The Chainlink

Hi everyone!

I'm a month into biking and am really excited for Critical Mass this Friday.

Never done it before and don't know anyone else who's going.

Anyone else out there new to this and want to meet up before it starts?

Views: 1225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is all well and good.. but what about the maximizing of the strategies.... in terms of the community... and the networking... Did I mention strategies?

Not lovin' it.  I couldn't make that ride but was a little concerned that there apparently were only something like 30 participants from what I heard. No weather extremes to explain it.  I can't recall a winter ride in the past 8-10 years with less than 50, and that's bitter cold conditions.

122782_ said:

Bahahahaha love it

James BlackHeron said:

I think there were more cops than actual humans riding at the beginning.

Why do you think it's going north?

I took the afternoon off for CM and then my damn orchestra decided it can take over my life and move rehearsal from Thurs to Fri, so looks like I'll be towing my horn and hoping we don't stray too far from the west loop for the first hour.

If anyone is willing to draft a "concentric circle" route that slowly spirals outward from the loop, I'll help with printing and help get one in people's hands. It was still light out at 7 tonight so people might actually use a map.

Juan said:

Aw crap! looks like the first big ride of the year, and it will predictably end up going north again...

This month's event link is here.

I'm hoping to go but have nephew babysitting duties in Deerfield until 4:30. Would like to bring him since he just got a bike, but metra has its stupid rush hour rules!

It's okay because you're going in to the city in the evening. They'll let you take the bikes.

Julie Hochstadter said:

This month's event link is here.

I'm hoping to go but have nephew babysitting duties in Deerfield until 4:30. Would like to bring him since he just got a bike, but metra has its stupid rush hour rules!

Hey, how 'bout a theme ride?

The internet says March is Foot Health Month, Humorists Are Artist Month, National Furniture Refinishing Month, National Frozen Food Month, National Noodle Month, and National Peanut Month.

I think one of the reasons the February Mass was so poorly attended was the fact that many (most?) of us were instead at the Gala Gallery, for the closing party of the Bike Winter Art Show (with puppets, the Racketeers and fashion show).

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/event/listByDate?date=2012-02-24

Gina Overshiner: Groupon has a deal that may be useful to you in getting bikes for the Mass: 

http://www.groupon.com/deals/lakeshore-bike-4?c=dnb&dl=d47388&a... 

It's a pretty safe bet...

h' said:

In all my 10+ years riding the Mass since I moved to the loop. I have sharply noticed how the ride tends to go and stay north. My best guess is that few hardcore riders exist south of Roosevelt and the cycling infrastucture on that side of town is pretty lame and even more disjointed than the north side.

James BlackHeron said:

It's a pretty safe bet...

h' said:

Ricardo, Thanks for the generous offer.  We are looking into all options.  I will let you know what we decide soon...we'll be arriving in Chicago in about 2 hours.  Thanks again for the offer.

Ricardo J Rivera said:

I have two extra bikes for adults. If you need them let me know.

Gina Overshiner said:

I don't live in Chicago, but love it and will be in town on Friday with my daughter (11) and husband. I always try to schedule my Chicago trips around Critical Mass, because Critical Mass Chicago is amazing!!!  Only problem is we are unable to bring our bikes.  SO does anyone have any suggestions about an affordable place to borrow/rent 3 bikes for Critical Mass this Friday?

I was there, it was poorly attended.

h' said:

Not lovin' it.  I couldn't make that ride but was a little concerned that there apparently were only something like 30 participants from what I heard. No weather extremes to explain it.  I can't recall a winter ride in the past 8-10 years with less than 50, and that's bitter cold conditions.

122782_ said:

Bahahahaha love it

James BlackHeron said:

I think there were more cops than actual humans riding at the beginning.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service