The Chainlink

Important Winter Weather Information Re: The 606
"The Chicago Park District will remove snow and keep the center of the trail clear when there is a minor snowfall. When the path is being cleared, please be advised, the full width of the trail cannot be cleared to protect rubber running surfaces on the edges. In order to protect the trail and plants, only a brush can be used to remove snow and a solution called CMA in place of salt to stop ice from forming. Please steer clear of snow removal crews.

"In the event of a significant snowfall (ranging from 3-6 inches and dependent on additional factors such as wind and snow wetness), the Chicago Park District will not remove snow in efforts to promote winter activities. Please keep in mind winter sports (snowshoeing, cross country skiing) are only allowed and encouraged on the trail when snow exceeds 3 inches. Visit The606.org or call 312.742.4622 for up-to-date information."

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either way...bikes win!

I hope it stays covered for a while longer. It has been fun to ride on this week.

While it is the Chicago Park District's new policy NOT to plow the 606 after significant (3+ inches) snowfall to "promote winter activities", this shouldn't be the case:

"Near Northwest Side’s Bloomingdale Trail, aka The 606, which was partly funded by federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality funds because it was intended to serve as a transportation corridor, not just a place to catch some rays or get a workout. 21 schools are located within a half mile of the Bloomingdale, so many families use it to walk or bike to school, even during the winter."

Full article on Streetsblog:
http://chi.streetsblog.org/2016/12/16/a-tale-of-two-trails-why-is-t...

Yeah, realized my comment was pretty selfish after reading the Streetsblog piece.

Not at all! Just your perspective. I like xc skiing and if I didn't have friends that are struggling to bike commute because of the 606, I wouldn't have realized the impact. 

John Greenfield interviews the 606 snowplow: 
"What do you make of the park district’s evolving policy towards snows clearance?"

"The 606 Snowplow: It’s disappointing. If they don’t have budget to clear the trail, or if their machinery isn’t up to the task, they should be transparent about it. The trail was beautifully maintained last winter, and it was a usable commuting route. Even when there was a single [plowed] lane down the center, it was much better than sharing side streets with distracted drivers. I bet someone could crowdfund a private service to clear the trail if the city is unwilling or unable! But come on, let’s be honest about the task at hand."

Full interview:

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2016/12/20/streetsblog-chicagos-exclusiv...

Would you be in violation of city/state ordinance if you were to use a bike plow on the 606 or bike lanes?

From what the Chicago Park District is saying, it could damage the rubber running surface, "When the path is being cleared, please be advised, the full width of the trail cannot be cleared to protect rubber running surfaces on the edges."

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service