The Chainlink

I figured that I would start a thread to see if we could get some sort of chainlink group to ride together. My plan is to ride at a fairly casual pace and enjoy myself, so I'm looking for others to do the same. And, as many people know, the ride is much more enjoyable and goes by faster when you're in good company. I know I already asked James, but who else would be down for this? And, what time would you all plan on meeting?

Views: 4386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We will be doing the classic century.  We plan to start at 6am.  There will be a group of us that will start the ride at West Loop to Evanston and then start the classic century.  I'll look out for some of you on the road. 

I'm in too. I signed up for 50 miles, but if I can join a group at casual to moderate pace for 100 miles, I'll jump ship.

I will be riding the NSC as well, and I would be fine to either go at a more casual pace or a slightly faster one. I like the idea of a 15-ish mph cruising pace.

Generally, the 50, 62 and 100 all start and ride together until the first rest stop at Heller Nature Center. The 62 runs a spur that returns to that same rest stop and then rides the same as the 50.  I have not seen this year's routes and do not know if they have been changed. They rejoin towards the end. The 25 mile route, which I will be marking, does not joint the other routes until the very end.

Great info.   About how far along the course is the first rest stop? About 15-20 miles?

David Barish said:

Generally, the 50, 62 and 100 all start and ride together until the first rest stop at Heller Nature Center. The 62 runs a spur that returns to that same rest stop and then rides the same as the 50.  I have not seen this year's routes and do not know if they have been changed. They rejoin towards the end. The 25 mile route, which I will be marking, does not joint the other routes until the very end.

The rest stop  is at Northcroft, not Heller.  They are both on Ridge.  Its about 18 miles to that stop. 

I like this plan.  I'm coming from Oak Park via CTA train to Howard, planning on doing the Classic.

kiltedcelt said:

I'm on board for the slower pace as well. I think a good idea is what James has already mentioned - riding and AVERAGE of 12-13 mph. I too ride at a faster pace which is generally pretty good for lesser distances but not for 100 miles. I'm up for meeting up starting at probably 6:30 - 7:00, since people are going to need to register and such. As long as we're all probably hitting the road by 7:00 - 7:30, I think we'll have no problem doing the 100 miles within the time frame.

Hey guys, I just got word that The Chainlink can have a table starting at 11 am at the ride so we can chat up people after the ride and tell them about the site.  

Anyone able to help represent?   

I'm thinking of starting at 6-630.  Want to get most of the miles in before noon.  Just registered today.  

Well, the 10 day weather forecast is finally out, and includes the 23rd. If it holds true, we're in for a perfect day of cycling @ 75 degrees and partly cloudy.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a little light rain.  It sort of makes it more romantic as an epic struggle of man against nature.  

But I'm a weirdo.  No point in trying to hide that :-D

Maybe it is because I spent money on nice fenders, rain gear (even a helmet raincover) and all that stuff and I'd like to put it to a little use every once in a while.   A bit of casual schadenfreude directed at those who came less prepared can be fun too...

I can probably help a the CL table julie as my ankle will still be broken. I may also be volunteering at the rainbow ride table; but I can figure it out next week. I will miss riding !

Dan

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service