The Chainlink

Calling all Chainlinker's!!!
 Rapid Transit Cycles is opening a new store at 1305 S Halsted on March 31st! We look forward to being the south loop's transportation alternative. So get the word out!! It's going to be a great summer!!  Ride safe, and we'll see you then!!

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or it's just needlessly off-topic and in need of moderation.

Lionel Senderowicz said:
I'll let you figure that out:)
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Lionel,

Is this a response to Mike's post about Rapid's 3-week Full Tune class, a bash against Rapid, or just paranoid posting? And how is it related to the thread's subject of RT opening a new shop location?

Lionel Senderowicz said:
Always get a second opinion when going into ANY bike shop to confirm they're not just trying to sell you overpriced parts available online (or from a used bike) at a fraction of their cost.

Or...support your local bike shop! :) <3 :O)
Lionel,

I just spent the last three Sunday nights in Rapid Transit and got to see how they operate, the parts they use, their business practices, and the skills of their mechanics. As a result, I have nothing but the highest respect and greatest regard for Rapid Transit. I bought several parts to use as a replacement on my bike and was pleased with all of them. The mechanics were knowledgeable, thorough, and conscientious.

Last night I saw one of the staff spend about an hour going over a receipt on a detailed custom order to make sure it was done properly. Few bike shops, let alone retail stores would do the same.

I work as an attorney prosecuting cases stemming from professional negligence. I also author the IllinoisBicycleLaw.com blog. I assure you if there was something wrong with that shop or any other I'd be the first one to point it out.

Rapid Transit is a great shop and does not deserve your vague accusations.

Lionel Senderowicz said:
Or it's just needlessly on topic and in need of moderation censorship

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Or it's just needlessly off-topic and in need of moderation.
Lionel Senderowicz said:
I'll let you figure that out:)
Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Lionel,

Is this a response to Mike's post about Rapid's 3-week Full Tune class, a bash against Rapid, or just paranoid posting? And how is it related to the thread's subject of RT opening a new shop location? Lionel Senderowicz said:
Always get a second opinion when going into ANY bike shop to confirm they're not just trying to sell you overpriced parts available online (or from a used bike) at a fraction of their cost.

Was kind of hoping the RT folks would do their own research.
You did leave out the name by which most of the west side and much of the south side used to refer to the area (most west siders over 40 or so still do . . .)

Mike Keating said:
First, have to add a plug for Rapid Transit Cycles. I finished a 3-week bike maintenance course there yesterday and have to say I had a great time and learned a ton. Thanks to Sam and John and Jeremiah and anyone else I forgot. I highly recommend the class no matter how much you think you know (or don't know) there is power in numbers and you can learn from others.
Second, 1200-1300 South Halsted is not the South Loop. Technically speaking it is the Near West Side. In recent years it has been rebranded as "University Village" and in years past it has been known as the "TriTaylor Area" or even just simply "Maxwell Street Market".
I know. I actually wrote it and then thought the phrase was simply too politically incorrect and I deleted it. I was worried that it would sound anti-semetic even though it is a historical fact that is what the area was referred to as recently as the late 1990's by many Chicagoans. I didn't want it to seem that I condoned the language in any way and thought it best to just leave it alone. If anyone is curious, I'm sure a google search will give you the answer.

H3N3 said:
You did leave out the name by which most of the west side and much of the south side used to refer to the area (most west siders over 40 or so still do . . .)

Mike Keating said:
First, have to add a plug for Rapid Transit Cycles. I finished a 3-week bike maintenance course there yesterday and have to say I had a great time and learned a ton. Thanks to Sam and John and Jeremiah and anyone else I forgot. I highly recommend the class no matter how much you think you know (or don't know) there is power in numbers and you can learn from others.
Second, 1200-1300 South Halsted is not the South Loop. Technically speaking it is the Near West Side. In recent years it has been rebranded as "University Village" and in years past it has been known as the "TriTaylor Area" or even just simply "Maxwell Street Market".
What a completely paranoid and unwarranted posting.

Lionel Senderowicz said:

Agreed! Congratulations, this is really exciting stuff! I'll be sure to come down and visit.

Lee Diamond said:

Lionel Senderowicz said:

Mike Keating said:
... Rapid Transit is a great shop and does not deserve your vague accusations.

I've had a couple of really great experiences at Rapid Transit. Many years ago I had a chain failure about a block from the shop two minutes before the shop's closing time. I walked the bike in just as they were locking up and the mechanic on duty volunteered to stay late and fix it on the spot. I wish I could remember her name.

More recently (2008?), Rapid Transit ordered a box of 100 patches for me. The only other place in town that would sell bulk patches was Quick Release (that I was aware of at the time anyway). But when I'd ask about getting a box Joe would just insist on selling me however many I wanted at the time. He was too nice to let me wait for a special order and I was too nice to insist.

Before I started using Armadillos* I'd average a few flats a month and it drove me crazy that patch kits include enough glue and sandpaper to install several dozen patches, but only five or six patches.

*I'm going to try some Schwalbe Marathons next though.
The location of that Kozy's store on Des Plaines is kinda frustrating. Much less convenient than the old Printer's Row location.

H3N3 said:
Kind of telling that nobody even mentions Kozy's.
In any event I do think John Clark would be well-advised to learn a little bit about the neighborhood he's moving into-- name, past names, history.
It is =not= the South Loop, and you're not going to get South Loop people considering the world west of 90/94 as a place to go buy a bicycle.
It may be further south than some of you live or ride, but Beverly Bike & Ski at 91st & Western is a good shop. I've been very happy with their service. They've also got winter stuff (x-c skis to buy or rent, snow shoes, and sleds) when the snow is flying.

Dr. Doom said:
Finally a decent shop on the South Side – sorry the other 2 really suck, limited on all fronts!!!

That's a bit much—there are three really good shops in Hyde Park and Woodlawn alone. I'll admit South Side shops tend to be a bit quirky and niche-oriented, but that's not really a bad thing. At any rate, great to see Rapid Transit expanding, especially in this economy.
When I was buying my Dahon folder several years back, it was a pleasure working with Rapid Transit on North Ave. I was able to test ride (and test fold) several different bikes (both Dahon and Bike Friday) to get a good sense of which bike was right for me. They gave me good service after the sale. I look forward to checking out their new location in the Maxwell St. area. Maybe I'll look at some recumbents.

P.S. On the topic of tires, Schwalbe Marathons are excellent. I've used them on my Dahon since it was new. Much of my riding has been in areas with railroad tracks and broken glass and I've had NO flats on the road with these tires.

Tony Adams said:
Mike Keating said:
... Rapid Transit is a great shop and does not deserve your vague accusations.

I've had a couple of really great experiences at Rapid Transit. Many years ago I had a chain failure about a block from the shop two minutes before the shop's closing time. I walked the bike in just as they were locking up and the mechanic on duty volunteered to stay late and fix it on the spot. I wish I could remember her name.

More recently (2008?), Rapid Transit ordered a box of 100 patches for me. The only other place in town that would sell bulk patches was Quick Release (that I was aware of at the time anyway). But when I'd ask about getting a box Joe would just insist on selling me however many I wanted at the time. He was too nice to let me wait for a special order and I was too nice to insist.

Before I started using Armadillos* I'd average a few flats a month and it drove me crazy that patch kits include enough glue and sandpaper to install several dozen patches, but only five or six patches.

*I'm going to try some Schwalbe Marathons next though.
this would be a great stop for a future CM ride to welcome them to the 'hood and tell everyone
'happy friday'.

DB

Julie Hochstadter said:
Agreed! Congratulations, this is really exciting stuff! I'll be sure to come down and visit.

Lee Diamond said:

Lionel Senderowicz said:

I still hear it all the time, but then I deal with a lot of westsiders on an everyday basis.
I've always thought "J-town" would be a better name for that area than "University Village"-- it's a nod to the history, but not overtly offensive. "University Village" smacks of the exact flavor of sanitation that embodies the worst side of gentrification.

We could then rename all of the other neighborhoods in the same scheme.

We've already got a K-town. Andersonville could be A-town. Bridgeport and Bronzeville could duke it out for B-town. Etc . . .

Mike Keating said:
I know. I actually wrote it and then thought the phrase was simply too politically incorrect and I deleted it. I was worried that it would sound anti-semetic even though it is a historical fact that is what the area was referred to as recently as the late 1990's by many Chicagoans. I didn't want it to seem that I condoned the language in any way and thought it best to just leave it alone. If anyone is curious, I'm sure a google search will give you the answer.

H3N3 said:

Mike Keating said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service