that was walking toward me on the sidewalk side-by-side. I wasn't looking for any kind of deliberate confrontation on my part - but also didn't want to have to move from my path, so I looked down on my phone and walked on the right side of the side walk, closer to the wall. Of course, they moved. I'm sure they thought I was an idiot for not looking at where I was going :)

This morning, we have to go through one of two rotating doors to get into our building, and a group of 5, again, gathered and blocked both rotating doors. I said firmly "pardon me" and one of them heard me and he moved just a half a step, thinking that would've been sufficient. So then, that was when the sharp tone and loud "excuse me" came out.

It is eveywhere. We need the first run of Lisa's "I am special; just ask me" stickers to be at least 10,000 units. 

Has anyone seen the bell work quite that way with pedestrians on the LFP?

Chris C said:

I've found CTA passengers to be some of the worst offenders.

The newer buses will ALWAYS have someone standing in the rear doorway even if there are seats available.

I also enjoy the clueless that stand directly in front of the doors when you're trying to get off the el.

"Get off my lawn, you damn kids!" *shakes fist angrily*

Usually, you have to be pretty close on a trail for people to respond to the bell.  I partially blame the ice cream trikes for this:). Also In Japan, riding on the sidewalk is very common and accepted; that's why you see the instant response in the video.

Lisa Curcio said:

Chris C said:

Ther Verve's way of dealing with Pavement Cattle™:

I got one of these about a year ago for my touring bike:

Liked it so much, I got another one for my commuter/utility bike. It's LOUD, and as an added benefit, the peal resonates for a full block after the bell is struck. Bells in general are rare enough that they tend to get people's attention. I am constantly surprised by how effective this bell is at getting the attention of MV driver's, pedestrians and other bike riders. I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that anything would make a difference on the LFT this time of year though. 

MagMileMarauder said:

Usually, you have to be pretty close on a trail for people to respond to the bell.  I partially blame the ice cream trikes for this:). Also In Japan, riding on the sidewalk is very common and accepted; that's why you see the instant response in the video.

Lisa Curcio said:

Chris C said:

From the "Compact Oxford English Dictionary": 

peal (noun) 1 a loud ringing of a bell or bells. . . . .

I would never discourage "persnicketiness," but a peal includes "the loud ringing of a bell or set of bells."

Chris C said:

Not to be persnickety but does not peal imply several bells and not a single bell?

Kevin C said:

I got one of these about a year ago for my touring bike:

Liked it so much, I got another one for my commuter/utility bike. It's LOUD, and as an added benefit, the peal resonates for a full block after the bell is struck. Bells in general are rare enough that they tend to get people's attention. I am constantly surprised by how effective this bell is at getting the attention of MV driver's, pedestrians and other bike riders. I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that anything would make a difference on the LFT this time of year though. 

MagMileMarauder said:

Lisa Curcio said:

Chris C said:

311 S. Wacker. 2 blocks from where I work. nice

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service