The Chainlink

newly approved development - will affect some south side bike routes

As reported in the Southtown Star, a large new development proposal has just been approved at 91st & Western.  This would be a huge strip mall at the southwest corner of the intersection (across from Beverly Bike).

Right now, 91st St. is one of our few good east-west through routes from Beverly to Evergreen Park (with connections to points west).  Having such a huge retail development - and all the traffic that will come with it - at a critical intersection will have a significant impact on cyclists in the area.

This development is sure to require a major reconfiguration of the intersection, 91st St. and Western.  I believe this will REQUIRE safe accommodations for bikes and pedestrians under Complete Streets.  Please chime in on this aspect if you're a planner or otherwise familiar with whether I am correct on this.

Unless we speak up NOW for bike and ped accommodations, we could be stuck with the results for years and face the potential loss of a good bike route.

Evergreen Park cyclists - I hope you'll join in on this to urge EP government to require bike and ped accommodations around this development.  I know there are a few of you out there. 

19th ward cyclists - I hope you will also join in and voice your concerns to Alderman Matt O'Shea and to city government in Evergreen Park.

Other south side cyclists - We need you, too.  Speak up!

Views: 643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you want to ride to the public meeting tonight, be at the NW corner of 91st & Western (auto clinic) by 7:10, ready to roll.  There IS bike parking at the entrance of the Evergreen Park municipal building, as well as the SE corner of the public library (1 block east).

There was a huge turnout at the meeting, about 120-130 in the audience.  Many spoke out against the proposed development.  I asked whether there was a plan to improve 91st St. to ensure safe bike and pedestrian access.  The mayor said they were working on a plan. He also said "in spite of rumors to the contrary, we do want to encourage bikes and pedestrians."  Um, it's a little more than rumors.  How about their negative track record over the last several years?

Given the number of obviously b.s. answers he gave to other questions, I am somewhat skeptical about his response.  I will be following up with a letter to him, thanking him for his promise of "an improved bike and pedestrian experience" and copying plenty of people, including State Representative Kelly Burke.

And in case you're wondering, 3 of us rode to the meeting.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service